What's new

Home network...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kramanat

New Around Here
Here is the setup in my house. The Fiber Optic from the provider comes to a junction box in the house. From there, Cat5 cables are run around the house and there are various connection sockets for Cable/Broadband and telephone.

I have used one of the broadband sockets in the ground floor to a 5 port switch and connected the following: a PS3 and a WD TV Hub. In the first floor, there is a wireless router and through it a desktop computer.

I would like the WDTV Hub to be able to access the desktop hard disk and the Hard disk attached to the router via USB.

How do I go about setting up a home network where these devices talk to each other?

Thanks a ton...

Are the broadband sockets RJ45? Where do they connect to? Is it as easy as plugging one of the switch ports in to your broadband socket on that floor?

Yes, they are RJ45 outlets. The switch port is connected to the socket in the ground floor using RJ45.

Just plug one of the lan ports of the wireless router in to the wall socket then and you should be golden...

Sorry, did not understand that - the router is connected to the network throuhg a socket. Are you asking me to plug in an output from the router into another socket?

If that's what is the recommendation - problem is that in each location, there is only 1 outlet. With that being used for input to the router, how do I get an output from the router to a socket?

OK, so maybe I misunderstood... Sounds like your RJ45 sockets are all connected to the internet via cable or DSL or something? I gathered by reading that the upstairs socket was connected to the basement?

So right now all of your devices downstairs are picking up an internet IP just to clarify?

The bottom floor sockets are not connected directly to the top floor. They are all connected to a junction box in the house where the external incoming line ends.

As such, there are 9/10 sockets for internet around the house and right now, 2 have been activated. The one in the top floor has the router plugged in. The one in the bottom floor has a switch plugged in to which the PS3, WD TV and Cable box are connected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!