What's new

GUI, reliability and support of managed switches: TP-Link, TRENDnet and Zyxel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ooompa

New Around Here
I have limited the pool of brands in my POE+ switch search (that allows for port scheduling) to these 3 brands. I am assuming that all 3 are license free and don't require cloud for management (like Netgear) and can be easily manged via web interface. MikroTik offers no port scheduling and Unifi has to be modified using API, which could possibly work (but I just want it to work)

What are your experience with GUI of these brands? I will be buying couple managed switches in ~$200 range, 8-24 ports, POE+.
Other issues, reliability, quality of support and warranty?

Edit: I looked into Netgear again and can't find the model that has the feature I need and fits the bill at the same time.

Last edited:
Zyxel is the strongest of the three. Cisco SG/CBS is better, still (arguably tops in the GUI-driven segment), but probably prices itself out of your range.

Given the budget, if you're CLI-fu is up to snuff, I'd look at refurb enterprise off FleaBay. In particular, HPE 2530 and up or Juniper EX2200 and up. Solid, solid, solid products.

Edit: I looked into Netgear again and can't find the model that has the feature I need and fits the bill at the same time.

Odd, so you are saying Netgear doesn't have a managed switch in it's range with POE+ without cloud management and its own GUI? I run a GS752TP that ticks all these boxes and very satisfied about it unless i have the wrong idea of port scheduling of course.

I am noob-ish enough not to be courageous to depend on CLI. If I was, I should probably consider the UBNT too and use API script to do what I need.

Thanks for the hint. I looked at Netgear again and the price for the 24 port model dropped vs what I have seen again, so these 2 choices would be valid too:

GS724TP (24 ports, 2 SFP ports, POE+), ~$270
GS110TP (8 ports, 2 SFP ports, POE+), ~$150

Since you are a Netgear user, can you tell me if they have to be registered via cloud? And do I have to log in via cloud to manage it? Meaning no local GUI?
Reviews like below are pretty disheartening:

But I absolutely cannot support using a network device that requires me to create a Netgear cloud account to log into the device locally and manage it. Every single time you try to log into your switch, you will have to put in your cloud Netgear credentials, if you don't you will only be shown the IP of the switch and its MAC address.

and

Upon upgrading the firmware I was presented with two choices: either register the device and get all the features one would expect of a managed switch or not register it and use is as a unmanaged switch that one can get for half the price.

The Zyxel models I would compare these to would be:

GS1900-24HP (24 ports, 2 SFP ports, POE+), ~$250
GS1900-10HP (8 ports, 2 SFP ports, POE+), ~$140

So fairly comparable in price.

Another question is - if I am able to find models without SFP ports - and knowing that the chance of getting fiber where I live is zero for the next 5+ years, should I even consider non-SFP models (possibly assuming POE instead of POE+)?

I am noob-ish enough not to be courageous to depend on CLI. If I was, I should probably consider the UBNT too and use API script to do what I need.

Thanks for the hint. I looked at Netgear again and the price for the 24 port model dropped vs what I have seen again, so these 2 choices would be valid too:

GS724TP (24 ports, 2 SFP ports, POE+), ~$270
GS110TP (8 ports, 2 SFP ports, POE+), ~$150

Since you are a Netgear user, can you tell me if they have to be registered via cloud? And do I have to log in via cloud to manage it? Meaning no local GUI?

They both have a local web-based management GUI. Cloud-based management is available but not mandatory. I had a GS724Tv3 before my current one. If it wouldn't have been for the POE+ need, i wouldn't have changed it. It worked flawless.

Good to know.

I think the decision comes down to Netgear vs Zyxel at this point. I might actually order both and compare their functionality.

Next decision - which wired router should I put in between Brume (running Wireguard client) and the 1st managed switch (if at all)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!