What's new

How do I setup my ADSL router as bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

medwatt

Regular Contributor
I receive internet through a Hauwei HG531s (ADSL2+ modem + wireless router). Because this router is very limited when it comes to things like QoS, I got a Asus RT-AC66U router. The Asus router is connected to one of the LAN ports on the Huawei router and I use it as the only wireless router in the house as I’ve disabled the WLAN on the Huawei router.

What I want to do is use dyndns to get access to the web interface of the Asus router when I’m not at home.

Here’s how my network is presently connected:

1. The Huawei router connects to the ISP through PPPoE. I already know my username and password. When I’m connected, I notice that I’m behind a carrier grade NAT because the Huawei router gets assigned an address such as 10.x.x.x (which is a private address) and my public address is something completely different. Here’s a screenshot of the Huawei router as configured by the ISP.

2. The Asus router is connected to the first LAN port of the Huawei router which is already assigned a static IP of 192.168.1.200. I can access the web interface of the Huawei router through 192.168.1.1.

3. The Asus router through which everyone gets WiFi has DHCP enabled. I can access the web interface of the Asus router through 192.168.6.1.

Any time I want to access the internet, I go through 192.168.6.1 -> 192.168.1.1 -> 10.200.144.1 -> 41.205.231.221.

What I first tried to do was to make my Huawei router (ISP modem) transparent. I tried to set it up in bridge mode and connect to my ISP through the Asus router. Here’s a screenshot of the Huawei router working in bridge mode. However, I was not able to connect. I got "Authentication failed! Please check PPPoE Username and PPPoE Password". So, I thought maybe my account is tied to the mac address of the Huawei router. Luckily, I can change the mac address of the Asus router, which I changed to that of the Huawei router. This time, I got "No response from your Internet Service Provider(ISP), please consult your ISP." This might be due to mac address conflict, although I’m not sure.

I returned everything back to normal and tried to DMZ my Asus router on the Huawei router so that I can use dyndns. No luck there. I then tried to configure dyndns directly on the Huawei router. Again, no luck.

So, I have two questions:

1. How can I make the Huawei router transparent? In other words, why am I getting authentication failed when configured the Huawei router as a bridge and used the same username and password ?

2. How can I use dyndns in such scenarios ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!