What's new

Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 52E3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm having trouble updating RT-N66U from 3.0.0.4.382_51641 to this release: RT-N66U_374.43_52E3j9527
I get the "Please wait, Applying settings..." message for a few seconds then it disappears and the router is still on the old FW.
I've factory reset the router and also "hard reset" according to Asus directions (holding WPS while powering-on).

I'm having trouble updating RT-N66U from 3.0.0.4.382_51641 to this release: RT-N66U_374.43_52E3j9527
I get the "Please wait, Applying settings..." message for a few seconds then it disappears and the router is still on the old FW.
I've factory reset the router and also "hard reset" according to Asus directions (holding WPS while powering-on).
See the Installation Notes linked to from post #1. You need to use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool or put the router into recovery mode to flash the firmware.

Hi! Can I use skynet on Merlin fork 374.43_52E3J9527? My device is asus rt-n66u dark knight Ver. B1
It will run on my fork on the AC68...not sure about the N66 (don't know if Skynet requires ipset v6...the N66 only supports ipset v4). Best to ask in the Skynet support forum.

Just a quick followup on the last question....
I keep the amtm version updated and included on the fork, but it's up to the individual addon developers to support or not support running on this fork (sometimes not for technical reasons). I don't use any addons, so don't have personal experience with them.

If there are problems raised, I'll do my best to address them if possible.

Last edited:
I keep the amtm version updated and included on the fork, but it's up to the individual addon developers to support or not support running on this fork (sometimes not for technical reasons). I don't use any addons, so don't have personal experience with them.

Who needs addons when you can just compile your own firmware? :)

Skynet looks for ipset v6 or v7 during install.

Good news on the AMTM update! As you noticed. There is no possibility to support ipset v6 in 66u. But I may be wrong or the person who gave the answer to me.

Good news on the AMTM update! As you noticed. There is no possibility to support ipset v6 in 66u. But I may be wrong or the person who gave the answer to me.
Sorry, but that's correct. The N66U kernel is too old to support ipset v6.

Sorry, but that's correct. The N66U kernel is too old to support ipset v6.
I haven't asked the skynet pages about 66u support yet. I understand that there is no possibility of launching skynet. Due to the lack of ipsec v6 support in 66u.

John. I am a fan of the fifa game. There are a lot of problems in this game related to EA servers, re-sending packets (input delay). To this I can add that I am at a decent distance from the server. I am not well versed in the intricacies of networks and everything related to it. I would like to learn from you. Do you have the opportunity to add templates, settings, DNS, blocking of certain servers to your firmware (in my case, this is a Swedish server) or improving the quality of connection with Amazon servers. I understand that I am asking a lot and I apologize for my impudence! But if it was technically possible and didn't take you much time. That would be cool! That's why I want to try skynet. As far as I understand, skynet is a firewall with the ability to block ip addresses and subnets by bypassing the white list of Amazon servers. I saw in your firmware in the QoS settings. That there is an opportunity to pass more traffic to this game. But unfortunately it does not bring more results. Wireshark always shows packet resending in the udp report. I understand that it's the server's fault. Can this be improved? Can you share information about this) You are more familiar with Internet networks.
I am very grateful to you for your help and your time. Thanks!

John. I am a fan of the fifa game. There are a lot of problems in this game related to EA servers, re-sending packets (input delay). To this I can add that I am at a decent distance from the server. I am not well versed in the intricacies of networks and everything related to it. I would like to learn from you. Do you have the opportunity to add templates, settings, DNS, blocking of certain servers to your firmware (in my case, this is a Swedish server) or improving the quality of connection with Amazon servers. I understand that I am asking a lot and I apologize for my impudence! But if it was technically possible and didn't take you much time. That would be cool! That's why I want to try skynet. As far as I understand, skynet is a firewall with the ability to block ip addresses and subnets by bypassing the white list of Amazon servers. I saw in your firmware in the QoS settings. That there is an opportunity to pass more traffic to this game. But unfortunately it does not bring more results. Wireshark always shows packet resending in the udp report. I understand that it's the server's fault. Can this be improved? Can you share information about this) You are more familiar with Internet networks.
I am very grateful to you for your help and your time. Thanks!
I can't help you with all your wishes but for the firewall part you can use legacy IPSet scripts to block IP's/subnets you like: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Legacy-Ipset-Scripts

I'm sorry. I am a weak user in the script. I'm just trying to do something. I can use this information from the website and scripts via "putty exe "? I saw that skynet has a kind of interface cmd exe . How do I use Peer Guardian V3 scripts? Just run in "putty exe "?

