What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unless you're in close proximity to the access point
I believe that's where MultiLink Operation (MLO) is supposed to fix the range issue in theory. Wifi 7 clients connect to the AP/router on all three bands simultaneously (2.4Ghz/5Ghz/6Ghz) and switch among them automatically, depending on where the client is in relation to the AP. Kinda like an improved version of Intel's DoubleConnect Technology. Most of my devices are Wifi 6 so I'm cautiously looking forward to the upgrade after skipping over Wifi 6E.

Most clients today have yet to take full advantage of WIFI 6 for the matter

With a little more aggressive marketing home users with less knowledge and more money will buy Wi-Fi 7 routers with zero Wi-Fi 7 clients available. Look around - folks are spending more money for Wi-Fi 6E routers with future proofing ideas. May get a phone with 6E support... who knows? ;)

It is going to be missing the same thing Wi-Fi 6 is missing - clients.

The Asus store on Amazon has a listing up for the RT-BE96U. The price is astronomically high at $700. I'll certainly pass on this unit until the prices for WiFi 7 routers come down.

1681486828790.png

With a little more aggressive marketing home users with less knowledge and more money will buy Wi-Fi 7 routers with zero Wi-Fi 7 clients available. Look around - folks are spending more money for Wi-Fi 6E routers with future proofing ideas. May get a phone with 6E support... who knows? ;)
If you're buying wifi gear now with the expectation of keeping it a few years, it's entirely reasonable to buy 6E ... but I agree that WiFi 7 clients are going to be thin on the ground for quite some time yet. I think that the new 6GHz spectrum available with 6E can be a game-changer (especially if you live in a densely wifi-ed area), while it's not clear to me that any of the other stuff in WiFi 7 is going to offer more than incremental improvements.

it's entirely reasonable to buy 6E

I believe 6E is going to be skipped. It's an intermediate step to Wi-Fi 7. Once Wi-Fi 7 is out no one is going to make 6E clients.

can be a game-changer

I don't think so. Wi-Fi 6 on 80MHz can do about 850Mbps now. I have a condo with 30+ networks around and still can do 500Mbps on Wi-Fi 5. For most clients you can't really tell the difference between Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6. If one needs high performance guaranteed client - nothing beats the wire.

I believe 6E is going to be skipped. It's an intermediate step to Wi-Fi 7. Once Wi-Fi 7 is out no one is going to make 6E clients.

Everything is a step on the road. My guess is that 6E is a major step and 7 less so. You're right that manufacturers will soon transition to making 7 gear over 6E, but that doesn't mean that 7 is a huge improvement over 6E, nor that 6E isn't a huge improvement over 6.

I don't think so. Wi-Fi 6 on 80MHz can do about 850Mbps now. I have a condo with 30+ networks around and still can do 500Mbps on Wi-Fi 5. For most clients you can't really tell the difference between Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6.

That's not really addressing my point, or maybe it's confirming it, because WiFi 6 added no new spectrum. (Where did you find a condo where you could only see 30 SSIDs? In my not especially dense single-family-homes urban neighborhood, I can see 50-100 depending on where I am in the house, and the usable bandwidth for wifi connections gyrates wildly. From where I sit, low-power 6GHz is the only likely solution to the wifi tragedy of the commons.)

If one needs high performance guaranteed client - nothing beats the wire.

Can't argue with that.

WiFi 7 clients are going to be thin on the ground for quite some time yet
Xiaomi's 13-Series smartphones are Wifi 7-ready and are already out in the global market place for sale.

The interesting thing is they'll receive an OTA update that'll enable their Wifi 7 features once the standard has been certified.

The PRC electronics maker also threw in a Wifi 7 router with 10G ports for good measure to support their Wifi 7-ready devices.

Now why couldn't Samsung have done the same OTA update thing with its Galaxy S23 series which has the same Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset? I was looking to get the Galaxy S23 Ultra but decided against it after finding out it would only support Wifi 6E.

The Asus store on Amazon has a listing up for the RT-BE96U. The price is astronomically high at $700. I'll certainly pass on this unit until the prices for WiFi 7 routers come down.

View attachment 49315
Hope the 2.6Ghz Quad Core CPU'll provide better 10G wired speeds than the disappointing GT-AXE16000 and the venerable RT-AX89X.

If not, I'll probably go down the OpenWRT route with this mini PC that has 2 X SFP+ ports and 3 X 2.5G ports and just add the RT-BE96U as an AP:

Xiaomi's 13-Series smartphones are Wifi 7-ready and are already out in the global market place for sale.

