What's new

Help needed with bonding, vlan trunking - router AC3200, managed netgear switch.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teymur

Regular Contributor
Hi
I'm looking for some help to resolve the issue I'm facing.
I have an AC3200 running latest Merlin firmware and a netgear smart switch GS108Tv2.
The switch supports 802.3ad (LACP) so I decided to run 2 network cables from the router physical ports 1 and 2 to the switch ports 7&8 and use bonding which works almost as expected, but....
On the router, besides the main LAN I have vlan85 (192.168.85.0/24) which is using VPN to go outside and it is my guest vlan. To make it short here is my robocfg output:

VLANs: BCM5301x enabled mac_check mac_hash
1: vlan1: 1 5t
2: vlan2: 0 5
4: vlan4: 4 5t
5: vlan5: 3 5t
85: vlan85: 2 3t 4t 5t

As can be seen from above that vlan is untagged on the router physical port 3 and a client connected to that port works as expected. However I tagged that vlan on the ports used for bonding and tagged on the switch side as well. Now when I connect a client to the switchport that has vlan 85 untagged (access port) the client gets and ip address but there packets can't be sent out from the client, basically no internet access. I've already spent a couple of days on this and can't seem to figure it out. One thing that I've discovered is that if on the router I tag vlan85 only on one of the ports used for bonding then the client connected to the switch on vlan 85 will work. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
vlan.PNG
lacp.PNG

Not very familiar with your equipment but it has always been my understanding that to run a "trunk" means that you are most commonly talking about setting up an 802.1Q VLAN which encapsulates the data moving through the trunk and it takes two devices, usually switches, to make the trunk work. The first switch encapsulates the data and then the second switch at the other end strips the encapsulation from the packets.

Besides the switch on your network do you have another device that can perform this function?

Adding in LAG adds another complication that I can't help you with.

Not very familiar with your equipment but it has always been my understanding that to run a "trunk" means that you are most commonly talking about setting up an 802.1Q VLAN which encapsulates the data moving through the trunk and it takes two devices, usually switches, to make the trunk work. The first switch encapsulates the data and then the second switch at the other end strips the encapsulation from the packets.

Besides the switch on your network do you have another device that can perform this function?

Adding in LAG adds another complication that I can't help you with.

I don't have another equipment that can do LAG, but I'm about to purchase a NAS with dual gigabit ports which I can aggregate. I need aggregation because I have a lot of streaming devices both wired and wireless, and when they work all together I want to make sure anough bandwidth is available. For now I'm stuck at the point I mentioned, that VLAN can't pass through the switch. Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong place, if so please do let me know. Thanks.

To make LAG work you are either going to need a new higher powered router such as the AX88 which supports LAG on both the WAN and LAN or a switch that allows LAG. My TP-Link smart switch has the feature but I never used it.

Good luck.

But I thought RT-AC3200 did support LAG?! It's got bonding.ko driver installed already. And it seems like it creates needed interfaces, below are the ones LinkAgg script creates:

teymur88@router:/tmp/home/root# ifconfig
bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr AC:9E:17:AA:2F:40
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MASTER MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4076 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:19086 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1187629 (1.1 MiB) TX bytes:4236952 (4.0 MiB)
vlan3 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr AC:9E:17:AA:2F:40
UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2931 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:14407 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:1042148 (1017.7 KiB) TX bytes:3278025 (3.1 MiB)
vlan4 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr AC:9E:17:AA:2F:40
UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1145 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4679 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:145481 (142.0 KiB) TX bytes:958927 (936.4 KiB)