What's new

Firmware upgrade 388.3 to 388.4 for RT-AX88u Pro Not Taking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anything is possible on a router that isn't in a good/known state. But that has never been an issue in my experience (or recollection of reading the forums here).

have you tried clicking logout and logging back in with fresh auth tokens, sometimes stale ones can be applied even following a reboot.

suggesting a full reset to resolve this is to show full ignorance to how the firmware update procedure actually works,

if the device is not updating, the firmware image is not for the hardware it is being applied to or it is failing Cyclic checks, given it matches the hash, this would indicate faulty nand, memory or the mini boot loader is corrupted for some reason.

Not true, there have been plenty of cases of failed firmware update that works after a factory reset. All it takes is a corrupted NVRAM variable, file system, low memory due to some misbehaving process, etc.

Tried your suggestion, no difference

Do the full factory reset, then configure just enough to get in and try your upgrade. You can back up your settings and if it doesn't work, restore them.

To be extra sure, start with the hard factory reset (look up the method for your router but it is usually holding down the WPS button while powering on the router), then configure just enough to get in, go to the admin page, check off "initialize all variables" and click the reset there too. Then configure just enough to upgrade the firmware.

If it does work I would not then go and restore your settings as obviously something is corrupted, you'll want to reconfigure by hand, so take some screen shots if needed to be prepared for that.

Wanted to update the forum, I got the upgrade take.
In the end, what worked was pretty simple. I turned off the router,,disconnected all 5 LAN cables leaving only the WAN cable, turned on the router, and upgraded the firmware over wifi with no issues.
Maybe the number of switches, APs, and clients had something to do with my problem.
Hope this helps someone else, and thanks for all the input.

Wanted to update the forum, I got the upgrade take.
In the end, what worked was pretty simple. I turned off the router,,disconnected all 5 LAN cables leaving only the WAN cable, turned on the router, and upgraded the firmware over wifi with no issues.
Maybe the number of switches, APs, and clients had something to do with my problem.
Hope this helps someone else, and thanks for all the input.

Personally I still don't think your router is in a good state, I would want to wipe it and start over. I've never had an issue with upgrading with lots of clients, switches, etc attached. But if it is working fine, then you can play it by year, your call obviously.