The interesting thing is they'll receive an OTA update that'll enable their Wifi 7 features once the standard has been certified.

The PRC electronics maker also threw in a Wifi 7 router with 10G ports for good measure to support their Wifi 7-ready devices.

Now why couldn't Samsung have done the same OTA update thing with its Galaxy S23 series which has the same Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset? I was looking to get the Galaxy S23 Ultra but decided against it after finding out it would only support Wifi 6E.

Its all marketing hype to get people to open their wallets and spend money; companies would loose money if everyone kept what they had. Those corporate executives need to fund the yachts, property portfolios, and opulent lives.

There is a difference between sales brochure numbers and real world need / application. Personally, I’m going to skip the $700+ WIFI 7 router and wait 2-3 years to assess feedback from all those who took the plunge.

Sure, no name manufacturers are coming out with alleged WiFi 7 clients and “10 gig ports” but it’s best to assess what the bigger names are doing. Apple is just introducing 6E in their new top end MacBook Pros and analysts say WIFI 7 looks to be 2025 best case. Some of you may be anti Apple but they do years of testing and only release it when it’s near perfect through regression testing. Their products outlast most: My 2015 Macbook Pro will still give many 2023 PCs a run for their money and Apple will support the software another 2 years.

The fact Asus is still releasing new WIFI 6 routers as we speak should also tell you a lot. E.G. they are planning for the standard to be in operation for many years yet.

The biggest reason why I’m not sprinting to WIFI 7 is the back end infrastructure (once the trons leave your home) is still going to be the bottle neck and in real life, 100BaseT speed surfices for casual every day uses and 1000BaseT is more than enough for large households and power users. 4K video streaming is not even universal yet from a number of channels perspective. Heck, many large office buildings still have 100BaseT to the desk, 1000BaseT between floors. There is no real world need for 10Gig unless it’s for a commercial data center or physics bases scientific application.

If buying the new shiny object makes you feel better then so be it. Saving the money for my next BMW or vacation means more to me. The pending inevitable recession is also going to put a damper in all the tech hype.

no name manufacturers are coming out with alleged WiFi 7 clients and “10 gig ports”
Sure, I do get where you're coming from in some aspects. Xiaomi may not a brand name in the US, but it does have a decent reputation in Europe and Asia for putting out quality electronic appliances that don't break the bank and fit neatly into an ecosystem, similar to what Apple has albeit on a much wider scale. The smartphone and router are just the tip of the iceberg as you can also use them to program household appliances such as the robot vacuum cleaner, AC units, refrigerator, washing machine, smart TVs, switches, lights, soap dispensers etc. They're also not new to wireless networking and have been selling routers since the Wifi 5 days. You can find them at Walmart too of all places...
Their products outlast most: My 2015 Macbook Pro will still give many 2023 PCs a run for their money and Apple will support the software another 2 years.
Yup I do agree that Apple's software support and performance vs Windows PCs can't be beat. Outlast...maybe not. I bought the final generation of Intel MacBook Airs in 2019 and yes, it's still getting software updates but the battery started crapping out on me shortly after the warranty period, and it seems to be getting progressively laggier with each software update. I had the same thing happen with my previous two iPad Minis which eventually stopped turning on for no good reason. Apple practically wrote the book on planned obsolescence and unfortunately, the rest of the industry followed suit.
That said, I'll still be getting a new MacBook Air or Pro when they decide to move to Wifi 7 simply for the reason stated in the first sentence.

There is no real world need for 10Gig unless it’s for a commercial data center or physics bases scientific application.
That statement, as per my previous reply to you, I still agree on. I do have my reasons for subscribing to 10Gb fiber broadband namely convenience and minimized downtime. As mentioned in previous posts elsewhere, my current ISP provides 10Gb broadband via an active optical network with no modem/ONT needed between the fiber termination point and my router. Maybe it's plain bad luck, but I've had two ONTs from my previous ISP die on me during the Covid-19 lockdown, so not having those as points of failure means having one less thing to worry about when I'm working from home.
Saving the money for my next BMW or vacation means more to me. The pending inevitable recession is also going to put a damper in all the tech hype.
Sadly, saving up for and owning a BMW would put too big a dent in the wallet where I live to allow me to remain on track for retirement.

So in comparison, the price of a monthly subscription to 10Gb fiber broadband is 'peanuts' particularly as the authorities are actively pushing for 10Gb ethernet in more households across the country.

