What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I got my BE98 yesterday. (After some DHCP issues, fixed IPs etc for Home Assistant the setup is now stable.

My RT-AX82U works fine with Ethernet backhaul. The other nodes have wireless backhaul (by design).

I got my BE98 yesterday. (After some DHCP issues, fixed IPs etc for Home Assistant the setup is now stable.

My RT-AX82U works fine with Ethernet backhaul. The other nodes have wireless backhaul (by design).
It works fine because you have not turned the whole system to use the ethernet backhaul as you have wireless AiMesh nodes
I also believed you have not changed the 5GHz-2 radio to be able to be used as both fronthaul and backhaul

Are others having the same issue as me using ethernet backhaul where the 6ghz bands are simply not showing at all when enabling? It's just strange. Only shows 2.4 and 5 ghz. Aimesh always seems to be the most problematic with a new router release. Not sure if i need to try resetting router again as that didnt make s difference last time. Simply can't share 6ghz bands when enabling ethernet backhaul.

I can confirm that with the GT-BE98 current firmware and a GT-AX6000 acting as an AiMesh node there is an issue.
If the system is set to use ethernet backhaul mode or the 5GHZ-2 is set to anything other than a dedicated backhaul, no clients can connect wirelessly to the GT-AX6000 node.
Functionality is restored by using the default AiMesh settings
I have sent feedback to Asus regarding this
Same here using GT-AX11000 as a mesh node.
Additionally, I also noticed, that the guest network settings (e.g. access intranet) are not properly forwarded to the mesh nodes.

Apologies if I missed the post, but is there any indication of Wireguard VPN performance on this router yet? I know it's relatively early and this isn't widely available, but the few reviews I've found haven't included much if any VPN testing at all unfortunately.
Performance is very good in my opinion. I have tested it using ProtonVPN (Wireguard), result can be seen in the attachment (native speed is 800/25 Mbps).

And here are some other experiences and bugs using the latest firmware (33001), which I have reported to Asus as well:
1. 6 GHz SSID can not be hidden, even with "Hide SSID = yes" the SSID is visible.
2. "Smart Connect rules" is a mess, settings are not saved and/or not shown properly.
3. If the WAN/LAN1 connector is used for WAN connection, the VPN speed (Wireguard) is capped at about 170 Mbps, else (10G WAN) see result below.
4. VLAN not possible using WAN/LAN-1.
5. If you enable link aggregation, the 10G (LAN6) and 1G (LAN5) are bonded, despite the fact, that GUI says LAN1+LAN2 (which would be logical...). I don't want to comment this. :)
6. After a reboot there are cases when Wireguard client needs to be reconnected manually. GUI says "Connected", but there is no Internet at all.
7. Guest network pro: Where to start...
- There is no MAC filtering option
- The WPA2 password is limited to 32 characters (instead of 64 as shown by the GUI).
- If a guest network is created with the same subnet as the main network (so without VLAN), intranet access is always on (no matter if client isolation is enabled and/or intranet access is disabled).
- If a guest network is created with VLAN and a local DNS resolver is set (WAN), DNS resolving is not functional for this subnet until the server address is set manually to the subnet's gateway address.
- VLAN port isolation is not functional (settings are not saved)
- If the subnet mask for a guest network (using VLAN) is other than 255.255.255.0 error messages are generated in the log.

In addition to these, the router is quite stable and wired/wireless transfer speeds (LAN and WAN) are better compared to my "old" GT-AX11000.
You can see an example in the attachement, where the "system structure" is the following:

Server(host) <10 GbE> BE98 <WiFi6 5GHz_2> AX11000 4x4 as media bridge <2.5 GbE> PC (client)
Distance: approx. 8 m + 1 lightweight wall in between

Attachments

• vpn_madness.png
    vpn_madness.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 73
  • be98_lan_speedtest.png
    be98_lan_speedtest.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
It works fine because you have not turned the whole system to use the ethernet backhaul as you have wireless AiMesh nodes
I also believed you have not changed the 5GHz-2 radio to be able to be used as both fronthaul and backhaul
True, I can only have one AP with Ethernet backhaul given my cabling situation. Both my AXE16000 (upstairs now) and an AX88U in the garage do setup their backhauls on the 5 GHz-2 without me intervening.
(The cabled AX82U is in the basement, I am considering replacing it with a BE96 at some point.)

