What's new

HDD constantly operating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

michelos

New Around Here
When my HDD is connected to the router, it never stops accessing and operating, sounds like its reading constantly. What is it doing? It cannot be Download Master with torrents or whatever, because I have not installed DM now, and I deleted all tasks.

It never stops operating as long as the router is on and the USB is detected. It starts right away from the connection.

I have the standard .270 asus firmware installed right now, and its a 2TB WD HDD.

When my HDD is connected to the router, it never stops accessing and operating, sounds like its reading constantly. What is it doing? It cannot be Download Master with torrents or whatever, because I have not installed DM now, and I deleted all tasks.

It never stops operating as long as the router is on and the USB is detected. It starts right away from the connection.

I have the standard .270 asus firmware installed right now, and its a 2TB WD HDD.

Download Master also has aMule, which will automatically share anything found in the Download directory. Unfortunately there is no option to disable aMule, which is one of the reasons why I advise against using Download Master.

Download Master also has aMule, which will automatically share anything found in the Download directory. Unfortunately there is no option to disable aMule, which is one of the reasons why I advise against using Download Master.

But he said he did not install Download Master.

I disconnect Amule, but apparently at some point it will connect on its own?

Is there a way to "trick disable" Amule by entering bogus settings into the aMule Server IP address and/or the aMule Server Port box?

UPDATE: over 27 hours and aMule has remained Disconnected. Seems the Download Master update vrsn 3.1.0.78 has fixed the aMule issue.

Last edited:
I did indeed not install DM now officially, because opening the USB tab in 198.168.1.1 the firmware detects nothing and gives to option for install DM. But a previous version is still on the HDD, because the asusware folder is still on it. I have doubts on the Amule theory. Trafic monitor is not registering any trafic. Or Amule is secretly avoiding the monitoring.

Second option is file scanning: when clicking the USB application button, and then the second Servers Center button, it will show the mediaserver tab screen with the Itunesserver and Media server on/off tabs. Below that is the option the mount? the server directory, and the last it says: media server status. It says: Scanning. And it never stops scanning. My cards are on this.
Its still an anoying bug, because it can't be normal to keep scanning for days.

Knowing about this constant accessing HDD I also suspect this could be a cause in errors of the HDD and the mounting issue, because a constant scanning or uploading HDD that is often suddenly interupted is more likely to fault.

It is evident it will also slow down overall performance of Download Master or the connection if the HDD is constantly being scanned, when I see how intense it is accessing.

I can try to mount a different directory, so it won't scan all my HDD, but then it looses its function to directly offer the proper mediaserver/sharing directory to my network.

Second option is file scanning: when clicking the USB application button, and then the second Servers Center button, it will show the mediaserver tab screen with the Itunesserver and Media server on/off tabs. Below that is the option the mount? the server directory, and the last it says: media server status. It says: Scanning. And it never stops scanning. My cards are on this.
Its still an anoying bug, because it can't be normal to keep scanning for days.

I don't think it's a bug, because on mine, it says: "Media Server Status - Idle" I'm using a 3TB Western Digital Elements external HD plugged into USB port.

Maybe it's somewhere in your settings. Also, I'm on ASUS firmware .354 and you stated you are using .270 Maybe you need to upgrade to latest firmware.

UPDATE: And I see that now once I disconnect Amule, after many hours it seems to STAY disconnected, so perhaps this was addressed in the Download Master update as well.

Last edited:
Where should I find the options the toggle the scanning of the USB drive? It operates and starts up on itself as far as I know, and there is no option to be found to turn this on or in this case off to get an idle status. Maybe Im looking in the wrong places.

As for the fimware, I can only see .354 on the official Asus support area download section of the firmwares, its a beta firmware, I upgraded to it now and the problem stays the same with the scanning.

Download Master also still cant upgrade with this firmware to your DM version, it sees there is an update, but in updating it cancels with: Server does not respond.

I'm kinda stuck until your DM version is available again I guess.

You could try removing the WD 2TB HD and replace it with a USB flash drive and see if you get the same issue. Don't just unplug or shutdown the HD...it will screw it up. You have to click "Remove" under "safely remove disk" first.

Here are my settings under Servers Center:

Enable DLNA Media Server: ON
Enable itunes Server: OFF

Media server directory: I DO NOT use the Download Master "Complete" folder, which I think is default. I created a new folder on the drive attached to the router and called it "MyMedia"

Also

Samba Share IS enabled, but FTP Share is NOT enabled.

Don't think it would matter, but QoS is OFF.

I am able to access and play all files on the hard drive thru the network via PC, android tablet using AiCloud app (or web browser), and Western Digital TV Live media streaming device.

What specific model number Western Digital HD are you using?

Last edited:
Just occurred to me that the Media Server Status showing "scanning" likely has little or nothing to do with your HD activity. My drive is usually if not always active regardless of the Media Server Status, and apparently this is normal and not detrimental to the drive:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/WD-Elements-3TB-always-spinning/td-p/503498

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop...ng-down-drive-via-software-if-not/td-p/334827

Just based on the HD activity light mine may spin down but only when there is no network activity, if then. Right now is a bad time because my network is being used, but later tonight I'll check it when there is no activity on the network or Download Master.

UPDATE: I tested this last night and I can confirm that my HD light shows activity regardless of network use. It's normal. Like the the thread above states, they're made to spin for 5 years or more.

Last edited:

Thanks RMerlin. Had same problem. I disabled Download Master and solved the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!