What's new

Hidden SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyK132

Hello - I'm new to Asuswrt-Merlin on the R7000 coming from dd-wrt. I installed 380.67.0, and it seems to be working OK, but I have a bunch of questions. Here's the 1st.

I have 4 wireless networks defined on 2.4G. But it seems the Hide SSID option is not working. Is this a bug? With Hide either enabled or disabled, a scan from my Android phone always shows all 4 WiFi networks.

Also, I would like to hide the SSID on 3 of them and only unhide 1 of the 4. But it does not appear I can do that. Is there a way? In dd-wrt, I could selectively hide SSIDs. When I did the Android scan when I was running dd-wrt, only 1 of the 4 showed up, which is what I want to do.

Thanks,
Tony

Merlin only supports Asus routers. If you want support for the R7000 you'll have to ask the person that made that firmware version (which isn't Merlin).
Sorry, I thought I had it right but I guess not. I'll go elsewhere.

Sorry to be blunt but we see quiet a few requests about non-Asus hardware. I'll assume that you're using a firmware from XVortex, in which case you should direct your questions to him, particularly as he encourages people to donate money to him.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/
He has a link in his ReadMe that this is the preferred place to ask questions about this s/w. I don't know but am guessing that my issue is common with his version and ASUSwrt for ASUS routers.

He has a link in his ReadMe that this is the preferred place to ask questions about this s/w. I don't know but am guessing that my issue is common with his version and ASUSwrt for ASUS routers.

Sounds like a bit of a jerk move on his part.

He takes the money but none of the responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello - I'm new to Asuswrt-Merlin on the R7000 coming from dd-wrt. I installed 380.67.0, and it seems to be working OK, but I have a bunch of questions. Here's the 1st.

I have 4 wireless networks defined on 2.4G. But it seems the Hide SSID option is not working. Is this a bug? With Hide either enabled or disabled, a scan from my Android phone always shows all 4 WiFi networks.

Outside of the issues of AsusWRT on an R7000...

Hiding an SSID has no benefit.

Little tip - having multiple SSID's on a single AP - each additional SSID extracts an overhead toll - best is to have one, two at most...

Outside of the issues of AsusWRT on an R7000...

Hiding an SSID has no benefit.

Little tip - having multiple SSID's on a single AP - each additional SSID extracts an overhead toll - best is to have one, two at most...
That article has good insights on why hiding an SSID has no security benefit. My goal is not to keep out a bad guy, which as the article says, is likely impossible. My goal is to keep the SSID from being visible to a guest who will suddenly need to decide which of 4 SSIDs to use. It seems easier for them if I hide the ones they do not care about and only make visible the one they can get on. I also would like to isolate the traffic for the 4 logical streams from each other which should be possible if they have different SSIDs.

As far as the issues of AsusWRT on the R7000, I'll need to do some research about that, but I do not see any major issues in my usage, just some nits here and there. Maybe my configuration is such that it might not show those issues.

Anyway, thanks to all who made this firmware as solid as it is.

That article has good insights on why hiding an SSID has no security benefit. My goal is not to keep out a bad guy, which as the article says, is likely impossible. My goal is to keep the SSID from being visible to a guest who will suddenly need to decide which of 4 SSIDs to use. It seems easier for them if I hide the ones they do not care about and only make visible the one they can get on. I also would like to isolate the traffic for the 4 logical streams from each other which should be possible if they have different SSIDs.

As far as the issues of AsusWRT on the R7000, I'll need to do some research about that, but I do not see any major issues in my usage, just some nits here and there. Maybe my configuration is such that it might not show those issues.

Anyway, thanks to all who made this firmware as solid as it is.

For the next version of AsusWRT-Merlin, please consider adding in the capability to hide the SSIDs individually for the Guest WiFi networks. As it is, you can hide the SSID of the main WiFi network but not the SSIDs of all of the guest networks which are viewable. And also please add the option to isolate the traffic for each network from each other. For me anyway, that would give me the same capability I had when I was using dd-wrt.

For the next version of AsusWRT-Merlin, please consider adding in the capability to hide the SSIDs individually for the Guest WiFi networks. As it is, you can hide the SSID of the main WiFi network but not the SSIDs of all of the guest networks which are viewable. And also please add the option to isolate the traffic for each network from each other. For me anyway, that would give me the same capability I had when I was using dd-wrt.

Instead why not just use a single (.) period for your SSID? When people see a list of WiFi networks some people will just think it is a spec of dirt on their screen.

For anyone doing a full scan using a WiFi utility they will see the network details just as they would see it if you didn't broadcast the SSID.

Double down on a useless idea.

Time to go back to dd-wrt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk