What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Something is hanging up https or keeping it too busy to respond. I use curl for the check, and the (28) is the curl return code which is a timeout. Just speculating, but do you have a lot of syslog activity going on (do you have packet logging on for example)?

As long as it doesn't repeat one right after one another, it means its breaking whatever it is free by restarting https.

Nope the syslog is at its default level, nothing changed. If i have ssl disabled then i don't get any errors (your fix is working well on the beta and I dont have to add the router ip to the specified IP addr list).

Update: Yep 24 hours and no errors with ssl disabled.

Last edited:
nvram set drop_caches=1
nvram commit

Unfortunately it didn't help.
The solution seems to be to add the parameter "nobuf" of the Paragon NTFS driver for the mountpoint.
Code:
UUID=4C84D53V4D964CC /tmp/mnt/asus3  ufsd rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,noatime,async,nls=utf8,nobuf 0 0
Now the harddrive spins up earlier and the first video doesn't crash because it gets the data too late.

The issue regarding the big hosts file still exists.
I've created a new hosts file with an size of 14mb and got the same issue that I wasn't able to load any website from my computer. I wasn't also able to ping any website. But a ping is possible from the router. So the dns resolution is working fine.
A hosts file with about 9mb size is also working fine.

I don't have any further idea what could be a difference between this fork and the merlin version except the ASUS firmware. So I will stay with the smaller hosts version now.

Hello John9527! I am trying out your beta firmware on my AC66R since I need a working traditional QOS & I am very happy with the results. I am stumped on how to create the optional script for native ipv6 host name resolution. I have Comcast & always score a 19 out of 20 on the ipv6test for not having a hostname.

I turned on jffs & the option to start custom scripts. I ssh into the router using root or admin@192.168.1.1 & CD into /jffs. I tried to make a /configs directory but it tells me I am using a read-only file system. I am lost. Is there a simple howto someone can help me to create the /configs/dnsmaq.add file so I can try that ipv6 hostname updater. I read Merlins wiki about scripts but cannot find any mentions about my router stating that /jffs is read-only. I am a ssh noob. Also when I ssh the command "ls" nothing is shown in those directorys under /temp/home or /jffs. Am I ssh into the router improperly?

I selected that option when first installing the firmware, I believe so because I had turned off Jffs & stopped sending syslog there also.
It might be worth trying it again. When properly enabled it will have automatically created the configs and scripts subdirectories.

It might be worth trying it again. When properly enabled it will have automatically created the configs and scripts subdirectories.

I see, so when I formatted jffs I deleted all the scripts! So should I reinstall the firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see, so when I formatted jffs I deleted all the scripts! So should I reinstall the firmware?
No need. There are no scripts in the /jffs directory. Just to empty subdirectories, called configs and scripts, for user configs/scripts.

If you don't have those subdirectories and /jffs is read-only then there is a problem.

No need. There are no scripts in the /jffs directory. Just to empty subdirectories, called configs and scripts, for user configs/scripts.

If you don't have those subdirectories and /jffs is read-only then there is a problem.
Ok I got it finally, I just reinstalled the firmware & finally uploaded the dnsmasq.conf.add file. After firmware installed, I disabled syslog saves & enabled scripts & configs, this time I did not reformat at boot.
Code:
scp dnsmasq.conf.add admin@RT-AC66R-7CD8:/jffs/configs
This is what I put in the file
Code:
#!/bin/sh
dhcp-script=/usr/sbin/v6hosts.sh
addn-hosts=/_etc/hosts.autov6
I did remove the underscore, this site throws up a "you are blocked" error if I write the correct code, now I know what John was talking about the Cloudflare thing. Thanks ColinTaylor!

I just installed this firmware. I was only able to use a 16 character password. Is there a way to allow for longer login passwords?

John,

Why version 22E4 takes a very long time to Refresh the Client's List, after the button is pushed? Sometimes it takes longer than others. Right now I hit refresh about 15 minutes ago and it still says "Searching Please Wait":( Not much has changed in my Network. Is it the Browser? I tried both Explorer and my usual Chrome....!

I just installed this firmware. I was only able to use a 16 character password. Is there a way to allow for longer login passwords?
Unfortunately, not right now.....that's a carry over from the original ASUS firmware, also the same in the latest Merlin. We're worried about trying to find all the places it may be referenced and introducing a buffer overflow if we try and change it.

This is a weird one but both my hard drives spun up when i just opened the admin gui. I had also noticed this yesterday.

John,

Why version 22E4 takes a very long time to Refresh the Client's List, after the button is pushed? Sometimes it takes longer than others. Right now I hit refresh about 15 minutes ago and it still says "Searching Please Wait":( Not much has changed in my Network. Is it the Browser? I tried both Explorer and my usual Chrome....!
The only time I've run into this is if there is a device on the network that is misbehaving and creating an arp storm. I hit it occasionally on a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. I've also found some references that Samsung TVs may also show this problem. (Router sends and arp request for an address, the device responds, but then the device sends an arp request for the router address.....the router responds 'I have that address', then the device sends another of the same request......router responds...repeat....). This hangs up the networkmap as it updates it's data for each of the requests. A reboot of the the client will generally break it free. (it's not as easy to prevent as it would first seem).

Just for reference, it will take about 4-6 minutes to refresh the map on a default configuration.

This is a weird one but both my hard drives spun up when i just opened the admin gui. I had also noticed this yesterday.
Not really weird :) If you have samba shares or are running the DLNA server, the router will refresh the status when you open the gui. Usually, the data will be cached, but depending on what has been going on it may have been flushed.....then the spinup will occur.

The only time I've run into this is if there is a device on the network that is misbehaving and creating an arp storm. I hit it occasionally on a SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime. I've also found some references that Samsung TVs may also show this problem. (Router sends and arp request for an address, the device responds, but then the device sends an arp request for the router address.....the router responds 'I have that address', then the device sends another of the same request......router responds...repeat....). This hangs up the networkmap as it updates it's data for each of the requests. A reboot of the the client will generally break it free. (it's not as easy to prevent as it would first seem).

Just for reference, it will take about 4-6 minutes to refresh the map on a default configuration.

Thank you John. Funny that you mentioned Samsung TVs, because I do have one on the Network, the other Samsung product that has terrible WiFi connectivity is my Samsung SoundBar, it drops off and on the Network all the time, it used to make an annoying sound every time it did that, but I found out how to disable the sound part. :(

Not really weird :) If you have samba shares or are running the DLNA server, the router will refresh the status when you open the gui. Usually, the data will be cached, but depending on what has been going on it may have been flushed.....then the spinup will occur.

Don't have samba or media server running though... anyways the beta is running great and stable as usual. Havent noticed anything out of the ordinary apart from the disks.
Those httpd errors with ssl enabled is the only smudge on an otherwise spotless mirror. :D

I am currently running Merlins 380.65 on my RT-AC66U and was interested in trying this firmware, will i see any performance change and is the QoS the same as i game a lot and like to use it.

Thank you john for all your hard work.
Just to report you, I have been using V22E2 for a while.Upgraded to 23B8 there's streaming problem with the youtube. So I updated V22E4 and everything working just fine.
Nothing changed that would affect youtube and it works fine for me. What problem are you having?

I am currently running Merlins 380.65 on my RT-AC66U and was interested in trying this firmware, will i see any performance change and is the QoS the same as i game a lot and like to use it.
'Performance' is a pretty open descriptor. Overall, the performance should be about the same....some people see a bit of improvement on wireless.

I recently re-wrote the traditional QoS, so it will be different than the current Merlin (so far the reports have been positive and it's been viewed as an improvement).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!