What's new

Upgraded AX86u to 388.2.2 and win10 wifi can't see the 5ghz SSID.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abc5

Occasional Visitor
This seems silly, but I've been running merlin on this AX router for a year. This spring I updated the firmware and my laptop no longer was able to find my 5GHZ SSID. It could only find my 2.4GHZ network (I always had both).

I say silly because my IOS apple phone can still see the 5GHZ SSID, which is not set to HIDDEN.

I just updated the router to 388.2.2, but still the same issue (for this one PC that is WIFI6 capable.)

I've renamed the name of the SSID for the 5GHZ SSID, still can't see it whilst my phone can see the new name, and I just checked another PC and it can see the new SSID.

Again, had this issue for months and now decided to write up about it... So, the basic things are yes, the PC has been rebooted numerous times to check.

I tried the diagnosis of a few sites, including this one to no benefit.

From which firmware version did you update to the 388.2_2 firmware?

After upgrading to 388.xxx level firmware, have you fully reset the router? Without using any saved backup config files?

If you can find WiFi on all other devices, then it's clearly a problem with your PC, try reinstalling the drivers or OS.

This seems silly, but I've been running merlin on this AX router for a year. This spring I updated the firmware and my laptop no longer was able to find my 5GHZ SSID. It could only find my 2.4GHZ network (I always had both).

I say silly because my IOS apple phone can still see the 5GHZ SSID, which is not set to HIDDEN.

I just updated the router to 388.2.2, but still the same issue (for this one PC that is WIFI6 capable.)

I've renamed the name of the SSID for the 5GHZ SSID, still can't see it whilst my phone can see the new name, and I just checked another PC and it can see the new SSID.

Again, had this issue for months and now decided to write up about it... So, the basic things are yes, the PC has been rebooted numerous times to check.

I tried the diagnosis of a few sites, including this one to no benefit.

From the laptop Device Manager, uninstall the wireless adapter Device, then reboot. When the reboot happens Windows will reinstall the drivers. This should clear any hiccups.
You will need to reapply the SSID and password as if new out of the box.

Make sure the wireless software is up to date as well.

Did you do a full reset after flashing the firmware, without restoring a backup file?
Windows 10 is incompatible with WPA3, so best to set WPA2/WPA3 combined on 5GHz.

WPA3 has nothing to do with Windows, only with hardware device compatibility.
You are indeed correct - I stand corrected.
If the WiFi was connected previously on WPA2 and that network is still in window's list it won't connect to the WPA3 without 'forgetting' the old network first. My advice re WPA2/WPA3 stands, as a test only.

You are indeed correct - I stand corrected.
If the WiFi was connected previously on WPA2 and that network is still in window's list it won't connect to the WPA3 without 'forgetting' the old network first. My advice re WPA2/WPA3 stands, as a test only.
It is true that Windows will not automatically connect to a network with authorization changes, but "forgetting" is not necessary, and it will still show up in the list of available networks instead of not being found.

What kind of wlan adapter is built in?
Or what chipset is it?
For some intel chipsets you need to load new drivers from intel.

@Shino @abc5 What Wi-Fi channel are you using? Have you tried manually setting a channel on the router, e.g. "36" with a bandwidth of "20/40/80"?

Last edited:
On the laptop, forget the wireless network and then reconnect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!