What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I couldn't get more than 2.6Gbps wired ul/dl speeds on Ookla out of either of the 10G ports unless I turned off the AiProtection suite. Returned both units as my older RT-AX89X could give me close to 10Gbps wired speeds with threat protection enabled so I stuck with it.
Huh, that's strange... I'm surprised that an older, cheaper Asus router performs better than a newer, more expensive model. I wonder if the issues are hardware-related, or if they could potentially be software issues.

RMerlin tested the 10G interfaces of the AXE16000 via iperf
Is there a thread with similar testing with the RT-AX89X?

Huh, that's strange... I'm surprised that an older, cheaper Asus router performs better than a newer, more expensive model. I wonder if the issues are hardware-related, or if they could potentially be software issues.

Is there a thread with similar testing with the RT-AX89X?
It's apparently both CPU and software related. Asus is working with MicroTrend to find workaround on the software/routing side.

You could check this out. Dong Ngo tested Sonic with both the RT-AX89X and AXE16000.

I don't think he actually reviewed the speed of the AXE16000 though, as it was released after he wrote the article :(

Did they use a less powerful CPU on a newer model?
The RT-AX89X has a quad-core Qualcomm IPQ8074 2.2 GHz CPU while the AXE16000 has the newer quad-core Broadcom BCM4912 2.0Ghz CPU. I suppose they went back to Broadcom as there were a ton of issues with the RT-AX89X when it was first released. It took multiple firmware updates and at least four hardware revisions before it was finally stable enough for long-term use.

He did. 10G ports with NAS performance though.

The NAS performance is when using the router itself as a NAS, via its USB port. It's a combination measurement of network and USB bandwidth, but mainly USB bandwidth, and doesn't really measure network performance directly.

As a side note, I wish reviews that include internet speed tests would show separate numbers for IPv4 and IPv6. Numbers can vary quite a bit as IPv6 doesn't use NAT, which is one of the main causes of reduced performance on routers. Most major services support IPv6.

The NAS performance is when using the router itself as a NAS, via its USB port. It's a combination measurement of network and USB bandwidth, but mainly USB bandwidth, and doesn't really measure network performance directly.

As a side note, I wish reviews that include internet speed tests would show separate numbers for IPv4 and IPv6. Numbers can vary quite a bit as IPv6 doesn't use NAT, which is one of the main causes of reduced performance on routers. Most major services support IPv6.
If you've looked at Mikrotik, maybe you can consider DrayTek too. About a 100-140 bucks more than the AXE16000 on Newegg and Amazon but hella more power...as in enterprise-class specs.

Recently bought the AXE-16000 to replace my Asus RT-AX88U. So far it's been a world of hurt.

1. No matter what I try, I cannot get Wi-fi 6E working. My laptop which has a compatible card (Intel 210NGW) No matter the options I select it refuses to show in the Wi-fi list. I'm in Canada and we're fully supporting 6E since last year so it shouldn't be a question of restrictions. I've tried old drivers, new drivers, Intel drivers, Killer drivers, nothing works. Running on Windows 11 2h22.

2. Second issue, port forwarding seems to be completely broken. I have another computer which has an IIS server running on it. When I setup my AXE-16000 exactly the same way it was configured on my AX88U. It refuses to communicate with it. I use a DDNS with a port that is called to direct the traffic to the IIS web server. The next part of the issue is out of the blue, my cable Internet will just stop allowing me to view websites. I need to disable the port forwarding for it to return. I've tried both Merlin latest firmware and the stock latest firmware. Same issues on both.

The server machine is plugged in with 1GB (tried 10gb as well) no change.
Very underwhelming for what I paid for this router.

Has anyone else had the same issue, or found solutions?

Last edited:
Recently bought the AXE-16000 to replace my Asus RT-AX88U. So far it's been a world of hurt.

1. No matter what I try, I cannot get Wi-fi 6E working. My laptop which has a compatible card (Intel 210NGW) No matter the options I select it refuses to show in the Wi-fi list. I'm in Canada and we're fully supporting 6E since last year so it shouldn't be a question of restrictions. I've tried old drivers, new drivers, Intel drivers, Killer drivers, nothing works. Running on Windows 11 2h22.

2. Second issue, port forwarding seems to be completely broken. I have another computer which has an IIS server running on it. When I setup my AXE-16000 exactly the same way it was configured on my AX88U. It refuses to communicate with it. I use a DDNS with a port that is called to direct the traffic to the IIS web server. The next part of the issue is out of the blue, my cable Internet will just stop allowing me to view websites. I need to disable the port forwarding for it to return. I've tried both Merlin latest firmware and the stock latest firmware. Same issues on both.

