What's new

Galaxy tablet networking unstable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I have an RT-AC68P router and a Samjunk Galaxy Tab A tablet, and the wireless connection is unstable in some form or fashion only for the Galaxy. I can be browsing the web and suddenly the tablet seems to not be able to browse for a minute or two. No network error of any kind ever shows on the tablet. I just wait and it starts working for a short time.

Listening to a live audio stream in the browser is almost impossible, I guess because the stream is too unstable that it gives up and errors out after 5 seconds to 3 minutes.

Here are some examples of my experience:
I'm browsing in Chrome, some page takes forever to load (no UL/DL activity shown in the Wi-Fi arrows), shut down the browser, open Play store - only the search bar is shown because no content is downloaded for several seconds, then boom - everything downloads quickly.

Select Firefox browser in Play store, select Install, another long pause to start download, then boom it DLs fast. Open Firefox and nothing happens for ~30s, then boom stuff DLs.

Whenever there is a net pause, the Wi-Fi icon up/down arrows do not show activity, like it is waiting on something before responding.

Conclusion: There is some incompatibility with the Galaxy and my network, or the Galaxy is just junk.

The question is: Is there some setting on the router I need to change to make the 2.4GHz radio reliable for the Galaxy? I'm using channel 8 and 20MHz. My older cheap Android tablet doesn’t have any problem.

My Windows laptop and TV don't have this issue on the 2.4 band. I don't have any other networks close by that could cause interference. Disabling Wireless\Professional\Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming didn’t help. I even reset the OS but no change.

Could it be the SSID that you are using? Try a new/never before used 8 character SSID with no special characters, no smiley faces and no punctuation. Use a 16 character password with the same restrictions.

Also, try channel 1, 6 or 11, instead of 8 (which interferes with both 6 and 11). Make sure to reboot the router after each channel change.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!