What's new

Firmware upgrade 388.3 to 388.4 for RT-AX88u Pro Not Taking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When you see reboot manually message - wait another minute or two, the router will reboot itself. This message often comes before the router is ready.
Thanks, but after logging in once the login screen reappears, still stuck on 388.3

Longshot; you are unzipping the file you downloaded and pointing the router to the actual firmware file, right? (I'm sure you are, but please confirm).

The router will reject *.zip file right away.

So you can't upload any firmware or this specific one? Can you load stock Asuswrt on it? Do you refresh your browser page, Ctrl + F5?

And we are talking about this firmware?

Yes, that's the firmware that won't take. I had originally gone from the stock Asus firmware to 388.3 without problem a few months ago.
Browser refresh makes no difference. The firmware indicated on the router remains 388.3 following upload and reboot.

Yes, that's the firmware that won't take. I had originally gone from the stock Asus firmware to 388.3 without problem a few months ago.
Browser refresh makes no difference. The firmware indicated on the router remains 388.3 following upload and reboot.
have you tried flashing from 388.3 back to stock asus firmware, and then if that is successful, try going from stock to 388.4?

Or the browser isn't properly uploading the image. Some antivirus softwares have shown to be causing such issues in the past.

True, I get this sometimes too when the http daemon is not fully logged in (some of the session data is stale in the browser) and while i can navigate the settings, some aspects just don't load.

have you tried flashing from 388.3 back to stock asus firmware, and then if that is successful, try going from stock to 388.4?
No, I have not done that yet. I am considering waiting until, and if, there is a more substantial Merlin firmware upgrade for the RT-AX88u Pro beyond 388.4, since the router is functioning perfectly well under 388.3 and I am satisfied with the features of 388.3 so far.

While I wouldn't normally suggest taking down a working system, your router is not stable or functioning as it should be at all right now.

Use the link below to capture your current setup and be able to very quickly get back to it.

The links below are from my previous post above. Use these to get your router back to a good/known state, if possible.

[Wireless Router] When Standard Reset Isn’t Working: Hard Factory Reset - Models list | Official Support | ASUS USA

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

I would rather know sooner than later if there was any indication of hardware failure on my main router.

No, I have not done that yet. I am considering waiting until, and if, there is a more substantial Merlin firmware upgrade for the RT-AX88u Pro beyond 388.4, since the router is functioning perfectly well under 388.3 and I am satisfied with the features of 388.3 so far.
That is a very odd thing to say when the thread is about upgrading to 388.4.

Since the router is functioning perfectly well under 388.3 and I am satisfied with the features of 388.3 so far.

What is the point of you making this thread then?

I see no much efforts to solve the problem. I would try all reset, re-flash, back to stock, firmware restoration options. If they all fail and since I see no other reports of similar issue with this model - obviously something is wrong with the particular router. Time for RMA.

That is a very odd thing to say when the thread is about upgrading to 388.4.

What is the point of you making this thread then?
I arrived at this point after many failed attempts to flash 388.4 on 388.3 after following many helpful suggestions from the forum short of stock re-flash, factory reset, etc.
Since other family members depend on this router, I have to pick an appropriate time to open a potential can of worms with this particular router to re-flash or reset.
And I tend to agree with LL&D and Tech9 that the router may be living on borrowed time, so my idea of waiting for another firmware upgrade beyond 388.4 may not be a good one.

I see no much efforts to solve the problem. I would try all reset, re-flash, back to stock, firmware restoration options. If they all fail and since I see no other reports of similar issue with this model - obviously something is wrong with the particular router. Time for RMA.
Coming to this realization

While I wouldn't normally suggest taking down a working system, your router is not stable or functioning as it should be at all right now.

Use the link below to capture your current setup and be able to very quickly get back to it.

The links below are from my previous post above. Use these to get your router back to a good/known state, if possible.

[Wireless Router] When Standard Reset Isn’t Working: Hard Factory Reset - Models list | Official Support | ASUS USA

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

I would rather know sooner than later if there was any indication of hardware failure on my main router.
Thank you for this info.
I agree that this router is not functioning as it should, and may indeed be unstable. Initially I was thinking that I would wait and try to upgrade to a Merlin firmware beyond 388.4 when available, but I may run into problems over time while waiting,
I will make plans to follow the procedures in your links, and arrange a time to reflash to stock and potentially reset while I dig out an old router to get me by in case the AX88u Pro bricks or otherwise fails.
Thanks for taking the time to outline the procedures.