What's new

Guest Network on AiMesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

onedollarinmywallet

Occasional Visitor
I am currently running two RT-AC68U's on my network; one is the primary router, and the second is the AiMesh node. Both units are on the latest 3.0.0.4.384_45149 firmware. Overall, it's been pretty stable with almost 40+ clients connected on a daily basis (e.g. IP cameras, thermostats, kids' iPads, laptops, IoTs devices, etc.) other than the occasional sudden disconnects (but then it reconnects seconds later). The primary router is in the basement where the Verizon FiOS Gigabit line comes in while the AiMesh node is in the main floor by teh family room where it's centrally located.

The other day, I enabled the guest network so that my kids' friends could connect to the network when they're over but noticed that the clients weren't connecting to the AiMesh node, as evident by the signal strength on the client.

Does AiMesh not support guest network? Is ASUS planning to enable support for guest network on AiMesh? I am planning on adding a third AiMesh node (likely aother AC68U) but it seems kind of an oversight by ASUS that they don't support the guest network on their mesh network especially if they're marketing or promoting it.

No, currently Guest Networks are not available via nodes. I cannot say if it will happen, as I have no clue about the technical challenges nor do I wish to speak for ASUS.
However, I saw a post saying it would require assistance from chip mfg. so I would only assume its a possibility in the future.

On a personal note, I too, hope it will see the light of day.

No, currently Guest Networks are not available via nodes. I cannot say if it will happen, as I have no clue about the technical challenges nor do I wish to speak for ASUS.
However, I saw a post saying it would require assistance from chip mfg. so I would only assume its a possibility in the future.

On a personal note, I too, hope it will see the light of day.
It has nothing to do with chip or manufactoring!
They only have to setup a VLAN from node to router to transport traffic accordingly.
Only Asus missed this step to have Aimesh usable for many users.

It has nothing to do with chip or manufactoring!
They only have to setup a VLAN from node to router to transport traffic accordingly.
Only Asus missed this step to have Aimesh usable for many users.
I suspect you're correct but the post I recall, specifically said it would require the assistance of the chip mfg.
Its possible I conflated two subjects in the same post. But for now Ill stick to saying thats what I recall. If Im wrong it want be the first time. :p

@Grisu

Ok Ill concede a bit.

Ive been looking over a few posts by @arthurlien whom I recall being in the conversation/thread. I may have indeed conflated it. Smart Connect rings a bell, (very hard ringing) looking over the posts. Thinking it may have been SC instead of Guest network. Ill keep digging for a bit and see if I find it.

Low priority though, :p on this great Saturday morning.

edit : Looks like this is what I was recalling https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...st-beta-for-bluecave.46802/page-7#post-429887 from Merlin and a few down Arthur says there are a few ways to add it in.

So yeah it was indeed SC and not guest networks. I humbly stand corrected.

Ah good times. Such a great group of people here. Glad I joined, its actually fun to have discussions with people. Ive been so many places that discussion was stymied (not sarcasm, being serious, its a great place to converse :) )

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Hopefully ASUS will implement supporting guest network on the AiMesh soon.

On a related note, should I switch to router (primary) and AP mode (on the second unit) for better performance and reliability? My second unit is connected via hardwired (Ethernet).

if you are happy with Aimesh you can use it, many have serious troubles with connectivity and none in old AP mode. You have to find best solution on your own, too many unknown parameters (like clients, neighbour WiFi, interference and so on).

If Lyra devices running in Lyra mode, guest network is also available on the nodes (but only on 2.4 Ghz). If the same Lyra devices running in AiMesh mode , guest network is NOT available on the nodes. So it must be a software restriction.

I hope Asus will enhance this in future AiMesh releases.

If you enable (out of Aimesh-mode) any guest network on a node (AP-mode) it wont be a guest network but only an additional SSID with full access to your network/intranet!

My setup is like this:
ISP-Cable Modem -> Main Router (Merlin, WiFi off) -> 2nd Router (Stock, AP Mode, AiMesh)

As we know, on the nodes there is currently no Guest Wlan possible.

Is there a way to prevent LAN access for specific clients (IP-Range)? Those Clients should have only access to WAN but not to LAN?

If you enable (out of Aimesh-mode) any guest network on a node (AP-mode) it wont be a guest network but only an additional SSID with full access to your network/intranet!

And if there are two routers, one set as a wireless router and the other as AP, can we have a real guest network on the AP router? i.e no intranet access on the AP guest network.

And if there are two routers, one set as a wireless router and the other as AP, can we have a real guest network on the AP router? i.e no intranet access on the AP guest network.
No. Any client connected through the Guest SSID on the AP will have full intranet access. That is why ASUS blocked Guest on AiMesh nodes. It leads to a false sense of security.

No. Any client connected through the Guest SSID on the AP will have full intranet access. That is why ASUS blocked Guest on AiMesh nodes. It leads to a false sense of security.
Someone said here that it can be solved by creating a VLAN and that it can be done. I wonder why ASUS isn't doing that.
Some components of AiMesh are closed source (also read here on the forum) but can't Merlin do this for the AP mode?

I've seen hints in recent firmware code that Asus might be working on adding Guest networking support to AiMesh.

Hi RMerlin,
do you have any news about this?

Thank you

No. All I know is I've seen pieces of code related to this in recent GPL releases, I don't have any other info that that, sorry.

You can use this scripts to help you use the guest network on the node router.
But if in AiMesh mode (non-AP mode), you need to enable SSH, use nvram under SSH to enable the guest network and custom scripts, and run these scripts through SSH.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!