Another factor I'd neglected to mention before is that my trusty RT-AX89X that I've been using for over 2-3 years plus is starting to act up, with disconnects and reboots becoming increasingly frequent. Hence I think it couldn't be a better time to switch to a Wifi 7 router. Even at these prices, it'll still be cheaper than buying a Beemer here.

Mentioned to you before that prices for 10Gb networking gear have been steadily rising due to the chip shortage and now worldwide inflation. So dampening the tech hype would be a good thing IMHO, particularly for enthusiasts, kinda like how the whole crypto crash put spiralling prices on Nvidia and AMD GPUs back on the road to normalcy.

Of course we're all entitled to our own opinions and outlooks to life. Your decision to stay out of the Wifi 7 race till things settle down and Apple adopts the standard is as valid as mine.

bought the final generation of Intel MacBook Airs in 2019 and yes, it's still getting software updates but the battery started crapping out on me shortly after the warranty period, and it seems to be getting progressively laggier with each software update. I had the same thing happen with my previous two iPad Minis which eventually stopped turning on for no good reason. Apple practically wrote the book on planned obsolescence and unfortunately, the rest of the industry followed suit.

I don’t have experience with Airs but can say MacBook Pros cannot be beat. My 8 year old 2015 still runs quick and apple is still providing OS updates for next two years. The battery does not last as long (maybe 4 hours now) but still works and I could replace with $100 part if I was motivated.

All computers needs a OS refresh and tuneup now and then. I’ve clean wiped my MacBook Pro once with a OS update and regularly get rid of the bloat ware to keep it running in tip top shape.

My wife had a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 and that beast will be purring a long time. It chews through 4K video editing and Adobe Pro exports in record times.

So in comparison, the price of a monthly subscription to 10Gb fiber broadband is 'peanuts' particularly as the authorities are actively pushing for 10Gb ethernet in more households across the country.
Authorities also push immature technology like EV cars yet only 1 in 5 households would ever consider them. Just like EVs, the infrastructure for 10 Gig to every home is probably 15-20 years away from being practical. Many homes in the US are still on DSL. Some have to use Elon Musk’s star link as there are no ISP providers.

I don't intend to interrupt this stimulating fork of the original thread title, but do any of you knowledgeable persons have a reliable release date of the GT-BE98 for North American distribution?

I don’t have experience with Airs but can say MacBook Pros cannot be beat. My 8 year old 2015 still runs quick and apple is still providing OS updates for next two years. The battery does not last as long (maybe 4 hours now) but still works and I could replace with $100 part if I was motivated.

All computers needs a OS refresh and tuneup now and then. I’ve clean wiped my MacBook Pro once with a OS update and regularly get rid of the bloat ware to keep it running in tip top shape.

My wife had a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 and that beast will be purring a long time. It chews through 4K video editing and Adobe Pro exports in record times.
Sounds compelling. I'll probably shell out a little more to buy the (M3/4) MacBook Pros when they get Wifi 7 then.

Authorities also push immature technology like EV cars yet only 1 in 5 households would ever consider them. Just like EVs, the infrastructure for 10 Gig to every home is probably 15-20 years away from being practical. Many homes in the US are still on DSL. Some have to use Elon Musk’s star link as there are no ISP providers.
I didn't disagree with what you've said. Mentioned previously that they tried to roll out 10Gb to the home back in 2016 and got a dismal take-up rate as of end-2022, hence we'll see if history repeats itself. Last week, I was talking to a network engineer at one of the other ISPs offering the service from this year and he told me they were doing it on a trial/pilot basis till June 2023 to gauge customer demand.

I don't intend to interrupt this stimulating fork of the original thread title, but do any of you knowledgeable persons have a reliable release date of the GT-BE98 for North American distribution?
Sorry misread your post and gave you the ETA for the RT-BE96U. I'm pretty sure they had the tech specs page for the GT-BE98 up a month or two ago and they pulled it for some reason. As stated above, I'm guessing it has to do with a spec bump. They'd probably want to give the RT-BE96U some time to settle in before foisting the GT-BE98U on us. The GT-AXE16000 launched around May 2022 similar to the RT-BE96U's ETA so 3Q23 September's my guess...

That brief moment of thread silence was enjoyable.
I was just doing my part to get this thread back on topic, so I don't get notices regarding this thread that don't truly pertain to the router GT-BE98.
I just stopped watching this thread, and wait for information regarding the GT-BE98.

For those of us concerned about a lack of Wifi 7 clients to go with the ROG GT-BE98, Asus just launched the ROG Phone 7 and ROG Phone 7 Ultimate, both which appropriately support the Wifi 7 standard.

Tech specs for the Ultimate listed here:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!