What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ah yeah. I switched to the other 5GHz band and it is linking at 2400 Mbit/s. Must be something going on with the channels on the upper 5ghz bands here.
160 MHz (2400 Mbps) require the use of DFS channels, which may not be available for you in the upper band.

OK so update - with gtaxe16000 speeds.
I enabled DUAL WAN and turned off all traffic analyzing options as well, including BW stats, website traffic etc, and I get close to max speeds (5gbit)download. Upload still losing a 1.5gbit (max im getting is 3.5gbit)
When I turn the traffic analyzers back on, any one of them independently or together, the max speed I can get is 2.6 gbit.
Seems strange it would kill that much BW??? Any other ideas as I do really like viewing the data usage on the network, website traffic, etc.

I've just heard back from Asus Tech Support regarding my crap download/upload wired speeds on 10Gbps broadband and this was what they said verbatim:

'Dear Valued Customer,

If you recently encounter limited speed acceleration, or unable to reach maximum connection speed, please try to disable the following features: AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Adaptive QoS, Game boost, Web & apps filters, bandwidth monitor, Mobile Game Mode to maintain the optimal internet speed.

Sincerely,
ASUS Team'

Seems to tally with what RMerlin (who iperf-tested the 10G interfaces of the router) said in another thread, it's a NAT/CPU limitation.
I also got this message from Asus support - apparently the 10G port doesn't actually support 10g??? wtf? See below.

"
Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.
My name is Carl Raniel S.. First and foremost, thank you for your patience while we completed our review and research of this issue. We apologize for the delay, and are grateful for the opportunity to continue to assist you.
Please be advise that the 10G WAN port for the router is currently only available for private network, it is not yet available for 10G connection from the ISP."

For what it's worth, after upgrading to Beta 1 and a WPS hard reset, I'm able to use the 2.5G WAN port now properly, free up the 10G ports for my LAN and get the expected up / down speeds for my 2.5G internet connection as expected both from within the router as well as from LAN connected devices. Previously this didn't work for me an I had to use the Dual WAN workaround. Very pleased.
Interesting. I'm Still on asus current firmware. What's strange is I think their speed test uses their internal traffic analyzer, which decreases soeeds exponentially. When I run speed tests through my router to my desktop NIC I get faster speeds than from my the Internal router speed test on game acceleration tab. I've tried multiple different servers. Something funky with the firmware or device.

Interesting. I'm Still on asus current firmware. What's strange is I think their speed test uses their internal traffic analyzer, which decreases soeeds exponentially. When I run speed tests through my router to my desktop NIC I get faster speeds than from my the Internal router speed test on game acceleration tab. I've tried multiple different servers. Something funky with the firmware or device.
Check out RMerlin's iperf tests on the 10G ports in this thread if you haven't yet.

Another thing I can think of is that the AXE16000 does not have a NAT Acceleration function in the LAN-Switch Control tab if I recall correctly. Enabling NAT Acceleration on the RT-AX89X allowed me to turn on AiProtection and still have close to 10Gbps broadband speeds from my ISP.

After reading that link it would seem transitioning to ipv6 would remove the NAT overhead contributing to the slower than expected results. My ISP gateway says it's 'available' when I log into it and of course the router supports it as does MS Windows.

I assume it's not as simple as flipping a switch to move over to ipv6 or everyone having the issue would've done so already.

That's an understatement.
I enabled IPv6 (Native) on my AX11000 with Comcast. At first, it did work, but over time I noticed an increase in brief disconnects across devices, the log was filling up with errors and DNS seemed sluggish.

All that went away when I turned it off

Is there any way to manually add an exception to the 2-way IPS blocking that AI Protection provides?

Thanks! Loaded the beta2 this morning no issues so far.

When I have AI Protection enabled 2way IPS is blocking connection to a mining pool I use with a CPU miner. Nothing shows up in protected events but it clearly is what blocks the miner. I disable it and it takes off and works again.

EDIT: I am a dum dum. All I had to do was encrypt the traffic and now it passes through without problems.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!