What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Top command?
Yes.

Make sure SSH (LAN only) is enabled (Administration - System) and log into your router for example with PuTTY. Or if you don't have PuTTY (or whatever) installed you can just open Windows 10 Power Shell (click Windows 10 Start with your mouse right button - Windows PowerShell) and type

Code:
ssh yourusername@routerIP
Something like this:
Code:
ssh elpescador@192.168.1.1

Now type your password (it won't show it, but just type it without typos), and when logged in successfully type
Code:

You can exit "top" with Ctrl-C.

If you have entware installed, you can use htop as well. But you have to first install htop:
Code:
opkg install htop
After installing htop you can run it:
Code:
htop

I tried this version too, the only problem i face is when i leave adaptive qos on in the router the ram slowly fills itself to the max, when that happens all connections die and you have to manually shut the router down to have all back up again. I even see a ram usage change (and also cpu cores are hitting 80% up and down) when i only visit the tab, not activate the switch.
When i visit the tab and then go back to home screen the ram is 50% fuller and cpu cores are going up and down. That process stops after say 20 seconds.

Here is the top-command on my ac88u with core 1 at 100%. What means sw_devled?

157712K used, 357472K free, 2468K shrd, 1196K buff, 14108K cached
CPU: 0.1% usr 0.8% sys 0.0% nic 49.0% idle 48.4% io 0.0% irq 1.4% sirq
Load average: 8.03 8.10 8.13 1/133 26997
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
384 1 admin S 5588 1.0 1 0.5 sw_devled
969 1 admin S 11144 2.1 1 0.1 /usr/sbin/lighttpd-arpping -f br0
1043 1 admin S 5952 1.1 1 0.1 minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -r
300 1 admin S 5592 1.0 0 0.1 /sbin/wanduck
320 319 admin S 5164 1.0 0 0.1 nt_monitor
462 1 admin S 13408 2.6 1 0.0 /usr/sbin/lighttpd -f /tmp/lighttpd.conf -D
24019 1 admin S 12016 2.3 1 0.0 /usr/sbin/lighttpd -f /tmp/.le/lighttpd.conf
463 1 admin S 10764 2.0 0 0.0 /usr/sbin/lighttpd-monitor
432 1 admin D 7348 1.4 1 0.0 networkmap --bootwait
376 1 admin S 6092 1.1 0 0.0 httpd -i br0
1000 1 admin S 6088 1.1 1 0.0 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
1064 1043 admin S 5952 1.1 1 0.0 minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -r
1065 1064 admin S N 5952 1.1 0 0.0 minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.conf -r
999 1 admin S 5868 1.1 0 0.0 nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
1 0 admin S 5728 1.1 0 0.0 /sbin/preinit
24016 1 admin S 5600 1.0 0 0.0 le_acme
383 1 admin S 5596 1.0 0 0.0 watchdog
1234 1 admin S 5588 1.0 0 0.0 bwdpi_wred_alive
514 1 admin S 5588 1.0 0 0.0 erp_monitor
803 1 admin S 5588 1.0 0 0.0 usbled
822 1 admin S 5588 1.0 1 0.0 ntp
31151 1 admin S 5588 1.0 0 0.0 pc_block
964 1 admin S 5588 1.0 0 0.0 disk_monitor
465 1 admin S 5588 1.0 1 0.0 hour_monitor
464 1 admin S 5588 1.0 1 0.0 bwdpi_check

Last edited:
Here is the top-command on my ac88u with core 1 at 100%

You have a CPU core fully busy doing I/O. My best guess would be it's related to minidlna and your USB disk.

Hi Merlin, there is only one small usb stick with 512mb and no multimedia files on it. This behaviour starts with firmware 384.8. No issues before.

Hi Merlin, there is only one small usb stick with 512mb and no multimedia files on it. This behaviour starts with firmware 384.8. No issues before.

Then disable the DLNA server if you don't use it - you have it enabled. You also have AiCloud enabled.

Hi Merlin

Router
Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 380.68_4

I am currently on the above and everything is running perfectly no issues at all - however it may still be time to update.

Do i need to update? or i'm i okay with what i'm running?

If i do need to update can i go straight to the latest version? RT-AC68U_384.8_2

If not which version should i update to first? before updating to 384.8_2

Thanks

You should be fine. You’re making a big jump from 380 to 384, so it’s strongly recommended you factory reset after you upgrade and then enter all your settings manually.
I’m updating from 384.6. Any need for a reset there? Thx.

Can not load 384.8_2
As.l upload new firmware, it complains always firmware unsuccessfully.
Full initialised 384.6 firmware as a base.

But have a Chinese Asus rtac 66u.

Do not understand why problem.

Have trouble starting up recovery mode as well. ( Not in recovery mode) possibly miss some detail.

Power cable out. Reset button on untill slow blink....
Not in recovery he said....

Please help.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Redmi Note 4 met Tapatalk

I’m updating from 384.6. Any need for a reset there? Thx.
Hi Bill,

Not really. After you upgrade and before you login into the router GUI again, clear your browser cache. If you notice any weirdness after the upgrade, then do a reset. You should be good.

I just upgraded from this version, to 384.9 alpha 1 and no issues.

What is the exact model number? The RT-AC66U hasn't been supported after 380.70.
Sorry, it is the b1(version) identical to ac68. Had 384.6 before support of ipset.
Skipped 384.7 and wanted to go to 384.8_2 that is not the problem.
Could not load anything except 384.5 all the other ROMs refuse to install... Sees it as bad versions.

