What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand his drive to have public access to the source code, all from a security perspective.

Security is a very valid concern. Also the spirit of GPL as Nullity mentioned in a follow up. Upholding GPL and eliminating any known violation is a matter of principle...that shall be shared by all open source users.

Imagine ASUS lawyers had come up with shady explanations that GGavan gave earlier and the court allowed it (which I doubt it'll).. we won't have asuswrt-merlin.

I've dropped the power to 70% on both bands, should bring me (almost - well towards being) inline with the rest of the poor regulated souls.

As Octopus pointed out, the antenna of your router adds ~3db gain i.e. double the tx power of whatever you set. At 70%, I read the output from onboard power amp is 355mW. So your router is actually radiating 710mW power, which possibly still violates UK/EU regulations.

I guess dependent on channels..not very sure without looking into details of the regulation. So just be very cautious about this game...

AC3200 but may apply to others as well.
This is not an issue with official or Merlin firmware. only on 380 HGG.

Been using the 380 final since release.
I can see 1 issue that maybe can be fixed:
Setting 5G-1 to a fixed channel seem to completely turn off 40/80 mhz bands on 5G-1.
I have tried these settings with various channels (36,40,44,48) for wireless modes:
- Auto
- N only
- Legacy
- N/AC only
in combination with:
- 20/40/80 mhz mode
- 20/40 mhz
- 40 mhz

only 20mhz connections are made. and Istumbler always say the router is broadcasting 20mhz only.
If I change the channel to "auto" on 5G-1, it binds to a high channel like 149,150 and 80mhz which kills the signal and no connections can be made.
(AC3200 has 2 5-G networks, 80mhz on 5G2 and channel 149 works perfect, the 5G1 only works on 36-60 channel , and is intended to. but with HGG firmware it jumps up to 140+ channel thus ruining the signal).

Only way to get it to show in router-overview (the wireless icon top right corner) with 40 mhz is if on AUTO channel and with some luck with numerous reboots where it finally puts itself on channel 36-48 so it can be used.

Can this be addressed? I want to get 20/40 or 40 only on 5G-1 with channel 36-48 so it can be used by the clients and get good signal.
Like can i run some command over telnet to change available channels for 5G1? meaning: remove all 149 and up.

Last edited:
As Octopus pointed out, the antenna of your router adds ~3db gain i.e. double the tx power of whatever you set. At 70%, I read the output from onboard power amp is 355mW. So your router is actually radiating 710mW power, which possibly still violates UK/EU regulations.

I guess dependent on channels..not very sure without looking into details of the regulation. So just be very cautious about this game...

Yeah I've gone back to official now, and still having no problems, range is not so good but at the moment it does not matter as the whole house gets a good signal anyway (the garden doesn't but it's winter) I did try Merlins's latest before the official but my network transfer speed and speed test speeds both dropped. I found I get 19MBps over network - merlin - 22MBps official - Gomes - lol pushing 32MBps.

The official one (for me maybe not for u) is somewhere in the middle of Gomes and Merlins. I'm not sure that John's has the bandwidth limiter? (I need this feature)

I am sure HGGomes firmware is safe but that doubt has been put into my mind now by what certain members have written on this and other threads that I have decided to err on the side of caution to protect myself and my family.

That's not to say that Gomes firmware does yield amazing results, it does, but until the source and licenses are submitted and I know for sure what I'm using I can't be doing with the voice at the back of my mind bugging me saying but what if?

Best

This is all on the old rt_n66u the best router ever made.

Last edited:
AC3200 but may apply to others as well.
This is not an issue with official or Merlin firmware. only on 380 HGG.

Been using the 380 final since release.
I can see 1 issue that maybe can be fixed:
Setting 5G-1 to a fixed channel seem to completely turn off 40/80 mhz bands on 5G-1.
I have tried these settings with various channels (36,40,44,48) for wireless modes:
- Auto
- N only
- Legacy
- N/AC only
in combination with:
- 20/40/80 mhz mode
- 20/40 mhz
- 40 mhz

only 20mhz connections are made. and Istumbler always say the router is broadcasting 20mhz only.
If I change the channel to "auto" on 5G-1, it binds to a high channel like 149,150 and 80mhz which kills the signal and no connections can be made.
(AC3200 has 2 5-G networks, 80mhz on 5G2 and channel 149 works perfect, the 5G1 only works on 36-60 channel , and is intended to. but with HGG firmware it jumps up to 140+ channel thus ruining the signal).

