What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Joneffingvo, it seems like you've found the solution (or at least the workaround) for now.

Disable the Wired Backhaul option and enjoy the fastest speeds.
That's exactly what i'm doing, but if anyone else is experiencing the same problem know that there's a work around. Other than that this router has AMAZING reach and speed.

@Joneffingvo, it seems like you've found the solution (or at least the workaround) for now.

Disable the Wired Backhaul option and enjoy the fastest speeds.
Tried last night but unfortunately disabling the Wired Backhaul option didn't work for me.

Attachments

• Speedtests.PNG
    Speedtests.PNG
    146.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Backhaul disabled.PNG
    Backhaul disabled.PNG
    315.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
@shonj, what have you done to try to fix this issue?

If you've been toggling options on/off (blindly), I would suggest a full reset and even a reflashing of the firmware you're currently using too.

Further information about your network configuration would also be required to attempt to help you further.

Firmware versions, nodes and their versions, and how they're connected, and any customizations past defaults would be appreciated. Including the specifics of the physical layout of your home/areas that you are trying to cover. Not to mention your paid-for ISP speeds.

The images you've provided now don't mean too much without the above context.

@shonj, what have you done to try to fix this issue?

If you've been toggling options on/off (blindly), I would suggest a full reset and even a reflashing of the firmware you're currently using too.

Further information about your network configuration would also be required to attempt to help you further.

Firmware versions, nodes and their versions, and how they're connected, and any customizations past defaults would be appreciated. Including the specifics of the physical layout of your home/areas that you are trying to cover. Not to mention your paid-for ISP speeds.

The images you've provided now don't mean too much without the above context.
Tried Factory reset.
Tried changing the plugs.
Tried connecting directly to the router instead of switch.
Tried different ports (Wan and 10gig ports)
Made sure QoS is disabled.
Restarted ONT.
Disabled the Wired Backhaul option.

Firmware version for AXE16000 (3.0.0.4.386_49533)
The nodes are the GT-AXE11000 (3.0.0.4.386_47875) and GT-AX6000 (3.0.0.4.386_49273). The nodes are wired connections and placed in different levels of my house (basement, main level and second level)

I'm on Fios 1gig service. I was previously using a Linksys EA9500 as the main router with the other nodes and was getting 900-800 download and the same upload before swapping the router with the axe16000.

Last edited:
Tried Factory reset.
Tried changing the plugs.
Tried connecting directly to the router instead of switch.
Tried different ports
Made sure QoS is disabled.
Restarted ONT.
Disabled the Wired Backhaul option.

Firmware version for AXE16000 (3.0.0.4.386_49533)
The nodes are the GT-AXE11000 (3.0.0.4.386_47875) and GT-AX6000 (3.0.0.4.386_49273). The nodes are wired connections and placed in different levels of my house (basement, main level and second level)

I'm on Fios 1gig service. I was previously using a Linksys EA9500 as the main router with the other nodes and was getting 900-800 download and the same upload before swapping the router with the axe16000.
i have fios 1gig service on the lan port, the wan and the 2 10g ports will give me crap upload speeds. moved over to a lan port and i have my full upload again. i did not have this issue with my gt-ax11000 (non-E) , this issue baffled me, but apparently it has been around for a little while with no fix asides from using a lan port.

I have AT&T fiber 2000/2000. Gateway is the BGW320 and I'm using IP passthrough to the GT-AXE16000.

AT&T gateway is plugged into the 2.5Gb WAN port. My PC is plugged into the 10Gb LAN port. NIC is a trendnet 2.5Gb USB model plugged into a USB 3.0 hub.

Speedtest shows over 2300/2300. Latest firmware installed.

I have AT&T fiber 2000/2000. Gateway is the BGW320 and I'm using IP passthrough to the GT-AXE16000.

AT&T gateway is plugged into the 2.5Gb WAN port. My PC is plugged into the 10Gb LAN port. NIC is a trendnet 2.5Gb USB model plugged into a USB 3.0 hub.

Speedtest shows over 2300/2300. Latest firmware installed.
WOW am I jealous of those numbers! Awesome!

Thanks yah I'm pretty stoked with it too! Ended up putting my barely used GT-AX6000 up for sale on the FS forum.

I got two AXE16000s with one as the main router, another is the AiMesh node using 10G wired backhaul and an AXE11000 node with 2.5G wired backhaul. Strangely, in the web GUI’s Network Map tab, the 2.5G port link doesn’t show up in the Ethernet Ports activity table. I disconnected/reconnected the link from the 2.5G port to the AXE11000 and it still doesn’t appear in the table. Another issue is that I can’t seem to get Ookla-tested wired speeds of more than 2.6Gbps (upload/download) out of either of the 10G ports on the AXE16000 main and node. I tested the wired speeds with Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe adapters to the PC from two different manufacturers and got the same result. However, when I hooked up my 10Gbps broadband link directly to either adapter, wired speeds jumped to over 9.3Gbps. So there’s obviously a bottleneck at the AXE16000 preventing its 10G ports from outputting higher speeds. I’m wondering if its because of a lack of Jumbo Frames capability in the GUI’s LAN – Switch Control tab? Had no such issue with the RT-AX89X’s SFP+ or 10GBase-T ports with tested wired speeds of 8.8-9.3Gbps. As for wireless, download speeds (5G bands) are as good or slightly better than the RT-AX89X’s (+1Gbps range) with upload speeds in the 400-700Mbps range. In any case, have reported all these along with the relevant data logs to Asus Tech Support via the GUI’s feedback function. Hope there’s a firmware fix soon.