I just installed release 52E3 on my N66U with Asus Restoration tool + miniCFE (clear Nvram) and client mode is working beautifully (*) !
(*) I had some trouble with release 47 or so and reverted to Asus stock but that's old history. ;)

Thanks 4 all the great work !
Can we contribute ? (paypal)

Just installed this on my RT-N66U for the first time over the stock firmware. (I have a recollection I may have tried the Merlin firmware a long time ago when it was young, and found some problem, so reverted to stock 3.0.0.220).

Just wanted to confirm the state of the QoS for IPv6 on the N66U. It looks like it's basically non-functional - it can't load mangle_rules_ipv6 because ip6tables 1.3.8 doesn't support conntrack, and it's using ip6tables 1.3.8 because of the old kernel 2.6.22.

I guess that's just the way it is?

I was intending to mess with the QoS by adding some dscp matching rules... Seems to be doable for IPv4 at least. (I don't believe there's any built-in hidden DiffServ/DSCP handling, right?)

Just wanted to confirm the state of the QoS for IPv6 on the N66U. It looks like it's basically non-functional
I'm not aware of any problems with QoS on the MIPS routers....all of the reports have been that it works well.
Did you factory reset and reformat jffs after loading the fork firmware?

IPv4's fine, and yes, did the reset.

You always get the system log message about "Loading /tmp/mangle_rules_ipv6 failed". Loading that manually with ip6tables-restore shows it's complaining about not recognising "conntrack"

Been busy probing around at the terminal and checking out the source. That seems to confirm that the old ip6tables 1.3.8 in the N66U build supports neither the conntrack match used by the QoS gui nor the dscp match I was wanting to play with, so the error is inevitable.

The makefiles show the build uses iptables-1.4.x if you have kernel 2.6.38 or 3.x, else iptables (1.3.8). The N66U has kernel 2.66.22.

I can see the kernel was getting a bunch of IPv6 netfilter updates between 2.6.22 (as the RT-N66U uses) and 2.6.38, so I can see that maybe IPv6 QoS with 2.6.22 wouldn't fully work anyway?

But I don't see an immediate reason for not always using iptables-1.4.x, which would at least make it try. The iptables documentation suggest that even current versions should work back to kernel 2.4. It would intuitively seem like you're more likely to get N66U QoS problems by using a different version of iptables to other routers. But then there must have been some reason for deliberately retaining an old iptables tool for old kernels originally?

Was going to try this locally, but couldn't get the asuswrt build to work - always ends up stopping in OpenSSL complaining about not finding Makefile.org. Not put in the effort to debug that yet - tips welcome if you happen to know that one.

Last edited:
But then there must have been some reason for deliberately retaining an old iptables tool for old kernels originally?
Some components, iptables being one, are tied to the SDK/kernel. They aren't 'off the shelf' releases.

Anyway,
build 52E6 will be up in while iin the development/beta folder. Hopefully will fix up IPv6 support.

Last edited:
Was going to try this locally, but couldn't get the asuswrt build to work - always ends up stopping in OpenSSL complaining about not finding Makefile.org. Not put in the effort to debug that yet - tips welcome if you happen to know that one.
No, sorry. Makefiles are still a bit of 'black magic' to me. I'm currently playing with 3 different router firmware distributions, and I had to tweak the Makefiles for each one to get them to compile in my environment (I'm currently using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for all of them).

Anyway,
build 52E6 will be up in while iin the development/beta folder. Hopefully will fix up IPv6 support.
Thanks for looking at this! Didn't help though, unfortunately. Still the same error from the rules:

Code:
# ip6tables-restore /tmp/mangle_rules_ipv6
ip6tables-restore v1.3.8: Couldn't load match `conntrack':File not found

Error occurred at line: 5
Try `ip6tables-restore -h' or 'ip6tables-restore --help' for more information.

Not sure what you tried modifying - it looks to me like the old iptables just won't do it because it only has libipt_conntrack.c and libip6t_conntrack.c doesn't exist. iptables-1.4.x has libxt_conntrack.c, which is dual-protocol. I was fairly certain this wouldn't go anywhere unless iptables-1.4.x could be taken in to use. (But am happy to be proven wrong.)

(Although maybe it would be possible to knock up a "backport" libip6t_conntrack.c for iptables based on the libxt_conntrack.c from iptables-1.4.x? As far as I can see kernel 2.6.22 has the xt_conntrack support).

I don't care enough about IPv6 QoS on the N66U myself to spend much more time on this, so certainly not going to expect you to :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!