What's new

Home VPN server question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yoshka Pundrik

New Around Here
Newbie here. I have a local sports package on my cable that allows me to stream my local MLB team’s games to my phone and other portable devices via its internet site. However, the streaming service is geo-specific and only works within my provider’s service area and I am frequently outside the area. And unfortunately, MLB has priced me out of using their service. My question: is there any way to allow my devices to connect to the internet through my home IP address (i.e. something like a home VPN server) so I can watch while out of market? Will a VPN enabled router like an Asus AC-68U or one flashed with DD-WRT allow it to act as a server for the remote connections to the internet? I've been using PIA for a couple of years, so I'm competent enough to set up my Android devices to connect to a server, but I have no clue on setting up the other end. Any help is appreciated and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Last edited:
Newbie here. I have a local sports package on my cable that allows me to stream my local MLB team’s games to my phone and other portable devices via its internet site. However, the streaming service is geo-specific and only works within my provider’s service area and I am frequently outside the area. And unfortunately, MLB has priced me out of using their service. My question: is there any way to allow my devices to connect to the internet through my home IP address (i.e. something like a home VPN server) so I can watch while out of market? Will a VPN enabled router like an Asus AC-68U or one flashed with DD-WRT allow it to act as a server for the remote connections to the internet? I've been using PIA for a couple of years, so I'm competent enough to set up my Android devices to connect to a server, but I have no clue on setting up the other end. Any help is appreciated and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
You can do what you describe by configuring OpenVPN Server on Asuswrt-Merlin. Here are the instructions I wrote up recently:

https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

Set Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic to Yes so all client traffic will be routed to your home OpenVPN Server. Let me know if you have questions.

You can check the latest VPN reviews here https://10best-vpn.com. This site for sure will help you to find the best VPN