What's new

ICANN proposes creating .INTERNAL domain to do the same job as 192.168.x.x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mogsy

Read the ICANN report - it's mostly around non-TLD's and misconfigured local DNS caching servers - e..g DNSMasq and Unbound for LAN side...

To do the same job as .local or .lan (or any other non-Global TLD's) - this sounds a lot like complaints...

This isn't going to fix the problem...

Read the ICANN report - it's mostly around non-TLD's and misconfigured local DNS caching servers - e..g DNSMasq and Unbound for LAN side...

To do the same job as .local or .lan (or any other non-Global TLD's) - this sounds a lot like complaints...

This isn't going to fix the problem...
With technologies like HSTS, some manufacturers are discovering they did an "Oopsie" in their early decisions there. Like Asus last year, whose asus.com domain suddenly had an HSTS policy, breaking every router that was being accessed through router.asus.com. They ended up registering a bunch of product-specific domains to replace that generic FQDN.

With technologies like HSTS, some manufacturers are discovering they did an "Oopsie" in their early decisions there. Like Asus last year, whose asus.com domain suddenly had an HSTS policy, breaking every router that was being accessed through router.asus.com. They ended up registering a bunch of product-specific domains to replace that generic FQDN.

The whole "let's capture a hostname on localnet" scenario was always a bit broken thoughts there...

router.asus.com is a public TLD - router.asus.lan or router.asus.local is not a public TLD...

Do we really need yet another TLD schema?

The whole "let's capture a hostname on localnet" scenario was always a bit broken thoughts there...

router.asus.com is a public TLD - router.asus.lan or router.asus.local is not a public TLD...

Do we really need yet another TLD schema?
They didn't go for a new TLD, they just registered .com/.net domains that are reserved for their devices.

I suspect one of the reasons for using a public TLD is that if you aren't using the router's DNS, the hostname can point to some AWS page that might show a proper helpful error page or point to a support FAQ.

They didn't go for a new TLD, they just registered .com/.net domains that are reserved for their devices.

I suspect one of the reasons for using a public TLD is that if you aren't using the router's DNS, the hostname can point to some AWS page that might show a proper helpful error page or point to a support FAQ.

My thoughts were more focused on ICANN, not the router vendors...

I have no issues with the vendors using an internally resolved hostname.domain.tld...

My thoughts were more focused on ICANN, not the router vendors...
I'm OK with ICANN pushing for a new dedicated TLD for that. At least it's not just a cash grab like the slew of new TLDs from a few years ago.

Raise your hand if, like me, you had to manage mail servers, and you quickly ended up blacklisting the whole .xyz TLD at the time...

I missed out on that one, but seeing the thread title again just now it occurs to me ".internal" is maybe a little too much typing, though not nearly as bad as something like verizonwirelessmusiccenter.com which was almost harder than remembering 9-12 numbers.

Raise your hand if, like me, you had to manage mail servers, and you quickly ended up blacklisting the whole .xyz TLD at the time...

Did you see the whole google proposal for the .zip TLD?

I'm hoping that one is put to bed (or better yet, shot in the head behind the shed) for basic security concerns...

Did you see the whole google proposal for the .zip TLD?
Heard about it, and how everyone with half a brain told them it was a really, really bad idea.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!