What's new

Few questions, ipv6 and OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisinsocalif

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I know very little about IPv6. I activated IPv6 with time warner and it works. The only caveat I have is when I do a test it gets a score of 17/20. One of the problems is that that Time Warner does not have a reverse DNS record. I know this isn't under my control. What is this and how does it impact my network? The second issue from the test is saying:
Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.
I do not know if that is good, bad, or if I should change something. Again, what is this and how does it impact my network?

Second, I use T-mobile. When I try to use OpenVPN over mobile, it seems to have connectivity issues with IPv6. The OpenVPN app for android states it supports IPv6. It connects no problem over wifi. Is there a way I can overcome this? I can change my phone to IPv4, but hope I can workaround that issue. Can another app work in place of OpenVPN? The log says " MULTI_sva: pool returned IPv4=10.8.0.2, IPv6=(Not enabled)" so could that be the issue? What other information can I supply?
thank you for any input.

Chris

Fyi I am using Merlin's 380.57 on an AC88U.

Last edited:
Hello,
I know very little about IPv6. I activated IPv6 with time warner and it works. The only caveat I have is when I do a test it gets a score of 17/20. One of the problems is that that Time Warner does not have a reverse DNS record. I know this isn't under my control. What is this and how does it impact my network?
Reverse DNS is the ability to ask 'what is the domain associated with this IP address', as opposed to standard (forward) DNS witch is 'what is the IP address for this domain'. No impact, unless you are trying to run your own email server and want it accessible via IPv6 (some email servers require reverse DNS).

The second issue from the test is saying:

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

I do not know if that is good, bad, or if I should change something. Again, what is this and how does it impact my network?
Windows by default blocks ICMPv6 ping which violates the IPv6 spec. You should allow ICMPv6 pings through the Windows firewall. Look for an entry 'File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv6-In)'

Second, I use T-mobile. When I try to use OpenVPN over mobile, it seems to have connectivity issues with IPv6. The OpenVPN app for android states it supports IPv6. It connects no problem over wifi. Is there a way I can overcome this? I can change my phone to IPv4, but hope I can workaround that issue. Can another app work in place of OpenVPN? The log says " MULTI_sva: pool returned IPv4=10.8.0.2, IPv6=(Not enabled)" so could that be the issue? What other information can I supply?
thank you for any input.
Are you trying to connect to your network by connecting to an OpenVPN server running on the router? If so, IPv6 isn't supported for the connection. If you are trying to connect to a different, external server, it is also likely a configuration on their end (most commercial VPN providers also don't support IPv6 yet). Shouldn't be a problem, as it will use IPv4 automatically instead.

Thank you for the reply. I have the openvpn server running on my ac88u router. My Tmobile phone uses ipv6, so it has issues with the connection even if I have my home router using ipv6. The openvpn app says it supports ipv6 but you state it's not supported on the server side? Is there a drawback switching my phone to ipv4?
Alsp ipv6 broke for time warner, so I have to wait for a modem update before i can use it again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. I have the openvpn server running on my ac88u router. My Tmobile phone uses ipv6, so it has issues with the connection even if I have my home router using ipv6. The openvpn app says it supports ipv6 but you state it's not supported on the server side? Is there a drawback switching my phone to ipv4?
Alsp ipv6 broke for time warner, so I have to wait for a modem update before i can use it again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Are you sure it's ipv6/ipv4 problems that are affecting your phone?

Regarding your phone, support of IPv6-only seems very strange.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!