What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The blue light can be turned off. The idea is someone is already offering unobstructive and bendable. One of the reasons Ubiquiti has a large fan base - you can customize the setup and make it your own. Attention to details is important. When you pay $700 for the latest and greatest and you see this below makes you wonder was your choice a good one.

1672790438100.png

The blue light can be turned off. The idea is someone is already offering unobstructive and bendable. One of the reasons Ubiquiti has a large fan base - you can customize the setup and make it your own. Attention to details is important. When you pay $700 for the latest and greatest and you see this below makes you wonder was your choice a good one.

View attachment 46901

Camo wallpaper is a thing now? Not seen that anywhere.

The biggest thing besides clients is the physical port speed being the bottleneck even at 10ge you're at 25% of the potential bandwidth
Agreed. Like on the AXE16000 where I was only able to get about 2.6Gbps wired upload/download speeds with AiProtection turned on vs 8.9-9.1Gbps on the RT-AX89X with the same features enabled.

Clients-wise, MediaTek also made an announcement relating to this at CES and got PC makers such as Lenovo and Asus on board with its new Wifi 7 chip.

Last month, Xiaomi also launched its first Wifi 7-equipped flagship phone and a 10G router to use the new wireless standard with.

Agreed. Like on the AXE16000 where I was only able to get about 2.6Gbps wired upload/download speeds with AiProtection turned on vs 8.9-9.1Gbps on the RT-AX89X with the same features enabled.
Additionally, with more powerful specs of a Quad-core 2.6GHz CPU, 256MB Flash, 2GB DDR4 RAM for both new routers, hopefully port speeds won't be throttled like in the AXE16000.

physical port speed being the bottleneck even at 10ge you're at 25% of the potential bandwidth
Could you help the ignorant and explain the math? What interface has 40Gbps capability? These are theoretical numbers you are talking about? Is this to take advantage of consumer ISP service or LAN disk-to-disk?

@Justinh

BE has a max capacity of 40gbps
AX single 2x2 client hits 1.5gbps / BE single client should hit 3-5gbps

So, if you have 2 wifi clients maxing their potential then you're going to drop their rates when wired clients take precedence over wifi for traffic priority unless you specifically make wifi a priority over wired.

1672881444745.png

Looking at the bandwidth settings at 80/160/240/320mhz you can see the scale of clients total bandwidth being shared per allocation. Assuming 80mhz / 10gbps which the router will do you're limiting your clients to the least possible bandwidth. However, if things play out the same way as AX and you get 70% of the link rate which is where I get the 3-5gbps number from by doubling AX LR/actual bandwidth to 320mhz channels.

Now, the other thing that's a bit unknown right now is how Intel and others will configure client adapters and whether there will be additional bandwidth tech rolled into BE adapters like they did with DCT to get up to 1.5gbps with the AX411. If there's some bundling of bands into a single pipe like DCT does there might be additional BW available to a single client.

Anyway, so, hopefully you can see a single 10ge WAN / LAN port won't be sufficient for maxing out the connection to its fullest potential. Now, on the consumer side a 10GE ISP connection might not be the norm unless you happen to have a fiber connection and the pricing is low enough to make it tempting enough to purchase. There are some pockets with co-op type ISP setups that approach the 10GE speed threshold for ~$100/mo or less.

Internally on the LAN though hitting those max potential speeds would require some better HW / SWX / AP with appropriate physical ports to not bottleneck the connection.

Wonder if the CPU is actually BCM4916.

Didn't expect a 2.6 ghz clock.. granted 4916 is confirmed A53 as per Broadcom product page.

WIFI7 Flagship CPU from other manufacturers:
-QCA IPQ9574 A73 @ 2.2ghz
-MTK Filogic 880 A73 @ 1.8ghz

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if the CPU is actually BCM4916.

Didn't expect a 2.6 ghz clock.. granted 4916 is confirmed A53 as per Broadcom product page.

WIFI7 Flagship CPU from other manufacturers:
-QCA IPQ9574 A73 @ 2.2ghz
-MTK Filogic 880 A73 @ 1.8ghz
Perhaps its a custom overclocked CPU...similar to what Samsung's reportedly doing for the upcoming S23 range of smartphones.

Perhaps its a custom overclocked CPU...similar to what Samsung's reportedly doing for the upcoming S23 range of smartphones.

ASUS has/had OC'd snapdragons on their phones too, but I would argue that WIFI platforms are more locked down.

Would be a completely new SKU or number sequence if not BCM4916. IE: internal binning under a different ID.

Techpowerup posted an overview of the new router products announced at this year's CES. This includes the GT-BE98, RT-BE96U and three ExpertWiFi routers, mesh, and range extenders.

GT-BE98 with RMerlin gives me that "special" feeling, and my only prohibitive issue would be cost.
Absolutely zero issues with current setup, yet the evilness in my wicked heart demands I desire that GT-BE98! But only if it gets RMerlin FW ;)

Last edited: