What's new

XT8 normal behavior?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would disable Smart Connect for better control over where the devices connect and use 2x separate SSIDs instead. Smart Connect is not that Smart in moving devices around and may create disconnections in time sensitive applications like streaming and voice/video calls. You have to experiment what works best for you. I would return this set and purchase AX86U for main router + AX86S for node. Both are more stable, run the same firmware and have the same radios. Much more capable hardware as well. XT8 has a history of firmware stability issues and is overpriced for what it is.
Just as another point of reference, I had a pair of XT8’s that I was using, one as the main router and one as a AIMesh node (using Ethernet backhaul). Put up with it for 2 years during which time it was never 100% stable, I was always having to tweak and fiddle. Finally gave up and replaced the main router XT8 with a RT-AX86U. I kept the one XT8 as the AIMesh node (still use Ethernet backhaul). It has been 100% stable since I made the change. No more fussing and fiddling, my network just works. It was a night and day difference. Maybe it was just me, IDK but that has been my experience. It’s been almost 3 months now and it is still rock solid. Honestly I don’t even think about my network anymore…which is just the way I like it.

An AX86U + AX86S is more expensive than the pair of XT8s in my area. Also the XT8s have higher WAF, so I have to stick to XT8.
If your main router is somewhere unobtrusive and out of the way you may want to consider just replacing that XT8 with a RT-AX86U and keeping the rest of the XT8’s as your AIMesh nodes. I did that and it solved all the issues I was having with using XT8’s for everything including the main router. I sold the XT8 I replaced on eBay. Of course it might not fix your issues but it worked for me.

When using an XT8 as a mesh node off an AX86U, are both 5 GHz radios available?
If it's wired backhaul, yes. Otherwise ASUS wants to dedicate the 5GHz-2 radio for backhaul.

Now, you can override that and make the radio also accept client connections. I wouldn't recommend that though. I don't think it's a case they test (and plainly, ASUS can barely manage to keep the mainstream use-cases functional). Moreover, if a client is working on that band then you have airtime conflict between the client's activity and the node's retransmissions on the backhaul connection. Net result is that the client gets barely half the throughput it could get on 5GHz-1, plus it's dragging down performance for other clients.

If it's wired backhaul, yes. Otherwise ASUS wants to dedicate the 5GHz-2 radio for backhaul.

Now, you can override that and make the radio also accept client connections. I wouldn't recommend that though. I don't think it's a case they test (and plainly, ASUS can barely manage to keep the mainstream use-cases functional). Moreover, if a client is working on that band then you have airtime conflict between the client's activity and the node's retransmissions on the backhaul connection. Net result is that the client gets barely half the throughput it could get on 5GHz-1, plus it's dragging down performance for other clients.
Good point although IIRC that is the case if you are using all XT8’s with WiFi backhaul as well. My sense was that he was questioning if it was different when using an RT-AX86U as the router with XT8 nodes, like I am and suggested, and using Ethernet backhaul vs using all XT8’s with Ethernet backhaul.

Good point although IIRC that is the case if you are using all XT8’s with WiFi backhaul as well.
No --- the default situation with XT8s is that client communication happens on 5GHz-1 (the lower 5GHz band, 36-48) while backhaul happens on 5GHz-2 (the upper 5GHz band, 149-161). At least in principle, this can sustain full 80MHz-channel throughput because the node can retransmit on the upper band simultaneously with talking to the client on the lower band. If you don't have a dedicated radio for backhaul, there's no way that you get full bandwidth from a wireless-backhaul situation.

No --- the default situation with XT8s is that client communication happens on 5GHz-1 (the lower 5GHz band, 36-48) while backhaul happens on 5GHz-2 (the upper 5GHz band, 149-161). At least in principle, this can sustain full 80MHz-channel throughput because the node can retransmit on the upper band simultaneously with talking to the client on the lower band. If you don't have a dedicated radio for backhaul, there's no way that you get full bandwidth from a wireless-backhaul situation.
That is true but that was not the question. I didn't think I needed to include that detail in my point. I was just saying that whether you are using a XT8 as the main router or using a RT-AX86U as the main router, if you are using Ethernet backhaul the XT8 node can use both 5 ghz radios for clients (that was his question) and if you are using wifi backhaul it will only use one 5 ghz radio for clients and then certainly if you are using the RT-AX86U as the main router rather than the XT8 your clarification would apply. If you are using Ethernet backhaul (which is what I do) you get full thruput from your XT8 node(s) because it can use both 5 ghz-1 and 2 for clients whether you are using an XT8 as the main router or a RT-AX86U as the main router (which is what I do). Hope that is clearer.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!