What's new

How long before AC3200 is "unsafe"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sure, it's your call. I shared my thoughts as you asked for on your OP.
I do appreciate your thoughts, please don't misunderstand. I was just picking at the rationale to see if there was something in your logic I was missing. I do see your point, but I think I'm more concerned about security vulnerabilities than him clicking on a scam. That may change if I see his cognitive abilities significantly decline. The good thing is I have access to his email so I check it regularly.

Thanks again for your input.

Just a note for anyone else who wanders here, ASUS is continuing to issue security updates for the AC-3200
Version 3.0.0.4.382.52288
2020/08/17 35.16 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52288
- Fixed RCE vulnerability.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.

Has Merlin fully ended support for the RT-AC3200, or will he keep issuing updates from time to time as Asus does? I've got that model, and am starting to look around at possible upgrades.

Most often when I check someone's router or modem, it's about 4-8 years out of date on firmware... so my feeling is most people don't check that stuff very often, and if you're even relatively up-to-date (but not totally), you're probably in a lower risk category. Spam, fake ads - easy to solve with web browser addons and programs on your computer itself.
In that case I'd get a replacement. Have a look at the list of Merlin supported models and choose the one that fits your budget, he's just added new wifi 6 models last April so you're in luck.

Based on specs the RT-AX56U would likely be a good choice with a limited budget, though I don't own one so I can't really vouch for it but you can search the forum for any info on it plus reviews etc.
I'm in Canada. I'd like to get one of the new AX models, but availability is not great here. The supported models are out of stock at most retailers, and massively overpriced on Amazon. The most affordable AX model is actually the RT-AX92U, which unfortunately does not seem to be supported at this time? Yes, one of the higher end AX's is the cheapest because there's less demand for it. (It's also only dual-core.)

Has Merlin fully ended support for the RT-AC3200, or will he keep issuing updates from time to time as Asus does? I've got that model, and am starting to look around at possible upgrades.
Based on RMerlin's input from other threads, it does look like Merlin 384.13_10 is the end of the road for the RT-AC3200 and the RT-AC87U.
Most often when I check someone's router or modem, it's about 4-8 years out of date on firmware... so my feeling is most people don't check that stuff very often, and if you're even relatively up-to-date (but not totally), you're probably in a lower risk category. Spam, fake ads - easy to solve with web browser addons and programs on your computer itself.

I'm in Canada. I'd like to get one of the new AX models, but availability is not great here. The supported models are out of stock at most retailers, and massively overpriced on Amazon. The most affordable AX model is actually the RT-AX92U, which unfortunately does not seem to be supported at this time? Yes, one of the higher end AX's is the cheapest because there's less demand for it. (It's also only dual-core.)
If your router is working fine I'd wait a few months before buying a new one since RMerlin may add support for more AX models once the migration to the new 386 code has been completed.

Keep an eye on the forum and firmware releases for the other models in case a serious security vulnerability is published affecting Asus routers, if one comes out you could consider upgrading sooner rather than later.

If you can find a good deal on one of the supported models for Black Friday it may be worth getting. I wouldn't buy a Merlin unsupported model like the RT-AX92U as there's no guarantee he will support it in future.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!