Only way to get it to show in router-overview (the wireless icon top right corner) with 40 mhz is if on AUTO channel and with some luck with numerous reboots where it finally puts itself on channel 36-48 so it can be used.

Can this be addressed? I want to get 20/40 or 40 only on 5G-1 with channel 36-48 so it can be used by the clients and get good signal.
Like can i run some command over telnet to change available channels for 5G1? meaning: remove all 149 and up.

Maybe 380.57.1 is solving the issue found by you.
- FIXED: 5GHZ band forcing 20MHZ when using 20/40/80MHZ option on WEBUI, resulting in slower link speeds.

I'm not sure that John's has the bandwidth limiter? (I need this feature)
Just to answer your question....no not yet. It's on my 'todo' list to backport it for a future release. Not the next release which I'm buttoning up right now, but probably the release after that.

Maybe somebody can help...
If I upgrade from 380.57 to 380.57.1 do I need to hard reset?
I know that it is better to put on clean but... I'm asking to see if I can save 1 hour of life :)

Never used, I forgot about this solution.
I will try this. It is John9527's work, so it must be a good tool

The 380.57.1 update did the trick :)
Download/Upload seems to be perfect with latest version.
Using 380.57.1 with the new driver, no more troubles here!
Download 239/Upload 105

Thank you!

Maybe somebody can help...
If I upgrade from 380.57 to 380.57.1 do I need to hard reset?
I know that it is better to put on clean but... I'm asking to see if I can save 1 hour of life :)

I didn't do hard reset, just upgraded over 380.57, and everything is working excellent.

Thank you, jesteves! Good to know.
Meantime I used for the first time save-restore-nvram and it worked with the exception of 3 settings which I had to do it manually.

Hi All, anyone mind sharing some info or link to info on the difference between Merlin, John and Gomes' forks?

TIA.

Meantime I used for the first time save-restore-nvram and it worked with the exception of 3 settings which I had to do it manually.
Would you mind making a post in the NVRAM Save/Restore thread with the 3 settings? I'm getting ready to do an update to the utility and want to make sure I get these. Thanks.

Hi All, anyone mind sharing some info or link to info on the difference between Merlin, John and Gomes' forks?

TIA.

Read the changelogs for each.

So far I've seen people mainly discussed the below two issues in this HGG-FINAL fork:
  1. distribution of GPL'ed binary software but refused to disclose source code
  2. capability of assisting users significantly boost XXX that easily violates YYY (yes, not wanting this post to end up as Exhibit B in Z)
Out of curiosity, I followed the publicly available link and read the changelog of HGG-FINAL. I made a snapshot here: http://pastebin.com/Y203VLFL

I've been frequent visitor (in the past half year) on this forum. I can roughly recognise what new features being added to the other two major firmware's.

I quickly skim through the HGG-FINAL changelog. The following features caught my attention:
Code:
380.57: (5 JAN 16)
- NEW: WEBUI disable scan media (for dlna service) on boot option.
- NEW: WEBUI Power LED only option available on Stealth Mode.
- NEW: WEBUI save syslog to JFFS option.
- NEW: WEBUI support change HTTP port.
378.55: (19 JUL 15)
- NEW: FW logo.

I feel a bit uneasy. Is it only me? I scrapped half of my post after a second thought. Simply want to throw out a question for discussion...

So far I've seen people mainly discussed the below two issues in this HGG-FINAL fork:
  1. distribution of GPL'ed binary software but refused to disclose source code
  2. capability of assisting users significantly boost XXX that easily violates YYY (yes, not wanting this post to end up as Exhibit B in Z)
Out of curiosity, I followed the publicly available link and read the changelog of HGG-FINAL. I made a snapshot here: http://pastebin.com/Y203VLFL

I've been frequent visitor (in the past half year) on this forum. I can roughly recognise what new features being added to the other two major firmware's.

I quickly skim through the HGG-FINAL changelog. The following features caught my attention:
Code:
380.57: (5 JAN 16)
- NEW: WEBUI disable scan media (for dlna service) on boot option.
- NEW: WEBUI Power LED only option available on Stealth Mode.
- NEW: WEBUI save syslog to JFFS option.
- NEW: WEBUI support change HTTP port.
378.55: (19 JUL 15)
- NEW: FW logo.

I feel a bit uneasy. Is it only me? I scrapped half of my post after a second thought. Simply want to throw out a question for discussion...

You've lost me? What makes you so uneasy about those changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.