The server machine is plugged in with 1GB (tried 10gb as well) no change.
Very underwhelming for what I paid for this router.

Has anyone else had the same issue, or found solutions?
Hi TitaniumNX, I am very novice with these things and I don't use wifi 6 yet even ( i am mainly using ethernet that's why) so i apologize if this is wrong or not helpful, - however, i am wondering if it's possible to FORCE ur device to use wifi 6? I hear that something like could be possible by doing this on the router: enabling 160 MHz on channel 36? so, Just select 160mhz only instead of 20/40/80/160 and also select channel 36. so something like in the attached photo but I have an ax86u

Attachments

• sc31.png
    sc31.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 77
Hi TitaniumNX, I am very novice with these things and I don't use wifi 6 yet even ( i am mainly using ethernet that's why) so i apologize if this is wrong or not helpful, - however, i am wondering if it's possible to FORCE ur device to use wifi 6? I hear that something like could be possible by doing this on the router: enabling 160 MHz on channel 36? so, Just select 160mhz only instead of 20/40/80/160 and also select channel 36. so something like in the attached photo but I have an ax86u
The broadcast coming from the router is defined as 6Ghz which is Wi-fi 6E (shown in the screenshot I've attached) This should then be broadcasted out so the laptop so it can see it in the SSID list. Not many other options and wouldn't matter on the channel or bandwidth. On the network card of the machine, there are two options that matter. Ultra high band (shown in the screenshots posted and the channel width which should be auto.

Attachments

• routrer.jpg
    routrer.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 93
  • 6b.jpg
    6b.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 91
wifi 6Ghz works for me, but if i switch the client to 5Ghz then, when i try to go back, 6e is not visible anymore unless i reboot router. not sure if problem is my ax210 client or the router. probably the client.

Last edited:
I experienced a very slow upload (<5mb/s) with Fios giga. I found an awkward workaround in a blog.. - using dual wan and the lan port instead of the 2.5g or 10g. It worked for me... I also found that Fios has an issue with TCP-IPv6 Checksum Offload that kills upload speed on intel adapters.

I didn't have this problem with my old ac5300. Any elegant solution to this problem on axe16000?

Last edited:
Anyone noticed the 6GHz signal is pretty weak for this router? I lose signal on 2nd floor. It seems I'm limited on where I can use it.

Anyone noticed the 6GHz signal is pretty weak for this router?
As compared to what? If you are comparing it to 5 GHz, then this is normal, just like 5 GHz will have weaker penetration than 2.4 GHz.

I appreciate the response @RMerlin. I guess this is normal when comparing signal strength to 2.4/5ghz since I’ve never had issues with disconnects around the house. The 5ghz even reaches outside.

Like I said, with 6ghz, its limited to how far the signal can reach (which is not much).

Thanks for the info.

I appreciate the response @RMerlin. I guess this is normal when comparing signal strength to 2.4/5ghz since I’ve never had issues with disconnects around the house. The 5ghz even reaches outside.

Like I said, with 6ghz, its limited to how far the signal can reach (which is not much).

Thanks for the info.

I noticed, for me personally, that running my 6ghz band on the lowest channel (channel 5, thus lower frequency) helps get a bit more penetration through the plaster and lath walls in my home. Where as some of the higher channels are about unusable in my home.

Anyone try AP mode? I really just wanted this thing for the multigig ports and better wifi. Don't need it to do any routing and in fact have to use another router which unfortunately, does not have a usable bridge mode. The solution would be to use AP mode which in this case does not work with my EdgeRouter 4. Only 2 of my 30+ wireless clients are able to connect to the Internet when the GT-AX16000 is in AP mode connected to the EdgeRouter. All the clients can see each other and the rest of my network, just not the Internet. The devices on the switch are able to access the Internet and all devices including the wireless ones can ping by name or IP to Internet addresses. This setup worked fine on my last two Asus routers as one would expect, but not on this one or an AX5400 I tried earlier.

I broke down and tried double NATing with the GT16000 but I can't get my Plex server to be visible on the Internet even with port forwarding on both routers, so I am back to wanting AP mode to work but it just doesn't seem to want to do so. Does anyone know how to get AP mode to work correctly. Asus tech support sure doesn't seem to know.

I solved similar issues on my Asus XT12 by disabling Dos protection under firewall settings. Seems to be something broken in the firmware regarding port forwarding and Dos protection.

Does this model support Wireguard clients + vpn director + killswitch + merlinfw?
Thinking about upgrading my GT-AX11000.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!