What's new

FreshJr Install Question - Which File?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScenicView

Occasional Visitor
I have a newbie question. I want to install FreshJR on my new AC3100 to give my Ooma a fighting chance when using Backblaze.

With the AC3100 running the Merlin Firmware I think I can run the fast version. I see there are two fast files:

freshjr_qos_f384-txt.12403
freshjr_qos_faketc_f384-txt.12374/

Which one of these files should I install? Are the latest files attached to the first release post?

If I understand it correctly, the compatible version waits 5 minutes after QOS is active to kick in and that could be a lifetime on a poor quality VOIP call.

I have a newbie question. I want to install FreshJR on my new AC3100 to give my Ooma a fighting chance when using Backblaze.

With the AC3100 running the Merlin Firmware I think I can run the fast version. I see there are two fast files:

freshjr_qos_f384-txt.12403
freshjr_qos_faketc_f384-txt.12374/

Which one of these files should I install? Are the latest files attached to the first release post?

If I understand it correctly, the compatible version waits 5 minutes after QOS is active to kick in and that could be a lifetime on a poor quality VOIP call.
The two fast files are on page 1 of the thread. The ones you listed are the ones for the fast setup. The other is the compatibility file. So yes the files you listed are the right ones. Fast requires both files f384 and f384 faketc.

The two fast files are on page 1 of the thread. The ones you listed are the ones for the fast setup. The other is the compatibility file. So yes the files you listed are the right ones. Fast requires both files f384 and f384 faketc.

Thanks! Just to make sure- I have to install both of them? Does the order matter?

Thanks! Just to make sure- I have to install both of them? Does the order matter?
Yes install both and no order to it. The firewall start script starts f384 and then f384 calls the f384 faketc script. The fast version requires the 2 files. The compatible version only needs the compatible file by itself.

One last question (famous last words). Any thoughts if I should install the fast version or the compatible version? My bufferbloat score right now is an F.

One last question (famous last words). Any thoughts if I should install the fast version or the compatible version? My bufferbloat score right now is an F.
Doesn't matter they do the same in the end. The compatible version just takes longer to update settings changes. It waits five minutes.

If your score is an F, your WebUI parameters are not correctly setup.

Please direct all your questions in the main thread next time.

--

Also, the first three posts (files + install instructions) in that thread were getting a large make over since the script was just updated today at the time of your post.
Maybe consider following the install instructions again.

--

The proper steps for an ideal QOS setup have also been explained in greater detail. Read over the 2nd post once again.

--

Also it's not a 5 minute wait per new connection.
It's **ONE** 5 minute wait only after QOS is initially enabled.

The 5 minute delay rarely happens, since QOS is a set it and forget it type of deal.

Last edited:
If your score is an F, your WebUI parameters are not correctly setup.

Please direct all your questions in the main thread next time.

--

Also, the first three posts (files + install instructions) in that thread were getting a large make over since the script was just updated today at the time of your post.
Maybe consider following the install instructions again.

--

The proper steps for an ideal QOS setup have also been explained in greater detail. Read over the 2nd post once again.

--

Also it's not a 5 minute wait per new connection.
It's **ONE** 5 minute wait only after QOS is initially enabled.

The 5 minute delay rarely happens, since QOS is a set it and forget it type of deal.

I installed the fast script and I still received an F. It wasn't until I power cycled the AC 3100 that qos statistics began to update so I knew things were working. Once it did though I was A, A, A+ across the board! What an improvement!!

Argh- I will install the updated script. Do I have to uninstall the two fast scripts first?

I installed the fast script and I still received an F. It wasn't until I power cycled the AC 3100 that qos statistics began to update so I knew things were working. Once it did though I was A, A, A+ across the board! What an improvement!!

Argh- I will install the updated script. Do I have to uninstall the two fast scripts first?

No. Simply upload the new files over the existing ones and click apply on QOS page so the new settings take effect over the old ones.

Both -install and -uninstall commands are unnecessary for incremental upgrades.

I will keep your bug report in mind. I bet it is a simple fix but I don't want to reset my router to factory defaults to find out what is causing it.

I will look into the big report next major RMerlin release as that will be the next time I am planning to reset my router.

In the interim period, I may just recommended an reboot in the install instructions (Which I fundamentally hate as an install requirement BTW)