What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Availability & Prices
The expected non-binding recommended prices and availability for Germany, Austria and Switzerland are as follows:
  • ROG Rapture GT-BE98: 799 EUR – Available in the first half of the year
  • ExpertWiFi EBR63: 149 EUR – Available in the first half of the year
  • ExpertWiFi EBM68: 599 (2pk) EUR – Available in the first half of the year
  • ExpertWiFi EBA63: 129 EUR – Available in the first half of the year
  • ZenWiFi Hybrid XC5: 159/299 (2pk) EUR – Available in the first half of the year

GT-BE98 with RMerlin gives me that "special" feeling, and my only prohibitive issue would be cost.
Absolutely zero issues with current setup, yet the evilness in my wicked heart demands I desire that GT-BE98! But only if it gets RMerlin FW ;)
Yeah it's going to absolutely need Merlin support for me to purchase. As soon as I realized the AXE16000 had Merlin support I was all over it. Mmmm

Praying that something like this finally has a CPU that is worth upgrading from the AX88U for.
Probably not - at least from Broadcom and not anything ARM-based really. They're very capable chips but once you begin turning on features like QoS or any kind of packet inspection, firewalls etc etc, you will really bog the CPU down and your throughput will take a massive hit. I think the only real way to get around that problem is to spend *a lot* of money on an enterprise grade router or build your own Pfsense box with a beefy CPU.

Yeah it's going to absolutely need Merlin support for me to purchase. As soon as I realized the AXE16000 had Merlin support I was all over it. Mmmm

Probably not - at least from Broadcom and not anything ARM-based really. They're very capable chips but once you begin turning on features like QoS or any kind of packet inspection, firewalls etc etc, you will really bog the CPU down and your throughput will take a massive hit. I think the only real way to get around that problem is to spend *a lot* of money on an enterprise grade router or build your own Pfsense box with a beefy CPU.
I wish they had USB4/Thunder bolt modules that you plug-in and have 10 port 1gig, 2.5gig and 10gig. wifi. That would be cool.

Surprised at the pricing of WiFi 7 routers, the Netgear and a few others are looking at $700.
Nothing surprising there. Beside the fact this is the latest technology (so it carries a premium for that), Wifi 7 also requires three wifi SoCs to handle 2.4/5/6 GHz bands, which increases costs.

I'll probably go for the tri-band BE96. Most of my devices are still WiFi 6 and use the 160Mhz DFS channels on the 5Ghz band. My experience with the quad-band AXE16000s (which I returned) saw those same devices frequently and randomly disconnect and reconnect as they switched back and forth between DFS and non-DFS channels due to the 5Ghz band being split into upper and lower bands on separate antennae.

Surprised at the pricing of WiFi 7 routers, the Netgear and a few others are looking at $700.
Also, surprised for the power consumption, at lease the flagship wifi 7 routers that comes with a 60W (19V/3.16A) power adapter.
Seems not good for your electric bill.

Also, surprised for the power consumption, at lease the flagship wifi 7 routers that comes with a 60W (19V/3.16A) power adapter.
That`s nothing new, three-band routers from Asus already ship with a 65W AC adapter. I suspect it could be in part because they are standardizing them on laptop AC adapters, so it reduces the cost thanks to the higher volume of these adapters that they buy, versus having to source a separate unique SKU for the router. I vaguely remember someone checking one of these routers with a Kill-a-Watt, and it wasn't using anything near 65W.

Like the new 8K TVs because of the new EU Law to reduce Watt otherwise it wouldnt make into the EU Market (reduced power consumation) :cool:

@RMerlin When you talk to ASUS next time, could you maybe ask them to make a pretty Wifi 7 router, please? Something flat, white that you can hide behind a curtain or mount on the ceiling. Not every Asus customer plays LoL 24/7, some of us have wives too. Mine is allergic to 27 antennas and RGB LEDs.

Last edited:
@merlin_user123 When you talk to ASUS next time, could you ask them to make a pretty Wifi 7 router, please? Something flat, white that you can hide behind a curtain or mount on the ceiling. Not every Asus customer plays LoL 24/7, some of us have wives too. Mine is allergic to 27 antennas and RGB leds.
Ask them to make one that looks like a sconce so the ladies can set their collectibles on it allowing it to blend in with the decor.

Personally I'd like a unit that has a base and detached antennas that I can wall mount away from everything or maybe turn my house wiring into the antenna array.

FCC made it mandatory for antennas to be non-removable with Wifi 6e, so pretty sure that will carry forward to Wifi 7.
Is there reason for that? Maybe higher gain antenna? Better Signal integrity?

Is there reason for that? Maybe higher gain antenna? Better Signal integrity?
Because if you connect a high gain antenna, you should lower the signal power to stay within maximum output power limits as set be the FCC.
But noone does that, so then the next best option is to just make antenna's non-removable.

It is also the reason why many firmware's and hardware now has extra protection embedded to prevent users from manually increasing the radio output power.
In the past, you could find hacks which would fix radio output power a 100, 250 or even 1000 mW.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!