What's new

Help choosing a router N wireless coverage & VPN support - FTTC/VDSL & VoIP a bonus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stuey

New Around Here
I currently have a BT home hub with a separate FTTC (UK Fibre To The Cabinet VDSL) modem and I am looking to upgrade to a better router with PPPoE (and even a FTTC modem included, however the modem is not critical). It would also be nice to have VoIP as well (again not a priority, but a bonus).

I also have a Sonos system installed.

At another location (work) I have a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn that is a VPN server/endpoint/dialler and it would be nice to be able to have my new router dial-in or be able to receive a VPN instigated by my work 2820Vn.

To summarise (in priority)

1. Good WiFi (doesn't have to be massively powerful, but better and more reliable than the BTHH3 (BT home Hub 3 - I have a fairly large house 5 bedroom detatched period property and the BTHH3 *nearly* covers it all)
2. PPoE so I can connect to the Huawei EchoLife HG-612 Modem
3. Works with Spotify & Sonos without problems
4. 4 or more Gigabit Ports
5. VPN support that is reliable

Optional, but would be nice to have

6. VoIP
7. Built in Modem, so I can remove the Huawei HG612

I bought an Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight router on recommendation (from Amazon), but have problems (even with the 220 firmware) in that the GUI is a mishmash and doesn't display correctly (see attached) when a Sonos unit is plugged in via Ethernet. I've aso since found that the VPN capabilities are not great and of course, it doesn't have VoIP capabilities (albeit not critical). As it's only within a few days of receiving I'm tempted to back to Amazon, but thought I'd hold on until I'd asked the experts here!

The only routers that seem to fully meet the criteria seem to be a Vigor 2850Vn or Vigor 2750Vn - however they can't operate on the 2.4 & 5 Ghz frequencies simultaneously. I am prepared to lose the VDSL modem and VoIP if something is better for me and the Drayteks are pretty bulky and ugly, but if it's the only option available to me then I'll have to consider.

I'm happy to spend money to get the best set-up (not a low budget), but wondered if there are other units I should be considering?

I've got no preference over Asus, Netgear, Cisco, Linksys, Draytek etc etc, just something that fits the bill.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Regards

Stu :)

Attachments

• Asus.jpg
    Asus.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 249
Your requirements are specific enough that you'll have to try a few other products. Unless you have devices capable of 450 Mbps link rates, you can step down to "N600" vs. "N900" routers.

You could try Cisco Linksys EA4500 / E4200v2 for N900, EA2700 for N600. NETGEAR equivalents are WNDR4500 and WNDR3800. They have all been reviewed (use the E4200v2 review for the EA4500. Same hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!