What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After installing this FW version in my AX88U I am facing an issue in the client list of the network map that did not occur me before (apart from that, it is working well so far): the client list view does not refresh (even pressing the refresh button, the moving circle does not appear), and when you press view list, all the data shown is also frozen (not updating), including the Tx and Rx Rate and connection time.

I have read here that network map has not worked well from ages (although it was fine for me in the past, without any issues in any of the previous FW) and that it is closed source, but I would like to know if there is a way to re-start this service without re-booting the router (after a reboot it works ... for some days, until it freezes again ..) just without disturbing the internet use of people at home.

The client list in Aimesh page seems to be updating and the wireless log also refreshes :( ...

Or maybe is it possible to be a corrupted database?
Any help or hint is welcomed.
Coming back to the problem, I have seen that around six days after the reboot, the client list is again frozen without possibility to refresh. Previous frozen state was also after around six days from reboot. Not a big deal but it is driving me nuts because I see not a clear relationship about the reason of six days working and from then, frozen ... Maybe is only a coincidence.

I have no problems of RAM (around 55% used) nor in the jffs partition.

The cipher line is just a warning indicating that you might have issues if your remote end is running a very old version (older than 2.4). Your actual problem lies with the missing Certificate Authority certificate.
Thank RMerlin, finally self-learned from this site :https://www.vpnuniversity.com/routers/how-to-setup-openvpn-asuswrt-merlin, to manually import the CA certificate back in the Crypto Setting, the VPN client works again.

Thanks for all the advices from Members here.

Cant setup AIMesh after upgrading to 388.1
I have AX-3000 as router and AX56U that I had as ai mesh node.
All of a sudden I am seeing the node is missing from the Mesh nodes list and set as repeater in the client list.
I tried to reset the node and re apply it as AiMesh not but without success.
The router does detect the AX56U but after finishing to set it up it doesn't appear.

Any idea of what might be the issue?

Setup:
Modem --- (wan) AX-3000 (lan) --- (wan) AX-56U

Cant setup AIMesh after upgrading to 388.1
I have AX-3000 as router and AX56U that I had as ai mesh node.
All of a sudden I am seeing the node is missing from the Mesh nodes list and set as repeater in the client list.
I tried to reset the node and re apply it as AiMesh not but without success.
The router does detect the AX56U but after finishing to set it up it doesn't appear.

Any idea of what might be the issue?

Setup:
Modem --- (wan) AX-3000 (lan) --- (wan) AX-56U
hi, i think you must do it the first time with cable, not with wifi, try and see if work.

Good afternoon everyone.
After updating Merlin from 386.7 to 388.1, I have an issue with the Wireguard VPN client.
Every time I reboot the router, this client appears at not connected, with a log message such as 'no such device'.
My VPN supplier is AirVPN.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.

Edit: I'm talking about an ASUS RT-AX86U. I have already Wireguard Manager from Entware, but I wanted give a try to Asus Merlin GUI Wireguard Client.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone.
After updating Merlin from 386.7 to 388.1, I have an issue with the Wireguard VPN client.
Every time I reboot the router, this client appears at not connected, with a log message such as 'no such device'.
My VPN supplier is AirVPN.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.

Edit: I'm talking about an ASUS RT-AX86U. I have already Wireguard Manager from Entware, but I wanted give a try to Asus Merlin GUI Wireguard Client.
you will likely receive other responses but i've had several issues with vpn including wireguard on the 388 release. everything returned to normal after reverting back to 386.72 - by far the most stable rel.

the 2/7 "official" release mentions a fix for wireguard that is specific to surfshark. you may want to check, but i doubt if 388 contains this fix. at this point, taking a "wait & see" course may be the most prudent.

45 days and still going strong...

1676899140402.png

I'm having issues with seeing the 6 GHz band with my new 2023 MacBook Pro. I've been searching around about the issue and found the following thread below. One post talks about “Reduced Neighbor Reports” (RNRs) to advertise the presence of 6 GHz networks on the router. Anyone familiar with that on the ASUS routers, specifically the GT-AXE11000? I'm using the Merlin 388.1 build. I also have an Alienware laptop and it can see and connect to the 6GHz band just fine. So wondering if it's a bug with the MacBook or Router. I contacted Apple support and they have no idea what the issue is at the moment.

A couple of "events" that I've noticed. Neither stop me doing anything at all, but I haven't seen them before this firmware release, so, just-in-case:

ALL the content of 'Authorised Keys' on this page: /Advanced_System_Content.asp are lost (i.e. deleted / removed) after any re-boot. Have local copy, so it's easy to add that again, in order to invoke SSH access only via key, not password, but never seen this previously. Anyone else noticed this?

DDNS via WebUI now works much, much better than it did previously and this includes the IPv6 address as well as the IPv4 address, which is great. However... IF... I try and add content for a second DDNS provider so as to operate this, with the existing WebUI DDNS setup (i.e. updating multiple DDNS services) exactly as per THIS Merlin link, by creating a /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add file, this just doesn't work at all now. Yet previously, it did, every single time, without fail. I see that in the 'other' firmware (386.9 which will soon be 386.10 for AC Routers), inadyn has been upgraded to the 2.10 release. Maybe, I'll just need to wait for the upgrade to take place in 388.2 (?) before investigating this further, but just curious to know if anybody else has noticed this too?

Anyone else unable to keep the LEDs on the front off?
Working perfektly here...

By the way: Is it possible to have a signature with the modell you are referring to?

Sorry for the question, I have an old AC56U that is becoming "instable" (a ten-years old machine could to this...), so I want upgrade to a new AX model.
A reasonable cost/price model for me should be the AX86S, but it is not a "supported model" by Merlin fw, despite the previous AC86U and the more powerfull AX86U are supported.

Someone is using the Merlin fw on the AX86S, probably installing the fw version released for the AX86U ?

On the official ASUS websites the two models seem to be very similar, the four main differences are:
- CPU 2-core (AX86S) vs 4-core (AX86U)
- 512MB RAM vs 1GB RAM
- second USB port is 2.0 on AX86S, 3.2 on AX86U
- leak of 2.5 GB WAN/LAN port on AX86S, with the leakness of the relative LED

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestion

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!