What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, after trying different versions of Fork firmwares, im still having issues with 4G LTE hotspot, when connected to USB as a main source of internet. And I cant get internet at all. I can ping websites from with in the router, but I cant ping websites from a computer, and I cant access any websites.

As I test, I switched to Merlins 384.15 firmware and the Hotspot connected to AC68 router via USB, works with out any issues. Internet works.

So no more Fork firmware for me.

I can ping websites from with in the router, but I cant ping websites from a computer, and I cant access any websites.
That usually indicates that you need to set "Extend TTL Value" to Yes in the Firewall - General settings. But I guess you've already done that.

EDIT: Merlin's firmware has another related setting that John's doesn't. It's possible that's the key difference. That setting is Spoof TTL Value. If you prefer to stick with John's firmware you could create a custom script that does the same thing.

EDIT 2: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-to-update-ac66-firmware.61763/#post-550256

Last edited:
That usually indicates that you need to set "Extend TTL Value" to Yes in the Firewall - General settings. But I guess you've already done that.

EDIT: Merlin's firmware has another related setting that John's doesn't. It's possible that's the key difference. That setting is Spoof TTL Value. If you prefer to stick with John's firmware you could create a custom script that does the same thing.

EDIT 2: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-to-update-ac66-firmware.61763/#post-550256

This is a dedicated Mobile ZTE Velocity 2 hotspot, so TTL does not need to be spoofed. The router detects the Hotspot correctly, but wont let anything past it (in or out). It periodically worked with 39E3, but stopped working in 41xx firmwares.

With Merlins firmware, there is zero issues.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit;

Only way I was able to make it work with Fork firmware, is connect the Hotspot to a Laptop via usb, create a bridge connection in Windows and connect laptop to Wan port on AC68 router. But this limited my download speeds to 90Mbps, because laptop has a 100Mbps Nic card. Its a 7 year old laptop.

With Merlin firmware, I don't have to use a laptop. And im getting around 125Mbps, while Hotspot is connected via USB to USB3 port on AC68 router.

Plus the internet seems to be snappier by eliminating the Windows Laptop out of the equation.

Last edited:
I see a truly "development" build 42D3 in the Dev OneDrive with this extra note of caution:
IMPORTANT:

This is a true 'development' version that includes
- the latest dnsmasq release candidate
- the latest getnds/stubby releases
- an upgrade to vsftpd including basic TLS support using the router cert/key

I had to revert a couple of upstream commits from the new releases above
in my quest to get a functioning/stable build.

Also, I currently am not able to test on MIPS routers. Based on some
changes in stubby, I *THINK* that my private changes to support MIPS are
no longer required...but this has not been verified.
So don't blindly upgrade because this isn't a final E version.
Code:
374.43_42D3j9527  (10-March-2020) ARM SDK, MIPS,ARM KRACK
- CHANGED: vsftpd: add native support for basic ftp_tls using router httpd cert/key
- CHANGED: vsftpd: (backport) misc ftp support
- CHANGED: vsftpd: backport vsftpd-3.x Makefile
- CHANGED: vsftpd: (backport) disable process isolation under MIPS
- CHANGED: vsftpd: (backport) apply ipv6 listen fix
- CHANGED: make: add support/default to vsftpd-3.x
- CHANGED: vsftpd: add release 3.0.3
- CHANGED: vsftpd: rel 3.0 components compatible with common libdisk
- CHANGED: libdisk: update to last merlin 380 release

374.43_42D2j9527  (8-March-2020) ARM SDK, MIPS,ARM KRACK
* CHANGED: dnsmasq: revert upstream Ignore routes in non-main tables b2ed691
* FIXED: getdns: revert upstream Record and guard UDP max payload size with servers 6cb1593

374.43_42D1j9527  (7-March-2020) ARM SDK, MIPS,ARM KRACK
* CHANGED: dnsmasq: update to 2.81rc2
* CHANGED: stubby: remove cipher definitons not supported with openssl11 using api 1.0.0
* CHANGED: getdns: update makefile for CMAKE
- CHANGED: stubby: disable TCP_FASTOPEN_CONNECT in runtime
- CHANGED: getdns: fix ATTR_UNUSED detection
- CHANGED: getdns: fix build with older gcc
- CHANGED: stubby: update to getdns 1.6.0/stubby 0.3.0

374.43_41EBj9527  (7-March-2020) ARM SDK, MIPS,ARM KRACK
* CHANGED: stubby: dnscrypt: move resolvers csv source to rom directory
- CHANGED: openssl: (backport) update allowed ciphers

I see a truly "development" build 42D3 in the Dev OneDrive with this extra note of caution:

Code:
- CHANGED: vsftpd: add native support for basic ftp_tls using router httpd cert/key

* FIXED: getdns: revert upstream Record and guard UDP max payload size with servers 6cb1593

* CHANGED: stubby: remove cipher definitons not supported with openssl11 using api 1.0.0

phew, thanks. i was downloading it while i was reading the thread for some feedback on this new upload so you saved me some heartache lol

Updated my RT-AC68U rev a1 with 42D3 default settings. Running smooth for 2 days now.

Last edited:

Code:

The Development note was updated this morning to reflect that the MIPS testing was successful. This is a surreal experience. I'm hoping someone has wagered John a lot of money that he couldn't stay off snbforums.com for 1 year, and he'll back soon, a little richer. :p

EDIT: I was in about to flash my old N66 when I saw the updated note.

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone has wagered John a lot of money that he couldn't stay off snbforums.com for 1 year, and he'll back soon, a little richer. :p
I’ve been around here for a while and what I have noticed is that the endless, inane demands of entitled and/or clueless users has eventually driven most of the content creators away. I think everyone deals with the stress of support in their own way. Eric started putting his foot down about topics he will no longer address, etc. @thelonelycoder has encountered some tension in supporting diversion as of late for various reasons. All that’s really different here in fork land is that the first post isn’t updated and frankly my guess is that he likes not having to handle complaints about why the L builds are missing. And besides, he has no reason to be present here with you and @ColinTaylor providing excellent user support. If you could work on your project at your pace without having to engage in the nastier side of criticism, when is x getting fixed, etc., you would wouldn’t you?

If you could work on your project at your pace without having to engage in the nastier side of criticism, when is x getting fixed, etc., you would wouldn’t you?
This is one of the reasons I didn't push myself to go forward with my UI for Unbound. I know I'm not skilled or dedicated enough to handle the inevitable demands from people like me and the rest of us wanting more and better. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but it's a lot to ask for free.

I don't want to speculate on John's real situation, since we're clueless. But I remember him posting in the past that he found working on the fork to be therapeutic. So I'm happy he's stuck with it. :)

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have only just seen that John was doing updates in the dev drive. Which version should I go with? 41ea was updated just a couple days ago but another folder (42d3) is there with much more changes according to the changelog with other versions not available for download. And for the future, how would I go about deciding which version/folder to use?

Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have only just seen that John was doing updates in the dev drive. Which version should I go with? 41ea was updated just a couple days ago but another folder (42d3) is there with much more changes according to the changelog with other versions not available for download. And for the future, how would I go about deciding which version/folder to use?

Thanks.
The “dev drive” is now just the drive. Development builds are the D builds. The generally accepted as stable builds are the E builds. Reports seem to be that the recent dev build is ok, but for your purposes I would recommend the latest stable build, in this case 41EA.

Thanks.
Generally you go with the latest E build (41EA as of now). Very solid build.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!