What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.3.2 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about a stable download speed, but about qos settings that stabilize the ping while downloading
Yes but they're also hardware limitations as well.

Yes but they're also hardware limitations as well.
There is a hardware limitation but to 300mbps plus fiber. Up to 150-200mbps LTE is enough. The router was overclocked. Processor from 800MHz to 1200MHz stable. Memory gently from 533MHz to 666MHz and also stable.

It's not about a stable download speed, but about qos settings that stabilize the ping while downloading
Limiting the speed will improve your latency stability.
If you keep the traffic throughput capped below the maximum link capacity, then any new time critical packets that arrive are able to squeak in without being queued up before being sent or received.

And the other comment about hardware limitations is not about the raw packet handling capability of the router.
Your router is very old in design, and doesn't support the latest software and drivers that enable more capable forms of QoS. Even overclocked, the CPU architecture is only capable of so much. A more advanced CPU is worth a lot more than a few extra MHz.

If you upgrade to even a slightly old model like the RT-AC86U, you can take advantage of either Adaptive QoS, or newer the Cake QoS, which would do a much better job of smoothing out your connection.

All QoS relies on the QoS algorithm holding the data throughput *just* below the raw link speed, so that it can properly manage and prioritise which packets go through, and which ones can be delayed and "told to slow down" to make way.

Limiting the speed will improve your latency stability.
If you keep the traffic throughput capped below the maximum link capacity, then any new time critical packets that arrive are able to squeak in without being queued up before being sent or received.

And the other comment about hardware limitations is not about the raw packet handling capability of the router.
Your router is very old in design, and doesn't support the latest software and drivers that enable more capable forms of QoS. Even overclocked, the CPU architecture is only capable of so much. A more advanced CPU is worth a lot more than a few extra MHz.

If you upgrade to even a slightly old model like the RT-AC86U, you can take advantage of either Adaptive QoS, or newer the Cake QoS, which would do a much better job of smoothing out your connection.

All QoS relies on the QoS algorithm holding the data throughput *just* below the raw link speed, so that it can properly manage and prioritise which packets go through, and which ones can be delayed and "told to slow down" to make way.
If I would buy a slightly newer router, I would choose 88U. Unfortunately, my home network is based only on wifi. "Scale factor to use for speedtest results" I have it set to 100%. It is probably not wise. What value should I set? I think over 95%.

Changing the 88U antennas from the factory "5dbi" (I think) to 7 will increase the range at home?

If I would buy a slightly newer router, I would choose 88U. Unfortunately, my home network is based only on wifi. "Scale factor to use for speedtest results" I have it set to 100%. It is probably not wise. What value should I set? I think over 95%.

Changing the 88U antennas from the factory "5dbi" (I think) to 7 will increase the range at home?
If you are talking about the ac88u, then I wouldn't get that one. It is older and buggier than the ac86u.
I don't know much about the ax86u vs the ax88u.

If you are concerned about range, then you can always try meshing your routers. When you get the new one, set the old one up as a mesh node, and that should provide all the coverage you need.

As for the scale factor, then it sounds to me like you are using the auto speed plugin to determine rates.
I would also advise against doing that. Your speeds on LTE are going to be too variable for an auto speed tool to accurately assess, even if you run it very frequently (and not sure if you have a data limit on LTE where you are situated).

Your best bet IMHO is to take the historical speed test data which has already been collected, and then finding the worst result that you consistently see occurring. Set your speed cap to match 90-95% of that worst case speed.

If you are talking about the ac88u, then I wouldn't get that one. It is older and buggier than the ac86u.
I don't know much about the ax86u vs the ax88u.

If you are concerned about range, then you can always try meshing your routers. When you get the new one, set the old one up as a mesh node, and that should provide all the coverage you need.

As for the scale factor, then it sounds to me like you are using the auto speed plugin to determine rates.
I would also advise against doing that. Your speeds on LTE are going to be too variable for an auto speed tool to accurately assess, even if you run it very frequently (and not sure if you have a data limit on LTE where you are situated).

Your best bet IMHO is to take the historical speed test data which has already been collected, and then finding the worst result that you consistently see occurring. Set your speed cap to match 90-95% of that worst case speed.

Best result is 220, worst 30. The average is 80-100, but for a week something has been going on and BTS is heavily loaded and the average speed is barely 50-60.

