What's new

Frequent Internet Dropouts new(ish) NighthawkR7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cryoman

New Around Here
I have a Nighthawk R7000 which is about 4 months old. I've been having issues with frequent dropouts, typically between 1 and 2 mins, followed by automatic reconnection. The front internet light goes from steady white to orange.
I'm on a BT Infinity service with the old style white modem.
I've eliminated the modem buy substituting it for another one. Similarly I have tried with a different (Billion) router which has been running without problems for about a week now.
I've also tried connecting the modem to the BT master socket via a microfilter thus eliminating the domestic wiring as a source of the problems. Still getting dropouts.
So the fault definitely lays with the router.
I initially raised a ticket with Netgear Tech Support, who, to be fair were pretty quick to respond and they recommended reinstalling the firmware followed by a factory reset, which I did and all was well for a few days then they auto closed the ticket and a couple of days later the problem returned.
Now my 90 days "Complimentary" support has expired.
I'm really disappointed with Netgear's 90 day support - I don't know any other company that does that. (I'm not even sure that is inline with UK consumer law, but I'm not going to go there...).
There has been a further Netgear firmware update which I've installed, Current firmware version now v1.0.7.10_1.2.3.
The problem persists and I'm dammned if I'm gonna pay for support on what is basically a new unit.
I really don't want to send it back because when it works it works really well, its just these dropouts that are driving me crazy.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to assist pege63, but I really do not want to mess with non-Netgear firmware whilst its under warranty, because if I screw it up I will almost certainly have voided the warranty.
Netgear may think they are saving money by their strange support policy, but I will just return the unit under warranty. Call me old-fashioned but I fail to see how that will save them money.

Its easy to do and you can go back to STOCK FW and its far better FW then NG own.

Try to install this FW and READ the recommended procedure for initial flashing.

We probably shouldn't be promoting what is a general rip-off of both RMerlin's work, along with Asus's contributions to AsusWRT...

XVortex is a clear ripoff/pirate effort - and he doesn't support GPL or pretty much anything...

We probably shouldn't be promoting what is a general rip-off of both RMerlin's work, along with Asus's contributions to AsusWRT...

XVortex is a clear ripoff/pirate effort - and he doesn't support GPL or pretty much anything...

I thought RMerlin was involved in this version of the FW.
Based on new GPL 4180 code, not on older GPL 3831

I thought RMerlin was involved in this version of the FW.

No. I've never seen his code, and I recommend people not to trust it either, due to the lack of available sources, and the potential legal issues involved with this project.

Thanks everybody for your kind assistance. With respect, there seems to be some issues with this firmware so I'm not gonna go down that route. Netgear Guy has been in touch and Netgear support are back on board so I will trust in them to resolve (or authorise replacement)
I'll keep you posted on this for future reference in case anybody has similar issues.

Hi Cryoman, I am experiencing similar issues with my R7000 and was wondering if you found the fix...

Tia.
Are the symptoms exactly like mine Tia? Internet disconnected for about 90 seconds followed by automatic reconnection? The reason I ask is that I am due to speak to Netgear Support tomorrow (monday) and it would help if I could quote that it is not an isolated issue. They were talking about replacing the unit but it sounds like there may well be an issue with the R7000 or the firmware, although I have had 3 versions of the firmware already with no improvement.

Yes, in the last few days, disconnection and then automatic re-connection, very annoying... I just did a factory reset to see if any changes...

Yes, in the last few days, disconnection and then automatic re-connection, very annoying... I just did a factory reset to see if any changes...
Well, we have no solution yet, but following a conversation with them this afternoon, Netgear are going to replace the unit under warranty. We will then monitor the situation closely to see if it is a hardware problem. I advised the support agent of this thread, because I wanted to show that mine was not an isolated incident.
I will keep you updated but if your unit is still under warranty you should maybe think about getting them on board because if they can satisfy themselves that there is an issue their engineers can then get onto it and find a fix.

Latest update: I have to say, once they were on board (Thanks to NetgearMan on this forum) Netgear support have been great. The problem was been moved up to Level 2 support and one guy picks up the ball and runs with it to conclusion, no more auto closing of cases like on L1 support. My L2 support guy is really doing his best to assist.
Anyway, the new unit that Netgear sent me exhibited the same "fault" so its not a hardware issue. Support then did a remote session and installed a debug firmware which includes a log which gathers much more detailed data. This ran for a few days until the dropout ocurred and this was run past the next level support who eyeball it, then its sent to the engineers (inTaiwan, would you believe...).
So, we've got engineers in Taiwan looking at an issue raised by a user in the UK and being looked after by Level 2 support in the Philippines, so it seems International Rescue are on the case!
However, by their own admission, Taiwan ain't the greatest in communicationg and they've had the stuff for about 10 days so far. They came back requesting details of the setup (BT Infinity PPPoE, 2 box setup) plus whatever stuff was connected to the router, like NAS (WD My Cloud) plus android tablet and phone and Sky Q Box.
I'll keep you posted with any developments.
I'm still resisting the (growing) temptation of abandoning the unit and buying a TP-Link AC1900 V2 VDSL unit.......

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!