What's new

How does the newer Linksys WRT610N v2 (also known as E3000) compare to the WNDR3700?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

I'm starting to struggle with my Netgear WNDR3700, there seems to be absolutely no follow-up on this unit from Netgear whatsoever?

We've seen like one firmewire since the stock one?
The QoS is still completely broke, and the firmware has this total lack of advanced features.

So I'm considering going back to a Broadcom based Linksys solution, as that gives me full DD-WRT support, I also have had much better experience with Broadcom based routers in the past compared to Atheros and Ubicom based units like the WNDR3700 (Atheros) and DIR-655 (Ubicom / Atheros)

My last Broadcom based router was the WRT320N which is still to date the best router I've had when it comes to wireless coverage / range and 5GHz / 40Hz throughput, the WNDR3700 isn't bad but it still isn't on pair with how my Intel Centrino 6300 and the Broadcom card in my MacBook Pro was combined with the Broadcom WiFi inside the WRT320N.

Only problem was the WRT320 felling a little short when it came to raw power, I do need a router able of handling lots of simultaneous connections at once without going haywire, and the WRT320N didn't really cut it.. But the WNDR3700 does, it's only the lack of a decent QoS that makes me go mad, it's simply not working at all.

Then we have this newer WRT610N v2 / E3000 with supposedly the most powerful routing solution offered by Broadcom to date, and it also have full DD-WRT support.

How would this one compare to the WNDR3700 on both raw performance / power and wireless connectivity? (I guess it doesn't feature the same NIC as the WRT320N, but something newer which doesn't always result in something better performing.)

Slightly off-topic, but.... what kind of throughput were you getting for the MacBook Pro / 5GHz / 40MHz setup?

Also, did you ever try to connect from the MacBook Pro to either router at 2.4Ghz / 40Mhz? Reason I'm asking is this thread...

Thanks...

it looks like tim just tested the E3000 and its been added to the charts. And its wireless performance, lan to wan, and wan to lan isnt as great as the Netgear WNDR3700, but it can handle more connections. I would stick with the netgear until something better comes out.

I got me the WNDR3700 some days ago, the performance is simply off the charts. I have to agree though, the firmware sucks and DD-WRT for it is only beta right now :(. I'm just hoping for a quick support.

Using a Macbook Pro I get 18MB/s uploading 4GB ISO files from MBP to LAN and 12MB/s LAN to WLAN on 5GHz.

Last edited:
Enjoy reading your experiences with WNDR3700. RF interference still plague these routers. Lousy LAN to LAN in Gig. Are you playing 100-400mbps in a Gig router. Crazy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!