What's new

Hidden SSID causing Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
I know hiding SSID isn't consider a real security countermeasure for a home network but I rather like it that I am not broadcasting my SSID all throughout my neighborhood for any person with a cell phone to see.

However, side effect is occasionally my smart home devices loses connection to the SSID (it's a guest bases SSID) & I have to reboot said devices.
No biggie as they were smart Alexa speakers.

But having recently step down to a WiFi only based security system - I had a rude alarm awakening @ 4am the other day when the security panel loss connection to the internet.

It was precipitated by my internet provider - Comcast- doing something upstream in the middle of the night.

So question is: should I just not hide it or are there still tangible benefits?

If rebooting the effected device causes it to reconnect to the hidden SSID then that might indicate that the problem is nothing to do with whether or not the SSID is hidden. That said, there's no real advantage to hiding SSIDs so you might as well un-hide it and see if it makes a difference.

I have a security system in place and when I gave up my LAN phone line it was a problem until I let the security provider install their own cell system. Now I sleep well again. This was years ago.

Your radio will still be seen even though there is no name associated with the beacon. Some devices require that name to be associated with the radio beacon that it is communicating with. Just make up some weird name for your radio SSID. The more common, the more that it will be ignored. Also adjust the power to where the radio beacon cannot be seen by devices outside of your home.

Your radio will still be seen even though there is no name associated with the beacon. Some devices require that name to be associated with the radio beacon that it is communicating with. Just make up some weird name for your radio SSID. The more common, the more that it will be ignored. Also adjust the power to where the radio beacon cannot be seen by devices outside of your home.
Interesting points.

Thanks I will try your idea of "hiding in plain sight!"