What's new

goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cap the unused ports with 75 ohm terminator caps.
I forget what the freq range is for moca 1 & 1.1. That splitter also may only be one way. No harm in trying it as is though.

Cap the unused ports with 75 ohm terminator caps.
I forget what the freq range is for moca 1 & 1.1. That splitter also may only be one way. No harm in trying it as is though.
Unfortunately I don't have any terminator caps handy. Should I still try without?

Yes try without the caps. If it improves throughput though you should replace the splitter with a 2-way to reduce attenuation. Terminators do nothing to reduce attenuation.

I would not use that satellite combiner... we know that the 2-way splitters are working so far. The Satellite combiner is designed for different application of frequencies (for the LNBs) and therefore you are better off with what you have now. I have to think more about what could be the problem. To recap then, the whole-house PVR is working, TV is working, cable modem is working but MoCA 2.5 is still dropping intermittently yes?

I do see something that may be an issue. In your latest diagram, you have the Antronix splitter as 5-1002 MHz. From what I know, MOCA 2.5 functions in frequencies above 1100, so that splitter may be blocking some of your signal. Just a quick thought.

Both MoCA 1.1 and 2.5 work above 1Ghz, but the MoCA uses more bands (5). Yes, ideally he should be using MoCA 2.0 Antronix splitters but they are not required per standards, just need a good quality splitter to work.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the current configuration but disconnect the Cable Modem (but leave everything else on) to see if the problem with the MoCA 2.5 adapters goes away? Do you happen to know if your modem is DOCSIS 3.1 by any chance? DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems can interfere with MoCA 2.0 and 2.5 since they use a larger frequency range in the downstream.

To recap then, the whole-house PVR is working, TV is working, cable modem is working but MoCA 2.5 is still dropping intermittently yes?
Correct, whole-house PVR is working, TV is working, cable modem is working but MoCA 2.05 is still dropping intermittently.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the current configuration but disconnect the Cable Modem (but leave everything else on) to see if the problem with the MoCA 2.5 adapters goes away?
If I disconnect the Cable modem, I won't have internet. Are you suggesting to try that just to see if the adapters stay stable but don't actually allow me to go to the internet?

Do you happen to know if your modem is DOCSIS 3.1 by any chance? DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems can interfere with MoCA 2.0 and 2.5 since they use a larger frequency range in the downstream.
Here's what I could find on the modem:
staus.png

staus_moca.png

basicsettings_moca.png

According to the datasheet, it's a DOCSIS 3.1 modem but both transmit and receive frequencies are below MoCA, and the modem is designed to support MoCA 2.0 Bonded... So that's unlikely to be the issue...

One other suggestion, you will loose internet but just as a test. Disconnect the 4-port splitter from the incoming (CableCo) drop. So you are isolated from the street. See if that helps. You said you have an atttenuator at the point of entry (PoE), which I assume is because the signal from the street is too hot (high), and is needed for the modem. A hot signal could also interfere with MoCA, particularly 2.0 and above, in which case you might need a higher-value attenuator.

I managed to get my hands on a no-name 2-way 5-2500 MHz splitter and have replaced the previously installed Antronix 2-way splitter. Stability has yet to improve. I'll keep monitoring and report back if that changes.
I also picked up a few 75 ohm terminator caps in case needed in the future.

You said you have an atttenuator at the point of entry (PoE), which I assume is because the signal from the street is too hot (high), and is needed for the modem.
Regarding the 3db attenuator, it wasn't provided by my CableCo. I added it based on a recommendation received after observing high tanges in both the upstream and downstream signals on the modem.
What would be considered an acceptable signal level for MoCA 2.0?

I have not installed the moca filter before the modem and also have not disconnected the 4-port splitter from the incoming drop as yet. Those will be my next tests if needed.

IMG_20200323_143432.jpg

i believe the MOCA amps self modulate to an acceptable power. The moca 2.5 signal is not going through another amp is it ?

Can you get to the diagnostic pages and show us what the power dB level is ?
You'll need to get down to just the in house cable with only the moca modems first, if that is stable start adding back devices until the instability returns. if it has a fixed duration between events, it is likely an active device. If it is random, it may be a poor connector termination, shield ground, or a white noise source like a motor starter relay or similar.

I echo @degrub . Unplug everything, even the modem. Start with just the 2 MOCA adapters and check the transmission rate/stability. Then, one by one, add devices, checking transmission and stability, until you see which one is the issue. If you start off with instability, then it may be a cabling issue.

I recently received my adapters and now have them up and running. I have noticed that my connection is dropping randomly. I have tried to isolate the issue but am getting inconsistent results.

I'm not clear on a number of setting options in the MoCA adapters and need help to ensure I have them optimized (in case this could potentially be the issue). I have attached screenshots below with my current settings which are identical on both adapters. I also followed the instructions provided with the adapters (step 3 to connect cables, step 4 to log into management web, and step 6 to encrypt). Again, I did successfully get the adapters to work via short run - same room testing and then again over long run to desired locations. For whatever reason though, the connection is not stable.

The one setting I did change was LOF based on advise received from @Datalink in another forum.

