What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.3.2 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been testing the new update for 5 days, not one spike. Impressive with my kids online.
I concur. I am loving the diagnostics look. I am definitely considering some heavy traffic flows to test the metal of FlexQoS. I can already tell it benefits my "normal" traffic based on the changes in cpu behaviors compared to the previous version of flexqos.

I surrender for now. I enjoy the hunt, but issues like these are why I flee the Asus scene every now and then. A home router shouldn’t be this difficult.
Likewise I am done chasing this ghost. If someone else has a AC3100 and is having the same problem we can together hunt this bug down but for now I'll let it be.

I just kept both the VPN fix and the catchall fix for now.

I surrender for now. I enjoy the hunt, but issues like these are why I flee the Asus scene every now and then. A home router shouldn’t be this difficult.
Agreed, there is typically only so much that can be done given the span of time available in a day, and the limited resources a lot of us have in comparison to trying to replicate an issue. It is definitely a challenge when a issue presents itself and it is on a newer supported router, but when it is an older router, then the question becomes "did asus break something?"

I concur. I am loving the diagnostics look. I am definitely considering some heavy traffic flows to test the metal of FlexQoS. I can already tell it benefits my "normal" traffic based on the changes in cpu behaviors compared to the previous version of flexqos.
You guys must be enjoying the hidden Placebo feature…

Hmm, seems like the two biggest contributors besides Merlin himself are a little fed up with what's presented as a top notch home router hardware/firmware range.

pfSense you said? Hmm.

Last edited:
Hmm, seems like the two biggest contributors besides Merlin himself are a little fed up with what's presented a top notch home router hardware/firmware.

pfSense you said? Hmm.
All the closed-source Broadcom/Trend Micro components are a necessary evil to enjoy the features and performance we are accustomed to. But yeah, it seems to get worse as time goes on. Merlin firmware is so well designed for customization, but eventually we hit the closed-source brick wall.

Can I ask what kind of router/WLAN hardware you guys run? (@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow @dave14305)
Your guess is as good as mine...

Screenshot_20220920_204531.jpg

Screenshot_20220920_204459.jpg

All the closed-source Broadcom/Trend Micro components are a necessary evil to enjoy the features and performance we are accustomed to. But yeah, it seems to get worse as time goes on. Merlin firmware is so well designed for customization, but eventually we hit the closed-source brick wall.
I love asuswrt-merlin. I'm slightly tickled by the GT-AX6000, though, as it runs Qualcomm. OpenWRT implementations are hopefully extremely likely to hit the open source marketplace.

I'm a bit baffled by the RT-AX86U compared to the RT-AX58U. Yes, there's more Wi-Fi performance, but it's not that much. I thought the RT-AX58U might be the ideal mainstream router until they released a non-properly-reversioned V2.

Are we ending the great path of asuswrt-merlin?

Are we ending the great path of asuswrt-merlin?
I could pontificate on this philosophical question for quite a while. I think the firmware is at a turning point as it branches off into more and newer models. I really don't like the breakdown of the third-party community where we've seen many third-party developers move on (including me). I also don't like the recent practice of releasing new firmware only for specific models. The pace of innovation is slowing in my estimation, and it leaves the community a little lacking in things to talk about. Then you end up with people arguing about IPv6 or hard resets or power consumption instead of cool stuff.

No one should really care what I think, but since you asked. :)

I could pontificate on this philosophical question for quite a while. I think the firmware is at a turning point as it branches off into more and newer models. I really don't like the breakdown of the third-party community where we've seen many third-party developers move on (including me). I also don't like the recent practice of releasing new firmware only for specific models. The pace of innovation is slowing in my estimation, and it leaves the community a little lacking in things to talk about. Then you end up with people arguing about IPv6 or hard resets or power consumption instead of cool stuff.

No one should really care what I think, but since you asked. :)
Oh many do care, believe me. This is the forum people visit for guidance/inspiration.

The one thing holding me back from going serious with routing is power consumption, and that's where our current offerings still excel IMHO. I can't build an SQM/cake capable mini x86 router for anything close the price of an ASUSWRT-Merlin enabled one, *remotely* close to the power consumption of an AX58U or AX86U.

On the other hand, separating Wi-Fi from routing is tempting. But then, it's pfSense or DD-WRT. Hmm.

Edit: Going off-topic here (even further), @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow I'm trying your DNSCrypt build on the AX86 soon, if you remember our multi-page endeavour with the AX58U :)

@john9527: custom OpenWrt build (codename Orion)
@Jack Yaz: pfSense
@Adamm: unknown
@Xentrk: the pearly gates?
@thelonelycoder: still here, but hopefully exploring the great outdoors
@cmkelley: unknown
@themiron: new job?
Me? Alternating weekly between Merlin and OpenWrt
Hmm. My home server is running a Ryzen 3800X anyways with 1G and 2.5G on board. That few iptables rules shouldn't be that complicated. Having the AX86U as a Wi-Fi provider seems obvious enough.

I'm definitely sad to (maybe?) see you go, though.

Sorry for driving this even more off-topic: Is there a good independent web interface for controlling stuff like SQM on x86 apart from booting a freebsd build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!