What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

On my RT-N16 it works. Prefixed with nohup works even beter.

Try something like:

nohup mtd-write -i /tmp/upgrade-file.trx -d linux;sleep 30;echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq;echo u > /proc/sysrq-trigger;echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq;echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

I ask because I think the command differs on ARM.

I ask because I think the command differs on ARM.
Yes, the command is different for ARM. Also, a couple of other things to keep in mind....
- the firmware shut downs several services before the upgrade
- after the upgrade it cleans up the original firmware image
- in the case of ARM, it actually builds a new, small rootfs, to handle the reboot

Any reason not to start an OpenVPN server to connect to instead of ssh (unless this is an N16)? This way you don't have to open the ssh port and can use the full firmware function through the gui.

Last edited:
it's an N16 :)
i'll try to upgrade from entware Openvpn

Do you have entware Openvpn working on the latest build of the fork running on N16? Let me know. My entware Openvpn setup broke on one of the prior builds and I haven't updated since. Would be good to know if it is working now.

I updated from 18B1 to 18E2.

When connected with OpenVPN to my router (port 1194), I always do a port test with new firmware, using ShieldsUP on my own WAN IP address.
Always ends up being "stealth" for all first 1056 ports.
However with the latest firmware I see port 137,138 and 445 as "Closed".
Funny thing is, when I scan again all is stealth.
Problem with ShieldsUP website or maybe related to V18E2?

Anyone else noticed this?

(I'll test again locally not using OpenVPN to connect to my home.)

Do you have entware Openvpn working on the latest build of the fork running on N16? Let me know. My entware Openvpn setup broke on one of the prior builds and I haven't updated since. Would be good to know if it is working now.
yes, entware openvpn working fine here v18e2 rt-n16

I updated from 18B1 to 18E2.

When connected with OpenVPN to my router (port 1194), I always do a port test with new firmware, using ShieldsUP on my own WAN IP address.
Always ends up being "stealth" for all first 1056 ports.
However with the latest firmware I see port 137,138 and 445 as "Closed".
Funny thing is, when I scan again all is stealth.
Problem with ShieldsUP website or maybe related to V18E2?

Anyone else noticed this?

(I'll test again locally not using OpenVPN to connect to my home.)
I just double checked from my laptop (running Linux) connected to the router OpenVPN server. Everything shows as stealth, except for my port forwards as expected. I can't think of anything that was changed that would change that behavior.

Now those ports are all Netbios related. Are you testing from a Windows client? Windows 10? Have you recently applied the Anniversary update? The Anniversary updated changed quite a bit, and it may be worthwhile to double check the network settings if that is the case.

yes, entware openvpn working fine here v18e2 rt-n16
Thanks for the info. One thing...can you post your memory and nvram utilization running the V18 code? I've been adding things over time, and wonder how the N16 is doing .

Now those ports are all Netbios related. Are you testing from a Windows client? Windows 10? Have you recently applied the Anniversary update? The Anniversary updated changed quite a bit, and it may be worthwhile to double check the network settings if that is the case.

Many ISPs will actively block SMB ports, dropping connection attempts on these, which results in these ports being reported as "closed" by online test sites.

I just double checked from my laptop (running Linux) connected to the router OpenVPN server. Everything shows as stealth, except for my port forwards as expected. I can't think of anything that was changed that would change that behavior.

Thx for testing.
Yes, it is Windows 10 client with the Anniversary update.
However I guess that is not related.

Many ISPs will actively block SMB ports, dropping connection attempts on these, which results in these ports being reported as "closed" by online test sites.

I switched ISP few months ago, could be very well why I now see this. :)

Things have been fairly quiet, but two minor problems have been reported. I've posted an update V18E3 to address just these two issues. There is no need to update unless either of these is particularly annoying to you. As always, thanks for the continued feedback.

LATEST RELEASE: Update-18E3
13-August-2016
Merlin fork 374.43_2-18E3j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

Update-18E3 Highlights
  • Fork Updates/Fixes
    • New QoS ATM overhead option incorrectly shown for MIPS based routers
      This option should only be available for ARM based routers (AC56, AC68), and should not be presented for the MIPS routers. In previous V18 levels, the option would be shown for MIPS routers, but you could not save changes.
    • Could not Apply settings on the Administration>Settings page using IE browser
      This was a regression introduced enhancing the security checking for the router password and was unique to Internet Explorer. Firefox and Chrome browsers would work correctly.

Enjoy!

Release V18E1 is now available...Details are in the first post and ChangeLog, but here are a couple of the big items in the update...

LATEST RELEASE: Update-18E1
21-July-2016
Merlin fork 374.43_2-18E1j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

Update-18E1 Highlights
  • Updated components - OpenVPN, OpenSSL, dnsmasq, lighttpd, mDNSResponder, timemachine
  • AC56 and AC68 ARM routers are now compiled with a 64M rootfs
    For fork users with a current CFE, upgrade to this firmware as usual, then you will be able to change to the latest Merlin/OEM builds without the need for an intermediate firmware upgrade. Note that if you move from the fork to a 380 firmware level, you will have to use the Firmware Restoration tool if you desire to return to this fork.
  • Numerous tweaks/improvements/fixes to QoS (both traditional and bandwidth limiter). Bandwidth limiter users should upgrade to this level to correct a problem in properly setting the BW limiter rules.
  • A special option for the EU N66 users.....Allow extended 5GHz channels to be enabled for EU N66 via an nvram setting. This is a regulatory compliant implementation (including radar detection), but in keeping with the fork history, implemented as an 'Engineering Mode' which may provide somewhat better performance over the OEM code. Special thanks to @ColinTaylor for helping to test/debug this change.
  • Enhanced checking for weak router passwords
  • New banner alerts (the exclamation point) for low NVRAM and firewall disabled
  • Enhanced syslog messages for gui login/logoff

Enjoy!
john does this have the extra iptables marks?

john does this have the extra iptables marks?
Everybody else reading this is going...huh? what? :)
But the answer is yes.....from the Changelog.txt (not everything goes in the highlights)

- allow up to 15 marks for traditional qos for custom rules

party.gif
Couldn't resist a little celebratory post for the fork 2 year anniversary. First release on 8-14-2014. 807 commits through V18E3.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!