What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My AXE16000 seem to only handle 4400mbps down / 3500mbps up from my 8000mbps ISP connection.
Can I expect better results upgrading to BE98?

My AXE16000 seem to only handle 4400mbps down / 3500mbps up from my 8000mbps ISP connection.
Can I expect better results upgrading to BE98?

O have the 2 and the 98 is better but the 16000 is fine on my 8000/8000 you need to disable qos and trend micro stuff and important if you need to enable trendmicro you need first to widtraw the policy it works fine after you do that

In the privacy
Tab do it and test

O have the 2 and the 98 is better but the 16000 is fine on my 8000/8000 you need to disable qos and trend micro stuff and important if you need to enable trendmicro you need first to widtraw the policy it works fine after you do that
I have tried to disable the TrendMicro features as well as all the QoS services but it doesn't seem to impact the speedtest results at all on my side.
I remember that having the QoS web history was massively impacting the bandwidth but I have disabled it in the past.

After withdrawing, you need to do a full reboot of the router.

If the results are still suboptimal, then a full reset will be the fastest way to get your router back to a good/known state (toggling options on/off isn't the same as leaving them at defaults. A full reset ensures everything is at defaults and is what the router firmware expects).

Is there any practical difference in hardware version 2.0 manufactured in 2024 compared to the earlier release?

This is the GT-BE98 i.e. the non-pro version.

IMG_3765.jpeg

Yes, the earlier release was the alpha and they learned since then for this beta.

Kind of curious to know as well. It could be cost cutting measures who knows. Wouldn't think the hardware would magically be any different or have noticable improvements.

Yes, the earlier release was the alpha and they learned since then for this beta.
Don't post personal opinions as technical facts please.

s there any practical difference in hardware version 2.0 manufactured in 2024 compared to the earlier release?
Asus does not document changes between hardware revisions. They often can be something as minor as switching supplier for a component, or optimizing the pc board layout for cost cutting reasons.

I've been testing out the smart connect feature combing the 5ghz + 6ghz-1 + 6ghz-2. Been working far better than I expected, quiet impressive actually. The band steering works flawlessly. It almost feels like I am on both 5ghz and 6ghz band in same time getting excellent range and speed even though I am only using a galaxy s22 ultra for now. Once I get some wifi 7 devices it will be far more interesting test and when MLO and AFC are available. Even not using the smart connect feature and making the SSID the same for all 3 bands results in similar great performance. I guess the smart connect feature just has some band steering trickery up its sleeves that works good. Will be fun to see the firmware updates roll out soon hopefully! 😁
I think, smart connect with AI mesh will disable WiFi7. I cannot confirm now as I returned the router.

Asus does not document changes between hardware revisions.

Was there any different h/w version for this router?

I remember some Asus models were released with h/w version >1.0 in the past. Perhaps this is the release version for GT-BE98?

Don't post personal opinions as technical facts please.

I didn't. You're taking it as such.

But even if I did, I'm not allowed to and everyone else can? I don't understand this stance at all.

But even if I did, I'm not allowed to and everyone else can? I don't understand this stance at all.
There's a difference between:

"Maybe the new hardware revision resolved issues"

and

"The first hardware revision was an alpha release"

First is an opinion and is perfectly fine, the second is stated as a fact (without anything to back it) and is misleading to the OP who was asking a legitimate question.

Was there any different h/w version for this router?
I don't know. It would be surprising considering for how long the product has been available for sale, as mass production of a new revision would have taken a certain amount of time before it reached store shelves.

Someone who bought it early would have to check what they got. It's indeed not unheard for Asus to launch with a rev higher than 1.0 if something major was changed during development. So there is a chance it might have launched right with version 2.0.

In fact, I believe that every model that I have disassembled so far shipped with a version higher than 1.0, and some of these I had received before they even reached store shelves. My initial RT-AC87U didn't have a case because it was being redesigned by Asus, and the second one had different LED colours than what ultimately shipped, as it got changed at the last minute. The inner joke was that my own RT-AC87U was more stable than others because of these LEDs. :)

EDIT: I can't check the GT-BE98 because I don't have one, but my GT-BE98_PRO is HwVer 1.0.

Last edited:
It's indeed not unheard for Asus to launch with a rev higher than 1.0

I remember RT-AC86U early versions 2017 production were v1.5 as well as last units produced in 2020. I have a bunch of 2017 production RT-AC1900P now all version B2. This router had a different marketing than RT-AC68U and never had B1 version. I also won't be surprised if GT-BE98 was released with version 2.0 hardware.

but my GT-BE98_PRO is HwVer 1.0

You may have provided the answer here. 💡

GT-BE98 Pro - v1.0
GT-BE98 - v2.0

The Pro model was released first according to online sources. They are the same hardware with one radio tuned differently.

Hello, I live in Spain and I have bought the normal be98, but I have realized that there is a pro model which I see has 2 6GHz networks, one with high channels and the other with low channels.

My question is the following, I want to buy the pro model on Amazon.com, would it be compatible in Europe or will I have any problems? I have read that the pro model, due to regulations in the United States, has a more powerful Wi-Fi than the European model, is it true? ?

I am not worried about not complying with European regulations, what I am looking for is to have the greatest possible range and the fact of having 2 6ghz networks, any additional extra benefits?

You may have provided the answer here. 💡

GT-BE98 Pro - v1.0
GT-BE98 - v2.0
I also had that same thought while checking mine. It's possible that they reused the same board, since the main difference would be at the radio filter/amp level.

My question is the following, I want to buy the pro model on Amazon.com, would it be compatible in Europe or will I have any problems?
It would not be compatible. The Pro model is only available in North America (and I forgot which other region) at this time, as it uses frequencies not allowed in Europe. Beside breaking your local regulation, many clients would simply not be able to connect to those other frequencies anyway.