Sorry, it is the b1(version) identical to ac68. Had 384.6 before support of ipset.
Skipped 384.7 and wanted to go to 384.8_2 that is not the problem.
Could not load anything except 384.5 all the other ROMs refuse to install... Sees it as bad versions.

HAD a perfetly good working ASUS ac66U_b1 router running updated version 364.6 (second Update)
and wanted to upgrade to 384.8_2

now regressed to 384.5 (factory reset state - initialised)
1)it is a chinees device, what gives quite some STUPID TROUBLE,can not read chinees but I can overcome this problem.
question one DOES ASUS MERLIN FILTER OUT THESE DEVICES FOR NOT UPDATING ?????
during the asus-merlin administration.... update it complains the chinees device is not genuine (IT IS GENUINE)
and simply refuses to do any asus-merlin update.
I was able to regress to 384.5 but that was all
It refuses all cferom_ubi.w software as NOT BEING a rom(AC86U) and refuses any update
how can I UPGRADE now from 384.5 to 384.8_2 ??????

2) I tried resque MODE (Separated right ip address, all virus check disabled ....
it starts loading but between 12% and 50% it interrupts the transmission and stops working ....
using the separate resque.exe software.

3) once I had a webpage asking me to upload (in rom uploading, in chinees .... but it failed as well.
there seems to be no way to get this resque page up again....

have done about 60 straigth attempts (from within the asus Merlin software )
and aboot another 60 attemp all resulting in NOTHing.

Is the ASUS software that crappy ?
as the resque starts think my setup procedure is correct

But with a fail rate of 96% it is nearly impossible to rely do something

Crippled all my machines by now testing to run rescue mode/upload ... Tried o n win 10/win7 ...diffferent controllers ...

spend alread more then 24 hours on this do not know what to do any more .....
PLease help

HAD a perfetly good working ASUS ac66U_b1 router running updated version 364.6 (second Update)
and wanted to upgrade to 384.8_2

now regressed to 384.5 (factory reset state - initialised)
1)it is a chinees device, what gives quite some STUPID TROUBLE,can not read chinees but I can overcome this problem.
question one DOES ASUS MERLIN FILTER OUT THESE DEVICES FOR NOT UPDATING ?????
during the asus-merlin administration.... update it complains the chinees device is not genuine (IT IS GENUINE)
and simply refuses to do any asus-merlin update.
I was able to regress to 384.5 but that was all
It refuses all cferom_ubi.w software as NOT BEING a rom(AC86U) and refuses any update
how can I UPGRADE now from 384.5 to 384.8_2 ??????

2) I tried resque MODE (Separated right ip address, all virus check disabled ....
it starts loading but between 12% and 50% it interrupts the transmission and stops working ....
using the separate resque.exe software.

3) once I had a webpage asking me to upload (in rom uploading, in chinees .... but it failed as well.
there seems to be no way to get this resque page up again....

have done about 60 straigth attempts (from within the asus Merlin software )
and aboot another 60 attemp all resulting in NOTHing.

Is the ASUS software that crappy ?
as the resque starts think my setup procedure is correct

But with a fail rate of 96% it is nearly impossible to rely do something

Crippled all my machines by now testing to run rescue mode/upload ... Tried o n win 10/win7 ...diffferent controllers ...

spend alread more then 24 hours on this do not know what to do any more .....
PLease help
Spotted your problem:
cferom_ubi.w software as NOT BEING a rom(AC86U) is NOT the correct firmware.
This is correct, it isn't the correct firmware i.e. you've downloaded firmware for the wrong model. You need the 68U: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/

.w extensions are for the HND platform (AC86U and AX88U), the rest use .trx

Always worth checking you haven't mixed up 68 and 86 when downloading. A lot of people seem to struggle with this...:rolleyes:

Spotted your problem:
This is correct, it isn't the correct firmware i.e. you've downloaded firmware for the wrong model. You need the 68U: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/

.w extensions are for the HND platform (AC86U and AX88U), the rest use .trx

Always worth checking you haven't mixed up 68 and 86 when downloading. A lot of people seem to struggle with this...:rolleyes:
thanks ,
but this was a typo. error.
I took a friends machine and updated individualy all individual steps alternating resque and using asus update from 384.7 onwods.
(copied the same software an all machines , since no network can survive the procedures)
and retried MULTIPLE times with the same rom,... after hours of trying and retrying ... i finaly got it loaded .....
non of the software is stable, used mirror and not mirror mixed (is trx ....)
Doing an update takes a FULL day of repeating the same command It certainly is something very unstable.

Hi Merlin

Router
Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 380.68_4

I am currently on the above and everything is running perfectly no issues at all - however it may still be time to update.

Do i need to update? or i'm i okay with what i'm running?
Same here I'd like to be advised. Usually when all is running fine I see no reasons to update, except for security or a new feature I really want. I doubt I'm at high risk but the internet being what it is with hackers scanning all devices I try to find out if it's better to update like you. I'm just afraid an update would wipe some data or require a reset and configuration. I read some do dirty updates without problems, some have to configure. Saving config before updating to then reload it after updating is not always possible because not always compatible.

Last edited:
Since 384.8_2 OpenVPN started to force full tunnel vs split while neither client nor server settings were changed. Anyone else experienced this?

UPD: /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn now contains push "redirect-gateway def1" directive. My current VPN settings here https://imgur.com/a/8UGzF61

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!