I got two AXE16000s with one as the main router, another is the AiMesh node using 10G wired backhaul and an AXE11000 node with 2.5G wired backhaul. Strangely, in the web GUI’s Network Map tab, the 2.5G port link doesn’t show up in the Ethernet Ports activity table. I disconnected/reconnected the link from the 2.5G port to the AXE11000 and it still doesn’t appear in the table. Another issue is that I can’t seem to get Ookla-tested wired speeds of more than 2.6Gbps (upload/download) out of either of the 10G ports on the AXE16000 main and node. I tested the wired speeds with Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe adapters to the PC from two different manufacturers and got the same result. However, when I hooked up my 10Gbps broadband link directly to either adapter, wired speeds jumped to over 9.3Gbps. So there’s obviously a bottleneck at the AXE16000 preventing its 10G ports from outputting higher speeds. I’m wondering if its because of a lack of Jumbo Frames capability in the GUI’s LAN – Switch Control tab? Had no such issue with the RT-AX89X’s SFP+ or 10GBase-T ports with tested wired speeds of 8.8-9.3Gbps. As for wireless, download speeds (5G bands) are as good or slightly better than the RT-AX89X’s (+1Gbps range) with upload speeds in the 400-700Mbps range. In any case, have reported all these along with the relevant data logs to Asus Tech Support via the GUI’s feedback function. Hope there’s a firmware fix soon.
Just adding on, it seems that AiProtection is the culprit. When I turn it off, wired Okla-tested speeds return to the 8.9-9.2Gbps range. Turn AiProtection on again and it drops to the 2.6Gbps range. The speed drop wasn’t this severe on the RT-AX89X with AiProtection turned on and I still could get 8-9.1Gbps wired speeds. Will report this to Asus Tech Support as well.

Another problem/bug to report, after a long period of time (im guessing 8+ hours) my second AXE16000 (node) will show as "disconnected" in the ASUS app, and if I try to access the "AiMesh" tab via router.asus.com the webpage just hangs and is unresponsive. Manually resetting the router(s) fixes it but only temporarily.

Tried last night but unfortunately disabling the Wired Backhaul option didn't work for me.
Didn't work for me either but its also spotty because sometimes I get full speeds at random and then when I do another speediest, its get bad again so idk what's going on

Currently in stock at Newegg. They have more than a dozen.

Currently in stock at Newegg. They have more than a dozen.

Just picked one up at the Dallas microcenter. They have one more in stock.

I am having this exact same problem. Cannot get above 2.6-7gbps despite using the 10g1 port. I also thought it was strange no jumbo frames on LAN SWITCH tab - maybe it reappears if you use the 2.5gbps or 1gbps ports as WAN? Either way - as usual, ASUS support had no idea, wanted me to fill a feedback form and now I'm waiting for them to tell me they will send me a new one which won't fix problem. Asus support is the worst - no one speaks English or has any idea about how to use their products.

There is definitely a bottleneck - Have you been able to figure this out yet?

Just adding on, it seems that AiProtection is the culprit. When I turn it off, wired Okla-tested speeds return to the 8.9-9.2Gbps range. Turn AiProtection on again and it drops to the 2.6Gbps range. The speed drop wasn’t this severe on the RT-AX89X with AiProtection turned on and I still could get 8-9.1Gbps wired speeds. Will report this to Asus Tech Support as well.
Tried turning off and on Protection - no change here.

Didn't work for me either but its also spotty because sometimes I get full speeds at random and then when I do another speediest, its get bad again so idk what's going on
Update on my issue with slow internet uploads. So I have the axe16000 and the 11000 I replaced it with. So what I did to get my seeds back I put the Internet connection to the 10g port and moved the 11000 wired through backhaul to the wan 1/2.5g port and now uploads are back to normal.. IDK those 1/2.5g port don't work well with my fits connection.. it was the same way with the 11000

Tried turning off and on Protection - no change here.
They pretty much did the same thing to me and also requested administrator access to my routers to check my settings and logs etc. Their standard operating procedure. And now we wait...

Also experiencing random disconnections for my devices ('Connected without internet' indicated) and a subsequent inability to reconnect to any of the 4 bands until I turn off/on the Wifi function on the devices a couple of times. And random times when there is simply no internet until a minute or two later. Turning off both AiMesh nodes fixed the first issue for now. From previous experience with my two AXE11000s, the devices tend to have an issue disconnecting/reconnecting as I move from one router to the next in AiMesh. I had to fiddle around with Roaming Assistant in the web GUI to get my devices to switch to the nearest router instead of hanging on to a crappy signal from the original point, sometimes with mixed results. -67dBm used to work for the AXE11000s but I suspect with the Rangeboost feature on the AXE16000s, that value ain't gonna cut it. More tinkering or perhaps one less AXE16000 needed in the home.

Update on my issue with slow internet uploads. So I have the axe16000 and the 11000 I replaced it with. So what I did to get my seeds back I put the Internet connection to the 10g port and moved the 11000 wired through backhaul to the wan 1/2.5g port and now uploads are back to normal.. IDK those 1/2.5g port don't work well with my fits connection.. it was the same way with the 11000
I'll have to give that a shot. I'm at my whits end on my second copy of this router and I've tried so many things between like a dozen emails and calls between the two copies of this router I've had with zero success.
For context, I have gigabit fios and my old router (AX88U) didn't cover my entire property so I decided to make it a node on a mesh system with this new AXE-16000 as the primary. Speeds with the prior setup with just the AX88U were about at least 500 up and down, and connected with my PC directly to the modem with ethernet cable I get the same fast down and up speeds. Currently wired or wireless through the AXE-16000 or AX88U node I'm getting less than 1 Mbps upload

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!