1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V39E3)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by john9527, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin Regular Contributor

sorry to hear that. my condolence :{

tbh don't worry about the forums. you got better things to do at this hour. take the year off.

2. hd0120

hd0120 Occasional Visitor

My sincere condolences to you and your family, John.

3. Realast8

Realast8 New Around Here

I'm sorry for your loss, John. You'll be in my family's thoughts and prayers. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DaBiGoReO

DaBiGoReO Occasional Visitor

My deepest condolences to John and his family through this difficult time. The forums and users will hold until you get back. Your work and Merlin's are always much appreciated.

Sincerely,

5. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and thoughts....very much appreciated.

sm00thpapa likes this.
  6. john9527

Glad you got it figured out. I've only seen this a couple of times, most recently before you on someone who 'converted' a TM1900 to AC68U. It can always be fixed with a factory reset. I've never been able to recreate it, so haven't been able to track down what was corrupted in nvram. If anyone ever sees it again, please save your nvram settings with 'nvram show' to a file so I might be able to see what's up.

7. john9527

If you are using any of the '#a' mods, make sure that you specify a channel for the 5GHz band, otherwise the router may 'auto' change to a different channel that isn't supported by your client. (Nothing changed in this in the V15 builds over previous builds, but there may have been some external noise causing the change).

8. john9527

Hmmm.....there was a change that removed an invalid topology parm for VPN servers running in TAP mode. Shouldn't have affected things, but????

I did do a check against the latest code, and they did explicitly add the 'duplicate-cn' option as part of the auto config gen when it didn't conflict with other options. I backported those changes for the V16 release so it shouldn't be required to be added manually then.

9. john9527

Interesting environment, and actually needs a bit more than just disabling the update failed messages (more things are becoming dependent on the router 'knowing' it has a valid date, for instance the new reboot scheduler). I'm working on an update/option that will disable the NTP updates entirely, but fake out the router that it has a valid date/time so you can then set the time manually...

dasbrot likes this.
  10. john9527

This is a known problem with the older drivers in the fork. I worked with another user in the past trying to add retries to the data collection in case it was a short transient to no avail. The RSSI values will come back at the drivers discretion :) Sorry.

punchsuckr likes this.
  11. john9527

My ISP tops out at about 60Mbps so I can't test that end. But I did do a measure between a wireless AC client and wired PC which showed up correctly in the monitor (on both the wired and wireless 5GHz tabs) at my usual ~250Mbps.

One thing that's been a contributor to things like this in the past is NAT Acceleration.....are you running with it on or off?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. john9527

Yes, still using HE Tunnel and it works fine with my AC68 with HW acceleration. Sorry I missed it, but what router are you using? There have been some reports of problems on the MIPS based routers in the past with IPv6/HW acceleration.

Just for an experiment, you might try unchecking the 'Enable IPv6 MTU Advertisement' checkbox near the bottom of the IPv6 setup page. For some unknown reason, this has helped native IPv6 to work on some ISPs....maybe it might help here as well.

13. john9527

Just thought I'd add a pointer to this post for anyone wishing to move from this fork to the latest Merlin builds on the ARM routers.
    http://www.snbforums.com/threads/updating-to-latest-merlin-build-for-rt-ac68u.28873/#post-221522

Net is that with the increasing size of the firmware levels, an updated CFE is no longer sufficient to allow the upgrade directly. In addition to having an upgraded CFE, the base 'come from' code must also support a 64M ROOTFS. So, in order to upgrade, you'll need to do an intermediate upgrade....376.3636 ASUS OEM or 378.55 Merlin will do the trick to get you to 378.56 and above.

14. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Hi John. Thanks for asking but I think it's a bit of a red herring actually.

After testing different kinds of download (with and without NAT acceleration) it's only a problem when I max out the download bandwidth using something like speedtest.net.

Other types of download, like multiple torrents, or downloads which never quite reach 100% capacity are not a problem. Even at 99.9% the traffic monitor works OK.

But with speedtest.net as the download speed approaches 150Mbps the routers SIRQ goes up to 100% and the webui becomes almost completely unresponsive. Even an SSH session only responds in fits and starts. WAN to LAN transfers are unaffected though.

When the speed test completes the traffic graph does a kind of "accelerated catch up". It's at this point that the graph draws the stupidly high values.

So I guess it's something to do with the single-threaded nature of the speed test. As it doesn't appear to impact the LAN clients, and it only happens when performing a synthetic benchmark, I'm inclined to just ignore it.

P.S. In case you're wondering, I did the testing with different browsers, and with the download running on one PC whilst I watched the traffic monitor on another.

15. john9527

If the NTP update failed, there should be failure messages in the syslog (will put out a log entry for every 5 consecutive attempts that fail).
    Also, the default is to not log successful NTP updates. You can change this and also log the successful updates by entering via telnet/ssh

Code:
    nvram set ntp_log=1
    nvram commit
    It's possible that there was a bad nvram entry that hitting apply corrected. Please post back if you continue to have a problem.

16. john9527

I personally don't use AICloud Sync... Is anyone else using AICloud Sync successfully? I did see that in the newer code levels it's listed as AICloud 2.0, but I'm not sure what has changed.
    I just tested a save/reset/restore and everything came back fine. Just to make sure, remember you cannot restore the settings from one code level to another with the built in Save/Upload settings.

17. followmsi

followmsi Regular Contributor

Hi John ..

First of all .. My condolences to you and your family.

I am running the RT-AC68U since 3 weeks without reboot - no problems so far.
    Today I have seen that the router time has 7 seconds difference to the ntp servers time.

The ntpd daemon does not keep the time in sync anymore ?

Thanks for your help.

18. john9527

Actually, it's the opposite. Prior to V15, the ntp update code was bugged such that it never fired again after the router was booted and set the time.

Just to make sure, try setting the router to log successful updates via telnet/ssh with
    Code:
    nvram set ntp_log=1
    nvram commit
    reboot not necessary after changing this setting.

Then you should see entries like this in the syslog
    Code:
    Dec  3 05:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
    Dec  3 05:59:57 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)

For me, it's been very accurate. I have a PC that I'm using with Windows Media Center as my main home theater that has a RTC that runs a bit fast. I'm using the router as my network SNTP server to update it's clock and it's kept things right in sync (comparing the PC clock with the clock on my cable box that I still have)

I may also re-think the default logging setting for the next release.

19. mobileman88

mobileman88 Regular Contributor

Sorry for your loss. My condolences. Please take care of your family and yourself in this difficult time.

20. il2

il2 Occasional Visitor

Ah, forget that your AC68 is ARM. Yep cristobal07 and me happened to have RT-N16 and HE tunnel set up. He had a problem that IPv6 tests from the router such as ping, traceroute6, wget -6 ipv6.test-ipv6.com worked out moreless nicely, but failed miserably on any device behind the router (Win10, Win7, Android smartphone).
    He had run and presented enormous quantity of tests until it bugged me that HW Accel could do something wrong with IPv6 tunneled traffic. He just disabled HW Acceleration and got his first 10/10 test-ipv6.com result.
    I've had HW Accel disabled since I've turned on IPtraffic monitoring and mostly no problems with IPv6 HE tunnel. The strange thing I found out is that even with IPtraffic monitoring=off and HW Accel=on in my setup IPv6 HE tunnel still works just the same.

P.S. Regarding what you have proposed 'Enable IPv6 MTU Advertisement' didn't have had any noticeable impact. I've it checked and running fine, as is cristobal07.