Same here using GT-AX11000 as a mesh node.
Additionally, I also noticed, that the guest network settings (e.g. access intranet) are not properly forwarded to the mesh nodes.

Performance is very good in my opinion. I have tested it using ProtonVPN (Wireguard), result can be seen in the attachment (native speed is 800/25 Mbps).

And here are some other experiences and bugs using the latest firmware (33001), which I have reported to Asus as well:
1. 6 GHz SSID can not be hidden, even with "Hide SSID = yes" the SSID is visible.
2. "Smart Connect rules" is a mess, settings are not saved and/or not shown properly.
3. If the WAN/LAN1 connector is used for WAN connection, the VPN speed (Wireguard) is capped at about 170 Mbps, else (10G WAN) see result below.
4. VLAN not possible using WAN/LAN-1.
5. If you enable link aggregation, the 10G (LAN6) and 1G (LAN5) are bonded, despite the fact, that GUI says LAN1+LAN2 (which would be logical...). I don't want to comment this. :)
6. After a reboot there are cases when Wireguard client needs to be reconnected manually. GUI says "Connected", but there is no Internet at all.
7. Guest network pro: Where to start...
- There is no MAC filtering option
- The WPA2 password is limited to 32 characters (instead of 64 as shown by the GUI).
- If a guest network is created with the same subnet as the main network (so without VLAN), intranet access is always on (no matter if client isolation is enabled and/or intranet access is disabled).
- If a guest network is created with VLAN and a local DNS resolver is set (WAN), DNS resolving is not functional for this subnet until the server address is set manually to the subnet's gateway address.
- VLAN port isolation is not functional (settings are not saved)
- If the subnet mask for a guest network (using VLAN) is other than 255.255.255.0 error messages are generated in the log.

In addition to these, the router is quite stable and wired/wireless transfer speeds (LAN and WAN) are better compared to my "old" GT-AX11000.
You can see an example in the attachement, where the "system structure" is the following:

Server(host) <10 GbE> BE98 <WiFi6 5GHz_2> AX11000 4x4 as media bridge <2.5 GbE> PC (client)
Distance: approx. 8 m + 1 lightweight wall in between

Wow, am I reading this right? With a Wireguard VPN running on the router to cover your entire network, you still get over 700Mbps down?

Currently on a 1Gb symmetrical connection, running a Wireguard full network VPN on my AX88U non-pro takes me from the 1Gb down to around ~250-270Mbps.

If those numbers are accurate I am absolutely floored, and picking up one of these would be far more convenient than running any kind of open source build my own router pfsense kind of thing. Thank you for your data!

Wow, am I reading this right? With a Wireguard VPN running on the router to cover your entire network, you still get over 700Mbps down?

Currently on a 1Gb symmetrical connection, running a Wireguard full network VPN on my AX88U non-pro takes me from the 1Gb down to around ~250-270Mbps.

If those numbers are accurate I am absolutely floored, and picking up one of these would be far more convenient than running any kind of open source build my own router pfsense kind of thing. Thank you for your data!
Well, there are at least 3-4 parallel VPN connections running (Wireguard and OVPN mixed, using different service providers) and the speedtest was performed during normal operation, so all of them were active.
Based on my experience, ProtonVPN is among the fastest, I get around 500-700 Mbps (depending on server load I guess) every time I check it.

With my AX1100 the speed was capped around 400-450 Mbps (which is also a nice results in my opinion). :)

This makes a lot of sense and was the reason I went ahead and bought a set of routers. I currently have the BE96U, well 4 of them actually. They replaced my AXE-11000s. I utilize them as a mesh. However, seeing that BE98 Pro is only $100 more, it seems that maybe I should return them and go with it instead. I use a wireless backhaul currently and basically get full gigabit speeds at each of the nodes now that my units are WiFi 7. Do you have any thoughts about if it makes more sense to get the BE98 Pro since the price is not much different? Seems like port wise it's more future proof for if I decide to do any upgrades in the future.
As you noted on a different thread you are currently using 6 GHz as backhaul, so I would highly recommend exchanging them for the BE98 Pro if $400 is not an issue to you...

