What's new

Firmware 3.0.0.4.246 almost there

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, seriously.

Only one firmware version out of the five since I've had this thing ever showed the list of clients correctly and I'm about to give up on that ever working.

It's hit or miss whether or not the parental controls work the way they should. The drop down list of clients may have 2 or 3 of the up the 18 devices (computers, tablets, phones, home server, printer, Roku (x2), bluray player, wii, etc.) we have on this network, hence the need for a working list clients.

I'm really getting sick of hoping 'the next update will fix everything' when in reality it may or may not fix something and it may or may not break other stuff.

After spending a bunch of money on this router I'm really disappointed that the two things I really need to work don't work consistently.

I'm sorry but a working client list and parental controls just aren't optional item when it comes to a router that costs as much as this one did.

My E4200 was much easier to use and the parental controls actually worked.

first of all linksys routers are all a bunch of crap
try and load a torrent client and have more than 25 connections and see what happens
second parental controls mean nothing to a smart teenager
when your not home they'll just default the router and redo themselves
I don't have any issues with my 66 so it's probably you
stop being a crybaby
just sayin

Ok, seriously.

Only one firmware version out of the five since I've had this thing ever showed the list of clients correctly and I'm about to give up on that ever working.

It's hit or miss whether or not the parental controls work the way they should. The drop down list of clients may have 2 or 3 of the up the 18 devices (computers, tablets, phones, home server, printer, Roku (x2), bluray player, wii, etc.) we have on this network, hence the need for a working list clients.

I'm really getting sick of hoping 'the next update will fix everything' when in reality it may or may not fix something and it may or may not break other stuff.

After spending a bunch of money on this router I'm really disappointed that the two things I really need to work don't work consistently.

I'm sorry but a working client list and parental controls just aren't optional item when it comes to a router that costs as much as this one did.

+1... You should read my other post on some of the same things but in AP mode and I just received the unit. So, well, I feel your pain already that items that should work, just don't. And for this $$$ I get the joy of a 15% restocking fee to return something that just should not have been released as a beta unit. But again, as I said in my other thread, that is the way of the world now it seems. So sad.

It's a great wireless device router with poor software IMHO. (Using it as an AP as I would not trust it as a full router at this point based on the items I have read not to mention I needed FAILOVER to a 4G card that Cradlepoint does so well. (Not that they do not have their own issues.)

Last edited:
first of all linksys routers are all a bunch of crap
try and load a torrent client and have more than 25 connections and see what happens
second parental controls mean nothing to a smart teenager
when your not home they'll just default the router and redo themselves
I don't have any issues with my 66 so it's probably you
stop being a crybaby
just sayin

Thanks for your ever so helpful post.

I do torrent and my E4200 never gave me any trouble at all. It did fail and I would never again buy another Linksys/Cisco product which is why I bought that ASUS.

If my children are inclined they can get around my controls but I don't want to make it easy for them. If a product advertises that is has parental controls they should work. I paid for that feature.

I have found that I have to do a factory reset every time I do a firmware upgrade or things just don't work right. I went ahead and did a reset and reloaded all my settings from scratch since I know better than to try to reload them from a saved backup after an upgrade. What a PITA but at least now things seem to be working.

Also, please remember the golden rule: If you have nothing constructive or productive to say, don't say anything at all.

I have found that I have to do a factory reset every time I do a firmware upgrade or things just don't work right. I went ahead and did a reset and reloaded all my settings from scratch since I know better than to try to reload them from a saved backup after an upgrade. What a PITA but at least now things seem to be working.

Really? Oh my! Now I am sure am glad I use it as a AP as I would have to rebuild 24 port forwards each time. Not to mention DDNS settings and DHCP reservations.

Sorry if this thread got derailed. I am just again thankful for members like RMerlin who help to make the product more stable while adding features that should have been their anyway. Still using it as an AP even with it's issues, biggest being no protected Guest Network in AP mode even though it says it does Guest Networks. So I added in an old router for guests even though it just adds to my wifi noise pollution. (I can turn it off when not needed though.)

Still using it as an AP even with it's issues, biggest being no protected Guest Network in AP mode even though it says it does Guest Networks. So I added in an old router for guests even though it just adds to my wifi noise pollution. (I can turn it off when not needed though.)

Just a thought. Not sure if that would work, but... Try setting your RT-N66U in router mode. Then, configure the Guest Network (you will then have access to all options, including network isolation, setting encryption method, etc...). Once done, try switching it back to AP mode, and see if it still applies those settings you configured or not.

transfer speeds with ne F W are 1/2 what they were , where I got 9.5-11 MB /s now get 3.5 -6 MB/s , going back to last FW , at least I had great transfer rates

transfer speeds with ne F W are 1/2 what they were , where I got 9.5-11 MB /s now get 3.5 -6 MB/s , going back to last FW , at least I had great transfer rates

Transfer speed from what to what, and over what media (wired/wireless)?

Over wireless 5 ghz used to get 9 -11 MB from computer to computer transferring 10 gb file , now , have not checked 2.4 or wired yet .

Over wireless 5 ghz used to get 9 -11 MB from computer to computer transferring 10 gb file , now , have not checked 2.4 or wired yet .

just for info, someone posted this in another forum :

rolling back from .246 to .220.

Somehow the 2.4Ghz become unstable in this version.

Make sure you haven't switched down to 20 Mhz (which would effectively cut the speed in half).

Just a thought. Not sure if that would work, but... Try setting your RT-N66U in router mode. Then, configure the Guest Network (you will then have access to all options, including network isolation, setting encryption method, etc...). Once done, try switching it back to AP mode, and see if it still applies those settings you configured or not.

It's a interesting thought as we have seen stranger things happen. When I get some time, I will give it a go and see what might happen. What that not just be a hoot it is worked. :) I think I would then have a few choice words for them as programmers. :)

Thanks for your ever so helpful post.

I do torrent and my E4200 never gave me any trouble at all. It did fail and I would never again buy another Linksys/Cisco product which is why I bought that ASUS.

If my children are inclined they can get around my controls but I don't want to make it easy for them. If a product advertises that is has parental controls they should work. I paid for that feature.

Also, please remember the golden rule: If you have nothing constructive or productive to say, don't say anything at all.
I would always reset the router to factory defaults before and after flashing a new firmware version. Then I try to restore my configuration from a saved file. If that doesn't work then resetting and manually reloading your configuration from scratch is always an option.

Make sure you haven't switched down to 20 Mhz (which would effectively cut the speed in half).

Checked that . back on 220 , everything back up to speed

Problems with 2.4 GHz

While using the 3.0.0.4.246 firmware, I was having disconnect issues with some of the router's 2.4 GHz wireless clients. No problems on the 5 GHz band. I have reverted back to 3.0.0.4.220.18, and all is well.

Ok, seriously.

I just bought the RT-N66U and set it up tonight, and have to agree it's frustrating for the client list to not work right. I mean, how basic is that functionality? With the preinstalled firmware I just kept getting the spinning wheels of death for most clients. Now I upgraded to the .246 firmware, and instead of the spinning wheels at least I get icons... which are all the same... and also my wireless clients (iPhone 4 and Kindle Fire) aren't showing up at all. I don't know how I am going to figure out what IP address to access my wireless security cameras at if they don't show up in the client list.

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I'm missing something. Otherwise, is ASUS really that stupid that they can't get this to work? Seems like router 101. Thanks for any thoughts.

Ok, seriously.

I have to agree, I have a support case opened up with Asus support about parental controls. I sent them log files, screen captures, IP Tables, and the said they are working on it. they are aware of it being broken.

Chris

While using the 3.0.0.4.246 firmware, I was having disconnect issues with some of the router's 2.4 GHz wireless clients. No problems on the 5 GHz band. I have reverted back to 3.0.0.4.220.18, and all is well.

Try this: go to LAN -> Switch Control, and set it to force disable GRO. My firmware is compiled with GRO support disabled to avoid various router crash issues caused by it. With 246 Asus has temporarily added a switch to enable/disable it, until the time they (or Broadcom) can track down and definitely fix the crashes.

I just bought the RT-N66U and set it up tonight, and have to agree it's frustrating for the client list to not work right. I mean, how basic is that functionality? With the preinstalled firmware I just kept getting the spinning wheels of death for most clients. Now I upgraded to the .246 firmware, and instead of the spinning wheels at least I get icons... which are all the same... and also my wireless clients (iPhone 4 and Kindle Fire) aren't showing up at all. I don't know how I am going to figure out what IP address to access my wireless security cameras at if they don't show up in the client list.

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I'm missing something. Otherwise, is ASUS really that stupid that they can't get this to work? Seems like router 101. Thanks for any thoughts.

I recommend using the DHCP Lease page (under System Logs) rather than the Network Map list for this. The DHCP Lease page actually gives you what DHCP leases have been allocated, while the Network Map will show anything the router has seen passing through it (including long-disconnected devices).

When running my custom firmware you can also get extensive wireless client info on the Wireless Log page (again in the System Logs section).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!