What's new

Finally wired my house, now looking for equipment...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zolty

Occasional Visitor
Quite basic home network: 2 PC, 2 laptops, several smartphonesf, few tablets, few TVs etc House is wired with cat 6 - 13 lines meeting in a basement with ISPs ONT in a rack. ISP gives 900 mbps down and 280 up.
Amateur wifi survey indicates that I'll need 3 APs to cover 3 storeys, brick and concrete house with 5 GHz.

I have thought to use following:
Router: Edgerouter 4 instead of ONT
APs: 1 x AC LR + 2 x Flex HD
Switch: Cisco SG 250(X) or 350(X)... and that is where my questions come after this long introduction:
1. Will SG350X give me any advantage over SG250X in such a simple network?
2. Can 10G ports on SGs be used to connect (future) NAS or are they for stacking/upling only?
3. Would it be reasonable to use separate switch for APs (SG250/350 - 10P) and separate for non PoE part?
Thanks.

Yes you can use the 10 gig ports for your NAS. If you have a lot of power users then it will help. You can also connect your workstation to a 10 gig port for really fast response if you are using wire.

I have not used a Cisco SG250x switch but it will work. I would buy which ever one you get the best price on.

I only separate my Cisco APs in a separate switch because the fans are real noisy in a 24 port POE+ Cisco switch. So I run a Cisco SG300-10MPP switch to power my Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. If it is off in a rack somewhere this may not be a problem for you. It is more expensive my way. You do get more overall power with a 24 port POE+ switch than the smaller switches. I don't know what your power requirements are? Cisco publishes for each POE+ switch power avaible.

If you are only going to run layer 2 in your Cisco switch then you might want to take a look at using a Cisco RV345P router and 2 Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. The RV345P will give you 8 ports of POE+ and 16 gig ports, no 10 gig. It will be a lot cheaper. Here is a link for the RV345P.

I like layer 3 switches and using them.

It was you, posting in another thread who made me look into SMB Cisco for home..
I wonder what advantages running layer 3 would give me at home ?
I will have a look into RV-345.
Can it route 900/280?

Make sure you look at the RV345P not the RV345 as the "P" gives you power over ethernet POE+ to run the wireless like the Cisco WAP581 wireless APs all contained in a small package. To run your house you only need 3 devices with this setup. If you want to add another AP just buy another Cisco WAP581 AP and plug it into a POE port on the Cisco RV345P and you are done hardware wise. Run the single point wizard and all 3 Cisco WAP581 APs will be working as 1 virtual wireless AP.

Yes it is a gig router.

Layer 3 switch is a step up in switching technology. Using multiple networked VLANs it allows the switch to handle the load and not bother the router. If you are going to just run layer 2 and not use layer 3 then I can see no reason not to start with the RV345P. If you out grow the ports just add another switch.

I run a Cisco RV340 router same router as the RV345, RV345P with less ports and no POE+. I also run 2 Cisco WAP581 wireless APs for wireless. I run 3 Cisco switches. My main layer 3 switch is a Cisco SG300-28 switch which I have bought a replacement Cisco SG350X-24 switch but not changed it out yet. I also run a Cisco SG200-8 switch at my entertainment center. I run a Cisco SG300-10 MPP switch for my POE+ power to run my wireless APs as this switch does not have any fans. I plan to add cameras at some point.

I like layer 3 and I have been using it for close to 30 years. I can see nothing wrong with running layer 3 switching.

@coxhaus, did you happen to post a description of your setup of the SG350X switch? I know you reference a posting in another thread but I cannot seem to find it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!