What's new

Help : Asus ZenWifi XT8 not working in Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PoP2005

New Around Here
I think I have found a clear bug in the latest ASUS firmware for the XT8 : I have reproduced 3 times the same issue.

I set up the Router normally and everything works perfectly well (98Mbps download speed in 2.4Ghz, north of 600Mbps download speed in 5Ghz).

HOWEVER, as soon as I change the router to Access Point (which is what I ultimately need it for), then the wireless speeds drop significantly (to 12Mbps in 2.4Ghz), with continuous disconnections in the 2.4Ghz band. The 5Ghz is also much slower (I separate both SSIDs to do clear speed tests).

I updated to the latest firmware ( 3.0.0.4.386_25790-gd414187 ) and I have hard factory reset several times (Power off + WPS). I have tried to do the initial setup both with the Asus Router App and directly on my PC as well. In all cases, the exact same issue is reproduced.

Any idea how to fix this. Or do you think ASUS will correct the firmware accordingly ?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Capture AccessPoint.PNG
    Capture AccessPoint.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Capture RouterMode.PNG
    Capture RouterMode.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 179
Why are you setting it up in router mode if you want it in AP mode?

Fully reset the router (WPS method for your model) and then set it up in AP mode as you want.

(I am assuming this is possible for the XT8, I am not familiar with it).

Why are you setting it up in router mode if you want it in AP mode?

Fully reset the router (WPS method for your model) and then set it up in AP mode as you want.

(I am assuming this is possible for the XT8, I am not familiar with it).
The standard ASUS App setup does not specify which mode and by default sets it in Router Mode. You then need to change it to Access Point. However, I have just tried a fourth time by setting it up directly in AP mode via my PC without setting it in Router Mode first, and the exact same problem happens again. So this is not the issue. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Using an 'app' to set up a network is mindboggling to me.

Did you do a full reset before using a computer to set it to AP mode?

Have you rebooted the main router before adding the AP?

Have you rebooted the entire system after adding the AP and waiting at least 15 minutes for it to stabilize?

What features/options or scripts are you running on the main router?

Are they both on the same firmware level?

Have they been both fully reset? Without using a saved backup config file to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Using an 'app' to set up a network is mindboggling to me.

Did you do a full reset before using a computer to set it to AP mode?

Have you rebooted the main router before adding the AP?

Have you rebooted the entire system after adding the AP and waiting at least 15 minutes for it to stabilize?

What features/options or scripts are you running on the main router?

Are they both on the same firmware level?

Have they been both fully reset? Without using a saved backup config file to secure the router and connect to your ISP?
Yes, full reset before each time. Main router up to date. FWIW, if I connect to the Asus ZenWifi (in AP mode) with an ethernet cable, I get my full 900Mbps speed consistently, so it is a wireless issue triggered by the AP mode, but not an AP mode issue per se. Some wireless parameter that should not be changed seems to be wrongly changed by the AP mode at some point in the set up process.

Simialar experiences here. NO connection between units until "Wireless Mode" on the main (Primary? Master?:eek:) unit.
Hard to get "Backhaul" over TP Cabel in "Wireless Mode". I thought it would be "Nice" with 2 5 GHz bands for my stuff. O well :mad:.

"Reset" within the App is said, in these forums, not to completly work(!).
"Reset" instructions with the button on ASUS support page are WRONG :(:mad:. wags1 gives the true word here. Many thanks! :):D.

Tiresome when careless faults cost so many hours of my time..... and my good, happy temper....

BTW, I called their Swedish support, and got into an unending loop on their digital phone system.

Called their English (Europe?) support, total waste of 4 minutes.

Nice when it works, very nice, but the experience stinks!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
@Mikesigen, English, please, and welcome to the forums. :)

Simialar experiences here. NO connection between units until "Wireless Mode" on the main (Primary? Master?:eek:) unit.
Hard to get "Backhaul" over TP Cabel in "Wireless Mode". I thought it would be "Nice" with 2 5 GHz bands for my stuff. O well :mad:.

"Reset" within the App is said, in these forums, not to completly work(!).
"Reset" instructions with the button on ASUS support page are WRONG :(:mad:. wags1 gives the true word here. Many thanks! :):D.

Tiresome when careless faults cost so many hours of my time..... and my good, happy temper....

BTW, I called their Swedish support, and got into an unending loop on their digital phone system.

Called their English (Europe?) support, total waste of 4 minutes.

Nice when it works, very nice, but the experience stinks!

Enjoy!
2 firmware updates in 2 Days.
Much needed inproved interface, better links to better documentation.

However, having spent a week on things like this, with my 2-pack XT8 (which is now working very nicely) :)

First, the latest stable firmware worked very well for me. Right now, for me, that is: 3.0.0.4.386_41793

Then, after installing the latest firmware, reset and reboot, and a clean installation with TP cables and the web-based installation instead of the handy dandy app. A clean and minimal configuration by hand - not reloading a configuration file :-(

And I held off on the VPN, DDNS AiProtection and all those other good things until I saw it working. All good now.

Also, my ISP's DNS servers were absolutely AWFUL! Slow, ignorant and #¤%&!
Changed them out after using Steve Gibson's EXCELLENT DNS freeware.

I know, it takes time - about 15 minutes, maybe a little more, but easier than faffing about with a wonky platform.

Happy! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!