What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As per RMerlin explanation this would require a new SDK. Perhaps not happening.
I was just curious, as RMerlin stated, why put such a high-tier router with the older SDK? I was just wondering if there had been any changes or news extending the life of this router.

why put such a high-tier router with the older SDK?

Because what makes this device work as wireless router came upstream from Broadcom. Most home routers stay close to the reference design of the chip manufacturer and run on software provided by this chip manufacturer. Different shapes and sizes, different brands, firmware features, WebUI, etc. - what's underneath is still Broadcom.

Does anyone know what triggers the router suddenly not letting devices connect with incorrect password errors? Only seems to affect my iPhone and iPad so maybe only affecting the 6GHz band? I’m able to connect over WireGuard on my phone over 5G and if I change a setting that will restart the WiFi then the devices that couldn’t connect then can.

Does anyone know what triggers the router suddenly not letting devices connect with incorrect password errors? Only seems to affect my iPhone and iPad so maybe only affecting the 6GHz band? I’m able to connect over WireGuard on my phone over 5G and if I change a setting that will restart the WiFi then the devices that couldn’t connect then can.
I'm getting the same thing on a lot of AP/wireless routers like at work and at my gym on my iphone. Seems to have just started with the last apple update.

Last edited:
Occurs with Samsung Galaxies, Google Pixels, Windows PC’s, tablets, IoT devices, and other devices. The problem isn’t specifically an iPhone issue. Usually, rebooting/shutting down for several minutes routers and AP’s fix the issue(s) for a while.

So I have a question and I’m looking for some advice.

I have two AX11000s in a wireless mesh setup. They’ve been rock solid for years and after the last firmware upgrade 2 months ago it got super flaky. It got so bad that one day the main router stopped working entirely. I did a full reset, set up the mesh again and it’s been dropping signal upstairs for my wife, and my kid.

We work at home so this isn’t optimal. Lol

I picked up two of the GT BE98 pros to try in a mesh setup, figuring they’d be a good step up/setup to replace what I had before. I put them in the exact same places as the AX11000s.

What I’m seeing is the WiFi 6ghz band won’t even go 30 feet or through one wall with losing a TON of speed. I’m also noticing when placed in the same place as my previous routers, and the dedicated 5ghz backhaul signal per the ASUS dashboard isn’t as good as what the ax11000 had.

My AX11000 setup was rock solid. Thats what I’m trying to get back to. Are there some settings I can adjust on the Be98s to fix some of this signal issues I’m seeing? I took some setting suggestions from here a few years ago, like beam forming and other things. Any suggestions on settings I can adjust to get similar performance as what I ax11000 mesh setup?

I appreciate any suggestions or help anyone can give. :)

I have the 'regular' BE98 (with 2x 5GHz radios) as opposed to the BE98 'Pro' with it's 2x 6GHz radios.

The 6GHz band should only have a slightly weaker range than the 5GHz in theory, however, I find that in practice that makes a big difference for more distant stations.

I've only ever ran a slightly older RT-AX88U Pro with a RP-AX58 in an AI mesh set up (both are up for sale in the for sale section!) but I haven't used the BE98 in an AI Mesh. From what I know of the BE98, one of the 5 GHz radios is dedicated to wireless backhaul whereas on the 'Pro' it's one of the 6GHz radios*. As such, if you're already seeing a performance drop on the 6GHz band, your AI Mesh is already compromised.

For me, a couple of questions:
1) If your AX11000 set up was rock solid before the latest firmware upgrade, why not roll-back to the stable firmware, feedback to ASUS and await a further update? Or, if it was rock solid previously, could you not stay on that last firmware regardless of further updates?

2) With the BE98 'Pro' dedicating a 6GHz radio to backhaul*, are you able to place them in better positions where they can achieve a higher throughput?

*I haven't tried AI Mesh with my BE98 so I don't know if it is possible to select a specific radio for backhaul.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!