Best result is 220, worst 30. The average is 80-100, but for a week something has been going on and BTS is heavily loaded and the average speed is barely 50-60.
That seems to somewhat match the graph you posted earlier.
The unfortunate news is that to get effective QoS, you are probably looking at setting your speed cap at 40-45Mbps or so.

That seems to somewhat match the graph you posted earlier.
The unfortunate news is that to get effective QoS, you are probably looking at setting your speed cap at 40-45Mbps or so.

That's why I have an automatic bandwidth.

I have an "A" on this page. A + is underperforming. I would have to limit the bandwidth very, very much. I can not do that.

That's why I have an automatic bandwidth.
The problem with LTE is that the maximum bandwidth can change on a moment to moment basis, so a measurement that was taken an hour ago, is very unlikely to still be valid. To ensure that your cap is set to an appropriate level, that limit needs to be overly aggressive.

An A on the bufferbloat tests is a fine result. You are chasing the dragon trying to do much better on a wireless link.

The problem with LTE is that the maximum bandwidth can change on a moment to moment basis, so a measurement that was taken an hour ago, is very unlikely to still be valid. To ensure that your cap is set to an appropriate level, that limit needs to be overly aggressive.

An A on the bufferbloat tests is a fine result. You are chasing the dragon trying to do much better on a wireless link.

I agree. But AutoBW is better than manual settings. You can change every 30 minutes, but in my opinion it will be too often and the data limit will drop too quickly, which is only 500GB per month.

I agree. But AutoBW is better than manual settings. You can change every 30 minutes, but in my opinion it will be too often and the data limit will drop too quickly, which is only 500GB per month.
You'd also be screwing up your Internet speeds every 30 minutes during the test while it is saturating your connection with test data.

If your speed dips were occurring on a semi-reliable basis (eg. only slow during peak hours), you might be able to schedule less conservative limits to kick in at different times of the day.

You'd also be screwing up your Internet speeds every 30 minutes during the test while it is saturating your connection with test data.

If your speed dips were occurring on a semi-reliable basis (eg. only slow during peak hours), you might be able to schedule less conservative limits to kick in at different times of the day.

Number of speedtests to use to calculate average bandwidth: 5, default is 10. Leave 5 or change to 2 or 3?

Could I have a list of asus router models with adaptive qos?
Use the Asus website. Adaptive QoS is a “Key Feature” you can filter on for WiFi routers.

Use the Asus website. Adaptive QoS is a “Key Feature” you can filter on for WiFi routers.
Unfortunately, there is no list of routers that support adaptive qos, so I wrote on the forum. Maybe someone knows models that use adaptive qos.

AC88U It has adaptive qos and game boost and it is not on the asus website. There are only routers currently on sale not all of them. I need the cheapest router that has game boost and adaptive qos. And most importantly, at least 4 antennas. This will be the main router.
You’re better off starting a new thread in the general Asus forum. You won’t get as much attention for HW questions in this particular thread.

AC88U It has adaptive qos and game boost and it is not on the asus website. There are only routers currently on sale not all of them. I need the cheapest router that has game boost and adaptive qos. And most importantly, at least 4 antennas. This will be the main router.
I'm not sure what you are basing your selection criteria on, but you are stating typically high-end features followed by "cheapest" — I also question number of external antennae as a requirement. Also, RT-AC88U is older wifi standard. If you really want performance, look to RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000 (or beyond).

It may be more than what you're looking for, but it is definitely a bargain at $70 off MSRP: ASUS GT-AX6000: $329.99 @ Amazon (same price at Newegg, too).

I'm not sure what you are basing your selection criteria on, but you are stating typically high-end features followed by "cheapest" — I also question number of external antennae as a requirement. Also, RT-AC88U is older wifi standard. If you really want performance, look to RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000 (or beyond).

It may be more than what you're looking for, but it is definitely a bargain at $70 off MSRP: ASUS GT-AX6000: $329.99 @ Amazon (same price at Newegg, too).

I think about the cheapest equipment to make alternative QOS work. So far I have used 87U with the Merlin soft loaded but the support has been dropped. In my case, 4 antennas are the minimum. I am currently using 3 and it's 7dbi instead of asus 5dbi. For my link, the AC88U is too strong. It is true that the sisters' wifi network card in the computer is under WiFi 6, but the AX88 is expensive. I do not look at the AC / AX86 versions because of the 3 antennas.

I am forced to use LTE. Optical fiber does not exist and will not be there for the next 3 years, and maybe even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!