What's new

High End Router Recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tablo

Occasional Visitor
What's currently considered the best of the high end AC routers for range/signal strength?
Friend doesn't get coverage in some parts of his house/property, he's probably running the stock time warner gear (he's getting home now about to check), and I figure best thing for him to do is to get a new router, and then maybe an extender if that still isn't enough.

The Linksys WRT1900AC seems really nice, not sure if the new AC2350 or AC3200 routers are even worth it, he's not going to be constrained by throughput. More concerned here with range/reliability...

For the record I have a NETGEAR R7000 + Motorola SB6141 and am pretty happy, but we're not in a situation where range is an issue.

Wait so it seems his current setup is an older arris modem connected to a weird Sprint Airvana thing. WTH?

I hope he can emancipate himself from Sprint because I'd just throw that weird booster thing out and plug in a real router lol.

What's currently considered the best of the high end AC routers for range/signal strength?
Friend doesn't get coverage in some parts of his house/property, he's probably running the stock time warner gear (he's getting home now about to check), and I figure best thing for him to do is to get a new router, and then maybe an extender if that still isn't enough.

The Linksys WRT1900AC seems really nice, not sure if the new AC2350 or AC3200 routers are even worth it, he's not going to be constrained by throughput. More concerned here with range/reliability...

For the record I have a NETGEAR R7000 + Motorola SB6141 and am pretty happy, but we're not in a situation where range is an issue.

Are you sure you NEED and can benefit from 11ac? given your kinds of client devices.And your ISP speed.

Are you sure you NEED and can benefit from 11ac? given your kinds of client devices.And your ISP speed.

He might as well get an AC router considering new devices support the standard.
Conversely if there's a cost effective Wireless N option that has awesome range/reliability then that could be considered instead of shelling out 180$+ dollars.

He might as well get an AC router considering new devices support the standard.
Conversely if there's a cost effective Wireless N option that has awesome range/reliability then that could be considered instead of shelling out 180$+ dollars.

Except for the connoisseur or diddler, I'm in the camp that says a $50-75 WiFi router, chosen wisely, if just fine.

Best bet get a good router and add wired access points. Now when you say 'high end' that suggests a $Grand or more. :D

Best bet get a good router and add wired access points. Now when you say 'high end' that suggests a $Grand or more. :D

I'm assuming high-end means consumer high-end, like $200-300 area. I wouldn't worry about wireless-AC from a range point of view, unless they're planning on getting some wireless-AC clients.

Personally, I'd get a Netgear R7000, try it out, and if it doesn't do the job, return it. There are also other alternatives if a single wireless router doesn't do the job for them.

Now I'll grant you, the all in one modem/router/access points from ISPs often suck, so, yeah, looking at replacing the AP portion is a good idea. However, often if you can't cover an area, a "better" router/access point isn't going to help. Relocating or adding access points is generally what is going to help out the most.

That said, if there IS coverage, but it is poor through put, a newer router might help with that even if it doesn't actually coverage any more physical space.

The wireless signal is quite unpredictable, so there's no 'bettter' router than another in terms of coverage, except in cases of basement bargain priced ones.

Like others have said, a secondary access point or other method (like just a hard wire connection) will be the best solution.

The wireless signal is quite unpredictable, so there's no 'bettter' router than another in terms of coverage, except in cases of basement bargain priced ones.

Like others have said, a secondary access point or other method (like just a hard wire connection) will be the best solution.
+1 on that advice.

Far too many people think a WiFi router is like a broadcast radio station. No, it's two-way. There are bad WiFi routers and APs. But the vast majority, for the same standard, are distinguished only by their Web pages for Admin, Look and feel.

An extreme over simplification, but if you want to believe that, sure. My experience has shown different and just looking at SNB's charts you can see a rather large difference between the best and the worst routers in terms of range and speed that are of the exact same "class".

The difference between one decent router and another decent router, however, is likely to be very minor. Between a decent and a very good one, probably noticable. Then again, I nit pick and the difference between 150Mbps and 180Mbps of actual usable performance is a notable difference to me.