What's new

Firmware Update for AX86U (8-31-2021)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does this mean it supports DoT? So if i use stock firmware i can use DoT? Or it’s just a filter?
Yes. Yes. DNS Filter is there, too.
So far no runs, drips or errors with this firmware.

How can we set it to use custom DoT server? (1.1.1.2)
Just replace 1.1.1.1 with 1.1.1.2. I did this with Merlin and it worked fine.
You can add to the TLS Hostname: secure.cloudflare-dns.com

The version list fails to mention that DoT and DNS Filter are included in this release. This is a big plus and a feather in Merlin's bonnet as Asus used his code!
Thanks Eric!!!
There are more changes coming for the AX series. One is Wireguard.
Hi, Trying to use DoT and keep getting “DNS privacy requires at least one configured server” error. What am I doing wrong?

Add at least one server in the list below.
I did. When I press apply get that error. (AX86U) stock firmaware 3.0.0.4.386.45375)

027DDE4A-3EAB-4625-8F7C-CFE7513FD13F.jpeg
A4F8FF91-B074-48ED-8AB2-38CF6E90CD28.jpeg

Attachments

• dot-cf.jpg
    dot-cf.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 159
So I am experiencing problems with this 3.0.0.4.386_45375 firmware.

Right after updating firmware, I could not connect to 2.4ghz ( 5.0ghz was fine ).

I did a factory reset, everything was good for about a day, and then once again 2.4ghz goes down. If I wait like 5 minutes or so, it would come back up. It only impacts 2.4ghz for some reason and I have no idea why.

When 2.4ghz goes down, the access point is still there. However when you try connecting to it, it says 'failed to connect' ( from android phone ).

All my other 2.4ghz devices would be disconnected as well.

Right after updating firmware, I could not connect to 2.4ghz ( 5.0ghz was fine ).

I did a factory reset, everything was good for about a day, and then once again 2.4ghz goes down. If I wait like 5 minutes or so, it would come back up. It only impacts 2.4ghz for some reason and I have no idea why.

When 2.4ghz goes down, the access point is still there. However when you try connecting to it, it says 'failed to connect' ( from android phone ).

Weird, didn’t experience that.
I’d simply go back to the previous firmware if that fixes things for you.

Per chance do you have the WIFI on Auto channel? If you do set the 2.4 GHz to channel 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHz and the 5 GHz om channel 36 at 160 MHz. Do use Dual Band SmartConnect.

I am also experiencing disconnects with this version. I tried factory resetting and setting up from scratch but it doesn’t help. After about 12 hours devices start dropping. The last version was very stable for me and I have had to revert.

Per chance do you have the WIFI on Auto channel? If you do set the 2.4 GHz to channel 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHz and the 5 GHz om channel 36 at 160 MHz. Do use Dual Band SmartConnect.

what would determine which 2.4 GHz to use? And what does Enable Smart Connect do?

what would determine which 2.4 GHz to use? And what does Enable Smart Connect do?
You can find the best channel to use with a WIFI scanner. Several available for Android devices. For Windows PC's Tarlogic makes a good free scanner: https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/
The key is to choose between channels 1, 6 or 11 that has the least number of overlapping radios. Also use 20 MHz bandwidth especially if you are in a congested WIFI neighborhood. If you can't see the smoke from your neighbors fire any channel is OK.

Dual Band SmartConnect uses the same SSID and passphrase for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. That way your clients can choose which band they want to use. Also, should you use a DFS channel on 5 GHz and that gets bounced by RADAR the clients will switch to the 2.4 GHz band and keep working. Some will advise against SmartConnect but it has worked wonderfully for me.
You should also use a fixed channel for th e5 GHz band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!