What's new

HDD spindown on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DevilzSoul

New Around Here
I have a 4tb WD External Elements HDD (bought brand new a month ago) attached to USB port on R7800. My firmware is the Stock Netgear V1.0.2.62

My problem is that my HDD wont spindown and constantly make noise of read/write. I have looked through all the options of firmware but I cant seem to find anything that will allow me to put USB Device on standby or sleep mode.

is there anything I can do to resolve this (short of buying a SSD) - any other firmware that has this option built in.. will appreciate some input

hd-idle, sd-idle, sdparm, or hdparm. you're going to have to find a version thats compatible with your firmware or just install voxel's firmware, he's got it in his repo's

The hd-idle is available in both Netgear and Voxel FW, so it's not a big thing to solve.

Log in to the router and run this once (to activate spindown for all disks after 30 minutes of inactivity):
Code:
grep "hd-idle" /etc/rc.local || /bin/sed -i 's#^exit 0#/etc/init.d/hd-idle start \&\nexit 0#' /etc/rc.local
/etc/init.d/hd-idle start

If a shorter time, e.g. 10 minutes is preferred, run these commands once:
Code:
sed -i 's/30/10/g' /etc/config/hd-idle
/etc/init.d/hd-idle restart

That should be all!

I have a 4tb WD External Elements HDD (bought brand new a month ago) attached to USB port on R7800. My firmware is the Stock Netgear V1.0.2.62

My problem is that my HDD wont spindown and constantly make noise of read/write. I have looked through all the options of firmware but I cant seem to find anything that will allow me to put USB Device on standby or sleep mode.

is there anything I can do to resolve this (short of buying a SSD) - any other firmware that has this option built in.. will appreciate some input

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!