What's new

Frustrated w/ 5ghz NT-66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tzuten

New Around Here
Ok.. My connection and signal strength is "excellent" about 40-50 feet in another bedroom. However the signal will often crawl to a halt, or I am not able to connect at all. I get connection timeouts. 2.4 works fine. And when I switch to 20mhz only on the 5G band it will work fine.

Do I have a defective unit? I'd like to get the benefits of going 40mhz. Should I return it? I'm on the 112 firmware.

Thanks.

Ok.. My connection and signal strength is "excellent" about 40-50 feet in another bedroom. However the signal will often crawl to a halt, or I am not able to connect at all. I get connection timeouts. 2.4 works fine. And when I switch to 20mhz only on the 5G band it will work fine.

Do I have a defective unit? I'd like to get the benefits of going 40mhz. Should I return it? I'm on the 112 firmware.

Thanks.

Just one thought, after you upgraded to the 112 firmware, did you clear the nvram before configuring it?

If not, I'd suggest clearing the nvram and then re-confguring the router settings manually:

To clear the nvram, first enable telnet login to your router:

Administration -> System -> Enable Telnet

Then telnet into your router at 192.168.1.1 as user "admin", using your router's "admin" user password.

Issue the following commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

Then re-enter your configuration when the router has rebooted, and see if this helps your problem.

Thanks.

I had a similar issue with a laptop and once I brought it into the same room with the router the throughput and performance dramatically improved. In my example the maximum wireless distance for 5 GHz using 40 MHz was about 15-20 feet through one wall.

Due to a shorter wave-length a 5 GHz signal will not travel as far and will be more affected by walls and surrounding objects. Increasing bandwidth from 20 to 40 MHz will often decrease reliability. 40-50 feet may be a little too far for what you want to do at 5 GHz / 40 MHz.

If you haven't all ready, you might want to download and install for free Inssider (google it) from metageek.net to get a more accurate reading on your wireless signals and close-by router signals that could be interfering with your link. You should also be able to "see it" when the link drops

Another thought: Have you tried changing channels and how is it when you try the 20/40 bandwidth setting? Still think it's the distance.

Thanks guys....

I had a Netgear 3700 and had no problem connecting with 5Ghz anywhere in the house. What bugs me is the signal shows excellent, but obviously not if I keep getting pauses... I bought the unit at Frys and can no doubt exchange it, but wanted to try to "fix" it before I went through the hassle...

I'm on a MAC and all my software is up to date, so the driver should be fine.

Just one thought, after you upgraded to the 112 firmware, did you clear the nvram before configuring it?

If not, I'd suggest clearing the nvram and then re-confguring the router settings manually:

To clear the nvram, first enable telnet login to your router:

Administration -> System -> Enable Telnet

Then telnet into your router at 192.168.1.1 as user "admin", using your router's "admin" user password.

Issue the following commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

Then re-enter your configuration when the router has rebooted, and see if this helps your problem.

No need for telnet as you can perform these and other commands from this page:

http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

Once at the page type:

mtd-erase -d nvram

Push the Enter key on keyboard and wait for confirmation in the lower portion that nvram was erased

Now type in reboot

Push Enter key and router will reboot

Which model Mac? Certain models had problematic Wifi clients. I'm not a big Mac guy but I've run into a few @ offices I work in and that had trouble connecting to various AP's running WPA/WPA2. I even had an issue with a frist gen Macbook Air. I recall reading in the Apple forums that there was an unresolved issue with the Air.

Just Google "macbook wifi problem". You'll see Apple's poop stinks just like everyon else's. They just do a beter job of burying it. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!