What's new

First switch, need some guidance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goodcore

New Around Here
Hello,
I am planning my home network at the moment consisting of:

My Cable modem (from Kabeldeutschland Germany) is a Thomson

Switch, I ordered the new TP LINK TL-SG3424P JetStream Gigabit L2 Managed PoE switch
I would like to use VLAN so that I can have a separate vlans for guests and for IP cameras or voip phones, etc

Wireless Router, I'm using the D-Link DIR-615 at the moment

QNAP NAS 459 for centralized storage of data

A few PoE IP cams (not decided which ones yet)

A TV and a Blue-Ray player both with LAN port

A few laptops, some wired some wireless ipads, android phones, some misc wireless devices

maybe a voip phone or more

a security system with LAN port

I have a network cabinet in the basement / cellar with a patch panel and Cat 7 cables to the rooms of the house.

Light usage will be from wired and wireless clients just browsing, heavier usage will be from wireless clients streaming content either from the NAS or from TVs, IP Cameras or Internet and from wired clients doing the same in addition to downloading p2p from the internet.

Now I am completely new to this, I never owned a switch before.
The first thing I am trying to understand is, which device will be the DHCP server, the wireless router or the switch itself?

If I segment the network into different subnets with the VPN functionality of the switch, and some users of a VPN need to access a server or device on another VPN do I need to buy another router that can handle the routing between the VPNs?

If I set up a separate VPN for guests who are connected wirelessly and who ask to use the Internet at my house but who should not see all my private traffic, but then we sit in the living room and decide they want to push some content for example to my Panasonic Viera TV with the viera app on their iphone or android phone to show me some photos or videos that they have on their phone, they will need to be able to see the TV's IP address, just as one possible scenario.

might be a bit more complicated with VLANs than need be, on the wired side. VLANs for wireless guests to restrict to Internet-Only makes sense. And putting IP camera video on their own VLAN can help reduce traffic loads. But it's likely that you're anywhere near max.

To interconnect selected subnets, I think you have to create static routes in your router's setup. Doing so without some rules on traffic flow, would kind of defeat the purpose of the VLANs.

Usually best to have the router serve DHCP since it will properly distribute gateway and DNS info.

Assuming you mean VLAN not VPN, when you put devices in different VLANs, their traffic is separated. So if you want members of one VLAN to have access to resources on another VLAN, you will need to change the VLAN rules. Routing won't help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!