Cant wait to get a Asus GT-BE98 Pro. I tried a Tp-link Deco Mesh BE85, but I just cant trust them. I ended up returning it to Bestbuy. I had been trying to get a Asus GT-BE98 Pro for a while now. (Part of the reason I tried Tp-Link) The only time its in stock is someone flipping it at 50% markup on eBay. I dont mind $100 more but $400-$500 ouch.

How does everyone like the GT-BE98 Pro? I have a Intel BE200 in my laptop, the Tp-Link would not get more then 1.35gb down\1.1gb up on my private speedtest server.

So far it’s been good to me. Just prior to installing it my AXE16000 was giving me a headache over an AiProtection signature update, so I was happy to swap it in as router. As background I received mine on 11/30…

I like the BE95 over the BE85, and interestingly they are getting some discounted pricing. I just don’t know how my network would work with one centrally located TP-Link and then AiMesh (via AP mode) surrounding it. Then there’s the subscription cost for HomeShield. It would have been great if the BQ16 Pro just matched the specs of the BE95 but alas it is a BE30000 vs BE33000. As one review(er) noted, what are 1 Gig Ethernet ports doing on a high end WiFi 7 router?…

I am back to using my Asus AXE16000. For me the Gui is laggy, but no other issues. I ran a brand new cat 7 cable from the main Tp-link (upstairs) to the 2nd unit (downstairs). I had them hooked up 10gb. I was not impressed with the Wifi 7 speeds. I dont care about the subscription cost so much. I care more about the CCP getting in. Also support and updates. Asus and unfi have been my choice for years. Mostly Asus.

Do we know if the chip inside this router will allow it to be supported by ASUSWRT-MERLIN?
The SoC is most likely the same as in the RT-BE96U, which is a Broadcom BCM4916 running at 2,6 GHz...so there is a chance that it will be supported.

I am back to using my Asus AXE16000. For me the Gui is laggy, but no other issues. I ran a brand new cat 7 cable from the main Tp-link (upstairs) to the 2nd unit (downstairs). I had them hooked up 10gb. I was not impressed with the Wifi 7 speeds. I dont care about the subscription cost so much. I care more about the CCP getting in. Also support and updates. Asus and unfi have been my choice for years. Mostly Asus.

Funny you mention the CCP. That is definitely something to consider, except my household is basically all healthcare. If they spy on us maybe they'd get a possible answer to COVID, but nothing else. (I don't mind that, at least for now)...

I've heard of Unifi but haven't researched them much. Everything isn't perfect in BE98 Pro land, but I am happier with it than with the AXE16000, BE98 Pro 80/81% memory utilization, AXE16000 96/97% memory utilization.

It's on backorder now on newegg. Ended up placing order to have a 2nd one for aimesh setup, moving away from the axe16000 router so that I have two BE98 Pro's hardwired. Should probably ship in a week or so (16th). Yay! :D Can't wait to see new firmware updates become available.

Last edited:
Yes, I was also expecting shorter range with 6GHz than 5GHz. But both 5GHz and 6GHz. go across my house from one end to the other, and deliver my full ISP download speed via wireless on internet speed tests. I don't have a version of Wi-Fi Analyzer that has 6GHz. yet, but no speed at range problem with 6GHz. I'm using a wifi-7 phone, the Pixel 8, for the 6GHz. test, the only wifi-7 client that I have at this point.

can you roughly describe what range across the house and if there're any walls in between? my 6ghz is basically dead once through 2 concrete walls

Has the Merlin firmware always been the best firmware for Asus routers? I'm buying an Asus router for the first time. I have an ASUS modem but not a router. And I just ordered BE98. I see people talking about the Merlin firmware. I assume it will also be available soon for BE98 router. But just to understand, what benefits is it bringing to the routers?