View attachment 22047

View attachment 22048

View attachment 22049

View attachment 22050

View attachment 22051

First, the link rate of your device is not good. If you are using the default configuration, you should can get about 3500Mbps rate.
Please check the cable, splitter, make sure they are MoCA compatible.

Next, LOF is the RF frequency to which the MoCA interface was tuned when last operational. Normally, the devices in the same network will share the same LOF. No need to change them. Except you want to change the MoCA band. For example, you want to use D-band high now, not Ex-D band.

The Last, NC negotiation. NC is the network controller. Normally, the highest MoCA Version device in the network will be the Network Controller. By default, we should enable the negotiation, especially there are some old MoCA version devices in the same network.

Next, LOF is the RF frequency to which the MoCA interface was tuned when last operational. Normally, the devices in the same network will share the same LOF. No need to change them. Except you want to change the MoCA band. For example, you want to use D-band high now, not Ex-D band.
Given that I'd like to only use D-High band, what value should I set for LOF on both adapters?

The Last, NC negotiation. NC is the network controller. Normally, the highest MoCA Version device in the network will be the Network Controller. By default, we should enable the negotiation, especially there are some old MoCA version devices in the same network.
Should the NC be enabled for both devices or just one?

For Security settings, do I need to enable? If so, is D-ext only required? Even though I'm using D-high band only in MoCA Settings, I found that D-Ext was the only band needed for Security settings.

I echo @degrub . Unplug everything, even the modem. Start with just the 2 MOCA adapters and check the transmission rate/stability. Then, one by one, add devices, checking transmission and stability, until you see which one is the issue. If you start off with instability, then it may be a cabling issue.
I will give this a try at the next possible window. With the whole family stuck at home, they aren't to fond of my taking down both cable and internet. I'll report back once I've completed this test.

May have to be some late night testing after everyone is out in that case :) .

And i'll echo that some of the settings on these are not well explained/documented.

I will give this a try at the next possible window. With the whole family stuck at home, they aren't to fond of my taking down both cable and internet. I'll report back once I've completed this test.
I have completed a few preliminary tests and wanted to share these early results before going deeper. After connecting the adapters MoCA ports directly using the coax run from the basement to the second floor (no splitters in use), I noticed that the PHY Rates were still low. I decided to test with all bands enabled to see if there was any difference... and as you can see by the results below, the rates jumped to where they should be (I think). I then tried to go back to D-High only (via updating settings on both adapters, saving and then rebooting), but the second floor adapter has yet to connect. Is it possible that D-High alone is what's causing my instability and low rates?

Here are the results for my tests:
Note: all settings are duplicated on both adapters except where noted

These settings were constant across all my tests:
  • MoCA Settings:
    • Network Search enabled is checked
    • LOF = 1150
    • TX Power = 10
    • Beacon Power Level = 10
    • Preferred NC is checked for basement adapter only
  • Security Settings: (both adapters)
    • D-Ext Security enabled
    • D-High, D-Low disabled

Test 1: Adapters connected via basement -> second floor coax run using MoCA ports on both adapters (All bands enabled)
  • MoCA Settings:
    • All bands enabled
Device Status and PHY Rates:
  • Basement (aka Master) adapter
test 1 device status master.png
test 1 PHY master.png

• Second Floor (aka bedroom) adapter
test 1 device status bedroom.png
test 1 PHY bedroom.png

Test 2: Adapters connected via basement -> second floor coax run using MoCA ports on both adapters (D-High only)
  • MoCA Settings:
    • D-High enabled
    • D-Ext, D-Low disabled (unchecked)
  • second floor adapter still not connect so no results to share yet

Test 3: Adapters connected via basement -> second floor coax run using MoCA ports on both adapters (All bands enabled on basement adapter, D-High only on second floor adapter)

I decided to go back to all bands for the basement adapter to see if it would connect... and it did.
  • MoCA Settings:
    • Basement adapter: All bands enabled
    • Second floor adapter: D-High only
  • Basement (aka Master) adapter
test 3 devices status master.png
test 3 phy master.png

• Second Floor (aka bedroom) adapter
test 3 devices status bedroom.png
test 3 phy bedroom.png

Test 4: basement MoCA port -> second floor 2-way splitter -> second floor adapter MoCA port (All bands enabled on basement adapter, D-High only on second floor adapter)

After Test 3, I decided to introduce a splitter in the second floor only. I wasn't able to re-establish a connection. I then tried to fallback to Test 3 by removing the splitter but still can't re-establish the connection.

Is there a sequence of rebooting/power cycling the adapters required to establish a connection after a change has been made? I would have thought that restoring Test 3 would have yielded the same results...

I'm going to pause at this point and wait for feedback before I continue testing further. Thanks to the community in advance again for all your help thus far and sticking with me to see this through. Hopefully this will help others in the future as well.

A summary would be helpful. :)

Just following up to see if anyone has any advice or guidance to share about my posted results. Thanks
After you changed the MoCA band, normally you need to change the LOF at the same time. Then save and reboot.
We don't suggest to use different band in the same network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!