What's new

GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tubbs

New Around Here
Hey, so I've been having some internet issues for a while; The ISP has gone as far as to re-cabling my whole connection but it hasnt solved it.
I run the router they provide in modem mode connected to the GT-AX11000; Can someone tell from those logs if it can be the asus playing up?

Attachments

• bqm.JPG
    bqm.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 62
  • syslog.txt
    382.4 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to the forums @tubbs.

Is the issue the latency spikes? Could you give more info regarding how you're testing this?

Is it an actual problem during the use of the network? With which devices and how are they connected?

Are these spikes there if you take the GT-AX11000 out of the equation? If so, have you tried fully resetting the router and using as close to defaults as possible, testing (and rebooting the network) after each change in the options you choose?

Note that toggling some options on/off isn't the same as leaving the option off in the first place.

What are your ISP speeds? What type of ISP connection do you have? Any other details you can provide to allow us to hep further?

Ye, latency spikes/dropped connections. I'm testing it using BQM (broadband quality monitor) which pings my IP from outside.

All devices suffer the same way, most connected via cable.

I have not tried taking the GT-AX11000 out as the base router doesnt have enough ports :-/ So would need to purchase a different one to take the AX out.

I have fully re-set the router, I have not toggled options on-off as suggested.

My ISP is Virgin Media; i have gigabit broadband without fiber to home.

You have a cable-based ISP. I don't think you can expect much improvement on a shared line.

I'm testing it using BQM (broadband quality monitor) which pings my IP from outside.

All devices suffer the same way, most connected via cable.

I have not tried taking the GT-AX11000 out as the base router doesnt have enough ports :-/ So would need to purchase a different one to take the AX out.

If you're referring to the number of ethernet ports then you can buy any cheap gigabit ethernet 5-port switch or 8-port switch and connect that to the router and then connect other devices to the switch.

Then you can test whether the Virgin Media router still gets similar spikes on BQM compared to your Asus router.

Are you on Virgin Media Business or a regular Virgin Media retail consumer - and if on VMB then are you on a standard dynamic IP address package or on one of the static IP address packages, and if on a static IP is it a single static IP or a multiple static IP address package? (Those answers affect some of the possible troubleshooting options)

Note that if you're using a Virgin Media 'Hub' in modem-only mode, you can still log into the VM gui - but on IP address 192.168.100.1 instead of the router address. If the connection issues are somewhere between Virgin and the modem, then you should see a bunch of Uncorrectable error DOCSIS events in the Hub's log page, corresponding to the timing of the spikes in the BQM graph.

Fyi this is what a typical BQM looks like for my Virgin Media connection, on a 800Gbps package. (The increased latency around 7-9am is whilst downloading several GB of database backups from a work server - not a connection problem!)
My graph did look more like yours for a couple of weeks earlier this year during the UK heatwave when there were some local faults which VM eventually fixed.

1666809879742.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!